IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Help me diagnose strange noise

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-15, 06:41 PM
ddvette9
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me diagnose strange noise

Currently I am on swift springs with invidia midpipe, tanabe underbrace and Cusco strut bar.

Whenever I am in a parking lot turning into parking spaces or driving slowly around or even turning into my driveway I have a deep creaking type sound that sounds awful. It's either the suspension going south, something with one of the strut bars or the bigger diameter mid pipe making contact with something when the car is turning. Car is noise free otherwise even over soles bumps, just happens to sound nasty when making turn ins going 2-5 mph.

Anyone have any ideas?
Old 12-11-15, 07:48 PM
Taideee
Rookie

can you record a video or audio ?
Old 12-11-15, 08:09 PM
ddvette9
Pole Position

I can try tomorrow
Old 12-12-15, 12:52 PM
gregerst
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did it start creaking after one of the after market parts was installed? I had a car that made what I could only describe as a creaking sound too, like an old battleship lol, but it only happened over certain bumps and speeds and was coming from what I thought was the rear of the car. I heard it every day when I would pull into or out of the parking lot at work.
It started after I lowered the car so I spent a ton of time focusing on the coilovers and suspension components that I installed. I probably took the rear suspension out 4 times trying to locate and eliminate it. I realized that I could reproduce the noise in the garage by pushing down on the rear suspension just enough but it was still very hard to isolate exactly where it was coming from. But after a lot hours into it I discovered that it coming from a big rubber bushing that's in between the frame and body located about midway under the car. I took the bolt out that was holding the bushing in and jacked up the body of the car slightly in that area to take the pressure off of the bushing. I took the jack out put the bolt back in and no more noise. The bushing must have gotten tweaked just enough from lowering the suspension to make it do that.
Anyway don't know whether this will help with your situation or not but keep it in mind. I wish somebody would have told me to check frame bushings when my car was creaking. good luck.
Old 12-12-15, 04:29 PM
ddvette9
Pole Position

Thanks for the help. I'm honestly not planning on keeping the car for a long time so it might just be something I deal with until I trade the car in. If I put the radio on I don't hear a thing. Guess I will cross my fingers and hope something doesn't break lol.
Old 12-14-15, 08:48 AM
hovik92
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Try removing your wheels and putting them back on very cautiously and correctly. I had creaking and it was because one of the wheels had been put on too loose. Good luck!
Old 12-16-15, 09:00 AM
Vitik16
Driver School Candidate

Default Sway Bar Bushings

Hi,

The problem is the sway bar bushings - they need to be lubricated. Please let me know if this works - take it to your local dealership and let them know
Old 06-15-16, 04:29 PM
gymjenkie
Rookie

https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=%...%21141&o=OneUp

Did it sound like or did you ever found the time to go in?