IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

New tires and now curbed

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-15, 12:43 PM
cantinoz
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New tires and now curbed

so i purchased 4 brand new conti DWS06 tires from tirebuyer.com last week. I had them installed last friday morning and it was great. Took a road trip to AC this weekend and coming back thru brooklyn i miscalculated my turn because i sit at the lowest setting in the car and i ran into the curb. I curbed both front/rear passenger Fsport rims, from tire has a like comestic crack above the curbed rims and rear tire now has a piece of rubber hanging loose from it. wtf...

I contacted continental and they said they could replace under total confidence plan. I just need to contact tirebuyer.com. they are asking for pictures and proof that they are really damaged. I sent the below pictures to them and they said I don't see a crack and could you please peel back the piece of rubber so I could see if there are exposed cords.

in my mind, im like WTF. this doesnt even look safe to drive on and i dont want to wait for a bubble or a blow out on the highway.

what do i do if tirebuyer says its only cosmetic and refused to replace?

Old 11-09-15, 01:18 PM
Machine13
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by cantinoz
what do i do if tirebuyer says its only cosmetic and refused to replace?
I would not expect them to have to foot the bill for damage they are not responsible for. Unless you paid for some total replacement plan that covers this type of damage, then anything they do for you here is good will. If they wont replace it free of charge, maybe you can ask if they'll give 1/2 off a replacement. Alternatively, if they do say it's just cosmetic, then just bite the bullet and live with your mistake, or buy a replacement.
Old 11-09-15, 02:05 PM
Toyotero22
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The exact thing happened to me only my tire rip was more than an inch. This is something purely cosmetic & damage would have been worse to your rim. I bought some gorilla glue & glued the chunk back together. However, this still bothered me so I just decided to use the other side of the tire. I would look close at the damage. If you can see wires or notice a slow leak then just buy a new tire.
Old 11-09-15, 02:07 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I'd change that tire in a heartbeat.
Why take a chance?
Old 11-09-15, 04:14 PM
Jeremy1976
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Expecting them to replace it is foolish being that it is your mistake. If you had some type of warranty then possibly. But I agree with Machine13 above.
Old 11-09-15, 04:38 PM
PAPI007
Intermediate

Received 27 Likes on 12 Posts

Not that this has anything to do with your question, but if I did this to my car, I WOULD BE SICK!
Old 11-09-15, 05:43 PM
newToIs250
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
I'd change that tire in a heartbeat.
Why take a chance?

I agree here
Old 11-09-15, 05:43 PM
Passat774
Pit Crew

I have good news all Continental Tires come with a free road hazard coverage for the first year or 2/32nds of tread.

I would go to http://www.continentaltire.com/ and find a local dealer and more than likely have them replaced free of charge!

http://www.continentaltire.com/warranty
Old 11-09-15, 07:39 PM
cantinoz
Rookie

yes i am currently dealing with tirebuyer.com to have them replace the tires for free, but they ask for alot of proof to make sure it is deemed not fixable before they fix. Would it be wrong for me to say if they denied the replacement that i would like to prevent a blow out and if they didnt replace now, they would need to replace later when it bubbles and even worse blow out on the highway and i could die.
Old 11-09-15, 09:46 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 230 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by cantinoz
yes i am currently dealing with tirebuyer.com to have them replace the tires for free, but they ask for alot of proof to make sure it is deemed not fixable before they fix. Would it be wrong for me to say if they denied the replacement that i would like to prevent a blow out and if they didnt replace now, they would need to replace later when it bubbles and even worse blow out on the highway and i could die.
Maybe you should "accidentally" run over a nail near the sidewall of the tire. This would deem it unrepairable and they would have to fix it under road hazard.

Good luck on getting that rim fixed. The F-sport rims are difficult to get right with color match and finish.
Old 11-10-15, 09:22 AM
Passat774
Pit Crew

If Tirebuyer does not work it out for you, just locate a Conti dealer in your area. Or contact Conti directly, you should end up with new tires for free
Old 11-11-15, 08:26 AM
cantinoz
Rookie

good news! tire shop who is an authorized dealer for continental took a look at the pictures i sent and they forwarded to their contacts at continental and they will cover 100% of 1 tire and 25% of the other. I took a look at the front tire and its not damaged at all so I think ill just leave as it but the one with the rubber hanging off, they'll replace it for free.

Feels like a great day.