IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Fair price to install Big Brake Kit!

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-15, 02:29 PM
CobraGSF
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Fair price to install Big Brake Kit!

hey guys placed the order for my RR Big Brake Kit. super excited!!! a shop i have frequented in the past quoted me $600-$700 to install saying its a full day of labor. I know their work is top notch, but i feel like that price is high what do you guys think? i feel like it could be better

-also should i wait until after the winter to put them on? so the salt and stuff doesn't rust it out. would like to enjoy them nice and new and not messed up. ( i know this is more of an opinionated question) thanks!
Old 12-05-15, 02:52 PM
brendanf
Advanced

Received 148 Likes on 90 Posts

That price sounds high to me.

It should only take a technician 2 or 3 hours at most to install a BBK. Not sure what labour rates are like in your area but even at $100 an hour that's only $300 worse case.

Installing a BBK is fairly easy. The only thing you will really need is someone to help bleed the brakes since someone typically sits in the car pumping the brakes while the other person opens and closes the bleeder screws.
Old 12-05-15, 02:57 PM
J3ffrey
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is this on an is350 f sport? my brakes are so freaking strong on mine I cant imagine trying to upgrade them..
Old 12-05-15, 03:24 PM
CobraGSF
Lead Lap

thank you brendanf for the reply. yeah i was thinking along the same lines as you. 300-400 is what i originally thought would be reasonable

-J3ffrey yes this is for a 350 fsport. my oem brakes are coming to the end of their life. and i wanted to treat myself. but yes the OEM brakes are very strong and more than enough. This is more of an aesthetic upgrade, because i don't really track my car and ill never need this kinda stopping power lol. but i always wanted one so i figured why not. it'll look nice with all the other mods i have done haha
Old 12-05-15, 03:40 PM
J3ffrey
Intermediate

Originally Posted by shivad87
thank you brendanf for the reply. yeah i was thinking along the same lines as you. 300-400 is what i originally thought would be reasonable

-J3ffrey yes this is for a 350 fsport. my oem brakes are coming to the end of their life. and i wanted to treat myself. but yes the OEM brakes are very strong and more than enough. This is more of an aesthetic upgrade, because i don't really track my car and ill never need this kinda stopping power lol. but i always wanted one so i figured why not. it'll look nice with all the other mods i have done haha
Got it.

I'm coming from a 2007 is 250... which I thought the brakes were great on, until this is350 fsport. It's like incredible how fast this thing stops!

I even had a 2002 SS camaro before the 250 and I though the camaro brakes were good. They aren't even close to the 350 sport!

Either way enjoy the mod!!
Old 12-05-15, 07:45 PM
Taideee
Rookie

hey guys placed the order for my RR Big Brake Kit. super excited!!! a shop i have frequented in the past quoted me $600-$700 to install saying its a full day of labor. I know their work is top notch, but i feel like that price is high what do you guys think? i feel like it could be better

-also should i wait until after the winter to put them on? so the salt and stuff doesn't rust it out. would like to enjoy them nice and new and not messed up. ( i know this is more of an opinionated question) thanks!

Work getting done?
Rotors + calipers + pads + wiring + bleed of brakes/reflush?

and don't worry about the salt, just get it done. You can always apply protection over it for cheap
Old 12-05-15, 08:58 PM
CobraGSF
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Taideee
Work getting done?
Rotors + calipers + pads + wiring + bleed of brakes/reflush?

and don't worry about the salt, just get it done. You can always apply protection over it for cheap
that is correct Taideee. New rotors, calipers pads, stainless steel brake lines, and bleed/reflush of brakes on all 4.

-ok thanks, any particular item i could use to protect them from the salt?
Old 12-06-15, 02:57 AM
ramlawih
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

that is correct Taideee. New rotors, calipers pads, stainless steel brake lines, and bleed/reflush of brakes on all 4.

-ok thanks, any particular item i could use to protect them from the salt?
Where did you get the stainless steel brake lines from. i dont seem to find any to buy online so i can ship to the UAE.
Old 12-06-15, 04:37 PM
Taideee
Rookie

honestly lets put it this way.
I put brakes as a safety on a car.
I rather spend the extra money making sure they I will be safe than trying to save coupe hundred on a less reliable mechanic. Your choice lol
Old 12-07-15, 12:22 AM
Taideee
Rookie

a good guide on how to install

Old 12-07-15, 06:53 AM
heyarms
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

Sounds a little high, not much. I assume your doing it yourself isnt an option? I install most all my stuff at home, brakes arent hard, its just the bleeding of them thats a pain, but you can install speed bleeders so you can do it yourself without help as well.
Old 12-07-15, 02:31 PM
CobraGSF
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ramlawih
Where did you get the stainless steel brake lines from. i dont seem to find any to buy online so i can ship to the UAE.
the stainless steel brake lines come with the kit from RR Racing. maybe you can contact them to see if they'd sell you the brake lines separately. Simon and Rafi are both very helpful and knowledgeable and I've seen that they've shipped to other member on this forum to your area. so shipping shouldnt be a problem.

Im usually good with DIY stuff, but for something as serious as this i don't know if i trust myself haha. i would rather pay and get it done right. but don't want to be ripped off either...

-now they're quoting me $450 i spoke to the other owner that works there lol. heck i may end up doing it myself after all and save some $$ thanks guys