IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Fresh detail and winter prep

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-15, 05:21 PM
Jeremy1976
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Fresh detail and winter prep

I detail cars professionally on the side. Finally got around to getting mine done today.

2 bucket wash, dried with Chemical Guys Cloud 9 towel and Afterwash, complete clay bar, glazed, paint sealed, topped with 100% Brazilian Carnauba. Tires dressed and wheels sealed even though they will be getting pulled off for winter.

Old 11-14-15, 05:23 PM
Jeremy1976
Driver

After claying. Prior to applying product.

Old 11-14-15, 05:26 PM
Jeremy1976
Driver

Old 11-16-15, 11:57 AM
StayTunedF
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great setup man
Old 11-16-15, 02:38 PM
KYLESTONES
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Winter prepped mine yesterday and came home off the train today with bird **** EVERYWHERE. I swear they can tell if a car was recently cleaned
Old 11-17-15, 08:22 AM
JCurtis3
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Awesome set-up.
Old 11-17-15, 09:37 AM
speedneed
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would love to do this for mine but live in an apartment complex without a hose. I only have the touch-less carwash down the road, which doesn't get everything off I have been able to use my GF's parents hose over the summer using 2 bucket method but not an option lately. Any recommendations? I have heard the waterless stuff leaves scratches.
Old 11-17-15, 10:30 AM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeremy1976
Great effort and good storage for the chemicals. I have yet to find time to prep mine to combat with the Winter.
Old 11-17-15, 08:38 PM
Jbreezie
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Nice! sealant and wax?! Overkill? What do I know, I put glaze and sealant on top of my opticoat haha
Old 11-18-15, 06:16 AM
Jeremy1976
Driver

Originally Posted by Jbreezie
Nice! sealant and wax?! Overkill? What do I know, I put glaze and sealant on top of my opticoat haha
In Wisconsin with the harsh winters and road salt I like to have a couple layers of protection!
Old 11-18-15, 06:19 AM
Jeremy1976
Driver

Originally Posted by speedneed
I would love to do this for mine but live in an apartment complex without a hose. I only have the touch-less carwash down the road, which doesn't get everything off I have been able to use my GF's parents hose over the summer using 2 bucket method but not an option lately. Any recommendations? I have heard the waterless stuff leaves scratches.

The key is to use enough of the waterless wash. It's also a lubricant and will prevent scratching. That and get the highest quality microfibers you can get. In between washes and if not super dirty I would just use a good detail spray with a sealant in it. I like the V07 Hybrid by Chemical Guys. That and the Happy Ending microfibers by them as well. Good luck to you!
Old 11-18-15, 09:20 AM
Vitik16
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

Amazing, your car looks absolutely gorgeous. I have a identical setup in Obsidian Black. However, i have major swirl marks all over the vehicle, and it's a 2015. Any recommendations on what to do in order for this car to look "new" again?

Regards,
Old 11-18-15, 10:31 AM
Jeremy1976
Driver

Originally Posted by Vitik16
Hi,

Amazing, your car looks absolutely gorgeous. I have a identical setup in Obsidian Black. However, i have major swirl marks all over the vehicle, and it's a 2015. Any recommendations on what to do in order for this car to look "new" again?

Regards,
To get rid of the swirls you would have to do paint correction using a dual action or rotary polisher, compound, and a cutting pad. The compound and cutting pad would be chosen based in how bad the swirls are in the clear coat. Always start with the least aggressive and do a test spot and reassess. It would be impossible to hand polish out the swirls. A good machine is needed. Your technique including speed of machine along with arm speed when you make the correction passes is crucial. There are glazes that will help fill and reduce the visibility of the swirls. The glazes can be applied by hand. Prior to applying I would wash the vehicle, do a full clay, then apply the glaze, then either a sealant or a good wax on top of that.

I would not recommend paint correction for the beginner. If you do not know what you are doing you could really jack up your paint. A good glaze I use on customer cars os called Black Light by Chemical Guys. Hope this helps.
Old 11-18-15, 02:30 PM
Antnie2418
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Vitik16
Hi,

Regards,
Biggest issue is that your paint is single stage (obsidian) so no matter what your always going to have swirls trust me I know my 2008 is was horrible to keep up with. Now I have 2014 ultra white and there is a huge difference but the paint still chips easy.

The best thing to do is get paint correction done professionally, get a clear bra then have Cquarts, Gtechniq, smart shield or some product like that on your car and that will help slow down / stop the swirl marks on your car. ALSO DO NOT TAKE IT TO A CAR WASH unless you like the swirl look on your car.
Old 11-18-15, 02:39 PM
CobraGSF
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

looking good! i have to winter prep my car as well. by the time i get home its always dark with the time change so i keep missing the opportunity. soon hopefully

Quick Reply: Fresh detail and winter prep