IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

LED turn signal question

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-15, 02:30 AM
KYLESTONES
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by J3ffrey
You replaced just the fronts? Why not the backs?
I wanted to get rid of the amber in the headlight as well as match the colors of the lights up front (why I got white instead of Amber) and I didn't feel it's necessary for the rear.. Maybe I'll get them down the line but for now just the front is fine with me. Also I don't know where I would mount the resistor in the taillights
Old 12-02-15, 10:37 AM
OMVR
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I purchased a full LED setup from VLEDS (Front/Rear turn signals, reverse lights, trunk light, courtesy door lights, vanity lights, outside mirror puddle lights, foot well lights and front/rear interior dome lights). All of them fit perfectly and without any issues!

The most notable are my turn signals, the V3 Triton series that they carry. They are hands down the best and brightest that I've ever used. They do include a ballast, which is the only reason I haven't swapped out my rear signals yet as there's virtually no room unless I mount it inside the rear bumper.

These are the ones I'm using: V3 Triton Amber LED Switchback System

I can post pictures if you'd like to see them lit up.
Old 12-02-15, 12:04 PM
KYLESTONES
Driver

Originally Posted by OMVR
I purchased a full LED setup from VLEDS (Front/Rear turn signals, reverse lights, trunk light, courtesy door lights, vanity lights, outside mirror puddle lights, foot well lights and front/rear interior dome lights). All of them fit perfectly and without any issues!

The most notable are my turn signals, the V3 Triton series that they carry. They are hands down the best and brightest that I've ever used. They do include a ballast, which is the only reason I haven't swapped out my rear signals yet as there's virtually no room unless I mount it inside the rear bumper.

These are the ones I'm using: V3 Triton Amber LED Switchback System

I can post pictures if you'd like to see them lit up.
What do you need switchbacks for?
Old 12-02-15, 12:17 PM
Rebirthing
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by KYLESTONES
I wanted to get rid of the amber in the headlight as well as match the colors of the lights up front (why I got white instead of Amber) and I didn't feel it's necessary for the rear.. Maybe I'll get them down the line but for now just the front is fine with me. Also I don't know where I would mount the resistor in the taillights
There is a clear area in the rear where you can stick them
Old 12-02-15, 12:58 PM
OMVR
Rookie

Originally Posted by KYLESTONES
What do you need switchbacks for?
My apologies, I don't use the switchbacks. It's used for the same functionality as the OEM bulbs.

This would be the correct one.
Old 12-03-15, 06:17 AM
Ghozt
Driver School Candidate

Just a heads up...

The CREE from iJDMToy are very nice, and fit just fine in the front...but they will NOT fit the rears. I know because I bought all 4 to do front and rear and the bulbs for the rear are too long and won't clear the housing and lock into place.

Don't waste time and money buying those specific bulbs for the rear. I personally am seeking an error free bulb that will fit. Just tried another one that had a shorter length but of course, they were too fat!

Still on the hunt!
Old 12-03-15, 01:06 PM
Cconnors09
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Ghozt
Just a heads up...

The CREE from iJDMToy are very nice, and fit just fine in the front...but they will NOT fit the rears. I know because I bought all 4 to do front and rear and the bulbs for the rear are too long and won't clear the housing and lock into place.

Don't waste time and money buying those specific bulbs for the rear. I personally am seeking an error free bulb that will fit. Just tried another one that had a shorter length but of course, they were too fat!

Still on the hunt!
Really?? That's crazy I thought they fit on both the front and back. I looked at the housing today and it seemed like it had plenty of room to fit it
Old 12-03-15, 02:20 PM
Ghozt
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Cconnors09
Really?? That's crazy I thought they fit on both the front and back. I looked at the housing today and it seemed like it had plenty of room to fit it
I have a 2016... I assume my tail lights are the exact same as other years 3is.

Bulb was too long by a mm or 2... The end of the bulb hits the plastic just enough so they can't twist and lock.
Old 12-04-15, 12:54 PM
aIRpeACE
Rookie

have you consider HD ??
Old 12-04-15, 01:11 PM
Cconnors09
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by aIRpeACE
have you consider HD ??
I haven't really looked into it. I figured I'd stick with LED because the interior is swapped with it and it just looks good with the car but I haven't thought much about it. Can you provide pictures/video with it possibly?
Old 12-10-15, 12:20 PM
Cconnors09
Driver School Candidate

Just received my LEDs in the mail today and was attempting to see if they fit in the rear turn signals. It was the first time attempting to look at it and I wasn't sure do I need to remove the bumper to do this?
Old 12-18-15, 11:05 AM
Cconnors09
Driver School Candidate

just received mine in the mail and did a quick install.. i purchased 2 sets and they DO fit in the rear turn signals. these are my before and after pictures of the fronts

Old 12-18-15, 12:05 PM
KYLESTONES
Driver

Originally Posted by Cconnors09
just received mine in the mail and did a quick install.. i purchased 2 sets and they DO fit in the rear turn signals. these are my before and after pictures of the fronts

Pics of rear? How was the install ?
Old 12-20-15, 09:22 AM
Cconnors09
Driver School Candidate

That's the before and after. My install was kinda sloppy because I was in a rush to get to work but i ended up placing the rectangular decoder on the inside of the metal body but behind the lining of the trunk. I fed both the connector to the socket and the bulb itself through the rubber grommet hole (the grommet isn't in the hole it's kinda just there outside of the hole). I'll eventually make it cleaner by making big enough holes to feed both connectors through it but i was on a time crunch
Old 12-22-15, 09:13 AM
Ghozt
Driver School Candidate

Cconnors, which bulbs did you go with? The CREE bulbs I referenced that do not fit do not use a decoder... I'm guessing you went with the bulbs from VLED's?

I was looking for a plug and play bulb that would fit...no resistor, no decoder, etc.. The CREE bulbs were too long.

Please clarify where you got your bulbs and decoder

Quick Reply: LED turn signal question