IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Who changes their own oil and how?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-16, 01:05 AM
jeeper2269
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Who changes their own oil and how?

Where is the oil filter?

My buddy has a suction thing he uses on his BMW and swears by it.....
Thoughts ??
Old 01-19-16, 02:39 AM
Zodiac00
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just go to the dealer plus it kinda gives a little insurance
Old 01-19-16, 06:12 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Did your father not perform the fatherly function of teaching you how to do this?

It really should be a lesson in any American's life to learn how to change the oil in a car.

The fact you said "suction thing"....scares me. Have the dealership do it. Otherwise, I sense a thread titled "My car stopped running abruptly...no oil in motor"
Old 01-19-16, 06:55 AM
rL-gT
Lead Lap

Received 111 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Swacer
Did your father not perform the fatherly function of teaching you how to do this?

It really should be a lesson in any American's life to learn how to change the oil in a car.

The fact you said "suction thing"....scares me. Have the dealership do it. Otherwise, I sense a thread titled "My car stopped running abruptly...no oil in motor"
Most german brands use an oil sucker to perform their oil changes fyi.
Old 01-19-16, 06:58 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Interesting. Learn something everyday. I wouldn't' touch a german car with a 10ft pole, so won't apply much for me.
Old 01-19-16, 07:39 AM
Snowrydr01
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it is VERY easy. I do mine for the simple fact its easier for me to make it fit my schedule doing the 30 minutes in my driveway rather then coordinating dropping it at the dealer then picking it back up.

Drive up on ramps
remove under cover
drain fluid
swap filter
put drain plug back on
put cover back on
add 6.5Q

done

there is a walk through somewhere. the only tools needed are basic hand tools and a filter wrench. If you cant do it, buy the stuff and have a friend do it for some beers and a sandwich
Old 01-19-16, 11:49 AM
r0shiro
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

once you get used to it it shouldn't take you more than 20 minutes from pulling into the garage to pulling out.

Tools needed
  • hydraulic jack
  • jack stand (recommended)
  • 14mm socket for the oil drain plug
  • socket wrench compatible with the 14mm socket
  • funnel
  • paper towels (i prefer shop towels
  • disposable gloves (preference and recommended)
  • oil catching device
  • oil filter socket (personal preference)
  • oil filter (i like Toyota filters)
  • oil - look at your manual to see how much oil you'll need (i personally use Motul 300V but you don't need that type of protection unless you're tracking. stick with a full synthetic)

steps
  1. pop the hood and remove the engine oil cap - set aside
  2. jack up the car
  3. if your car isn't lowered (yet...lol) you can reach the front jack point (read the manual) with the hydraulic jack
  4. raise it high enough to fit jack stands underneath front side jack points (read the manual).
  5. place jack stands underneath the front side jack points and release the hydraulic jack slowly onto the jack stands
  6. place hydraulic jack aside
  7. place oil catching device underneath the oil pan
  8. take socket and wrench and remove the bolt and washer
  9. let oil drain. should be no more than five minutes. Once the oil starts to drip slowly place the bolt and washer back on.
  10. remove the trap door on the underliner to access the oil filter
  11. move the oil catching device under the oil filter
  12. take socket wrench and oil filter socket and remove the oil filter
  13. even though the oil filter is right side up, oil will come out as soon as its loose enough. turn the oil filter upside down once you can get it close enough to the oil catching device to drain the oil from the filter. clean up the oil spillage on the car.
  14. open a new bottle of oil and with a clean finger take some of that oil and place it around the edge of the new filter where the filter meets the car. (only if oil filter is not already lubricated)
  15. place new filter on (hand tight only)
  16. remove everything from underneath the car
  17. jack it up again so that jack stands may be removed
  18. remove jack stands
  19. lower car slowly
  20. fill engine with new oil from the top of the engine bay through the oil cap (use the funnel)
  21. replace oil cap before turning engine on
  22. you're done!

sorry if it looks like a lot of steps but it truly isn't. you will be able to buy the oil you want at the PRICE you want and you won't have to pay for labor. and the TIME you'll save! It's getting harder to self maintain newer gen cars but I'm glad toyota is keeping some things the same. I'm not happy they removed the transmission dip stick but oh well. at least we have the oil dip stick...unlike the germans...good luck!

sorry edit...i forgot that the casing of the filter is now built in. the filter is truly now just a filter. when you remove the casing from underneath the car, remove the old filter, clean the metal casing and put the new filter in. sorry about that. so forget about the new oil on the filter step...
Old 01-19-16, 12:47 PM
sdotk
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's a DIY thread that was created some time ago but i'm far too lazy to find it.
It had pictures and detailed instructions and is definitely worth your time to find and learn.
Old 01-19-16, 02:49 PM
jeeper2269
Pole Position

I worked at an oil change shop after high school. I have changed the oil in every car I own. I was just asking where the filter was and wonder if the dipstick goes all the way to the bottom of the oil pan. If so, I am going to look into the suction method. I don't want to jack this car up in my garage. Getting under our lifted tundra is a little different this the Lex. Thanks for the input guys. Toyota is changing the oil this time for $65 Only two dealerships in Oregon and I am three hours away from them.
Old 01-19-16, 06:33 PM
Zodiac00
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Send me 50 PayPal and I'll personally make you a video on which ever model vehicle you on to perform this oil change
Old 01-19-16, 06:43 PM
gregerst
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As far as Oil changes go I'm all for doing it yourself. It'll save a bunch of money over time and you'll get some personal satisfaction from it. I buy a case of mobil1 full synthetic from costco for $28 and a K&N oil filter from Amazon for $10. As someone mentioned there's a DIY with pictures somewhere on here.
Old 01-19-16, 06:51 PM
gregerst
Driver

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...50-w-pics.html
Old 01-21-16, 10:15 PM
MWIS350
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Make sure you drain motor oil by oil filter. Not the transmission oil.
Old 01-22-16, 03:57 AM
Crew
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the helpful and insightful post.... ....Not only do many European vehicles get their oil changed by topside vacuum evacuation, but almost all runabout boats with 'Merican-made I/O engines do as well.

Last edited by Crew; 01-22-16 at 04:10 AM.
Old 01-23-16, 10:20 PM
jeeper2269
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Crew
Thanks for the helpful and insightful post.... ....Not only do many European vehicles get their oil changed by topside vacuum evacuation, but almost all runabout boats with 'Merican-made I/O engines do as well.
Ha, so I wasn't so far off after all. Thank you