IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Dealership damaged car for second time during service

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-15, 05:30 PM
EdoApero
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've taken my previous car to have tire swaps at sketchy cheap tire shops that charge $10 per wheel and have always ended up with my wheels being flawless... that is unacceptable from lexus
Old 10-31-15, 08:24 AM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 270 Likes on 217 Posts

This dealer seemed to have lots of clueless workers. Did they hire high school kids?
Old 11-01-15, 01:24 AM
IvVaum
Driver School Candidate

I took my car in for the 5k service n they lost the grommet to the engine cover. They aired my tires to different pressures n after I told them abt the bad service they had the audacity to deny any wrong doing. I ended ripping the service guy a new one. They replaced the grommet n the tires were aired to the correct pressure. Lousy service at Lexus of Maplewood, MN. The 10k will be the last service they'll ever do for my car n I'll be checking everything closely, anything wrong or out of place n they'll never hear the end of it from me.
Old 11-01-15, 08:30 AM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts

I took my car to the dealer for the two free services, then took it to my guy for the 15K mile service. I know the dealers of all brands have found ways to pay techs less. Aside from oil changes, I don't trust them to do much. My buds that used to be highly-skilled Benz techs are off to greener pastures. They were great at their jobs, but when the money became less and the work became more, they both bounced.
Old 11-01-15, 11:49 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 230 Likes on 181 Posts

Took my GS350 F-sport in for 5K mile service, and they returned it with a scratched/curbed wheel. I didn't even notice it until I left the dealer. Luckily, my service advisor is awesome and he was very apologetic. He had the wheel refinished/repaired, but the work wasn't too good since it's difficult to match the F-sport gray. The color as a little off and it didn't have a smooth finish or feel. I brought it up to my advisor, he was very apologetic again and he just had it replaced. I believe service departments here in SoCal are more accommodating and provide better service because there is so much competition. If I were in your shoes, I would demand for them to replace the wheels. If they insist on refinishing/repairing them first, then have them promise (on paper) that if you aren't satisfied with the work, they will replace them. Inspect them visually and make sure you feel the wheels to make sure it's smooth.
Old 11-02-15, 06:13 AM
plastus
Rookie

Dropped off the car this morning to have it inspected by the service manager. I'll see what he has to say and what they propose as a resolution to the matter. I got an ES350 loaner this time, and I don't know what people do in these cars but they are absolutely filthy! I don't expect a perfect car, but on a beige interior car, the floor carpet mats look like someone threw up on them. Large scratches on exterior, center console looks like someone took sandpaper to it, etc.

The service advisor told me that their tire mounting machine uses plastic guide wheels and mechanism to pop the bead on the tire. If that's true, then some substantial grit/dirt must've been between the wheel and the machine that would cause such noticeable gouges/scratches. They told me they have pictures of the wheels before the techs started work on them, which is great because they should match the ones I took right before dropping off the car for service (time stamped, uploaded to the cloud, etc.) For some reason, I think they were hopping that would scare me off because I can't imagine the dealership taking hundreds of photos every day before starting work on a customer's car.

Will update the thread after I hear back from them. The dealership name will be revealed after this is resolved.
Old 11-03-15, 08:08 PM
bobbay
Driver School Candidate

After the first ordeal, why on earth would you take your new car back there?
Old 11-04-15, 02:41 PM
SC300Es
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

As far as balancing some tire shops won't do it unless you ask them and they would charge you extra. I don't think it is assumed they would be balancing your wheels on a tire change.

Ed
Old 11-05-15, 06:46 AM
plastus
Rookie

Well, I'm pretty pissed at this point. Dealership promised me a third party wheel repair company would get my wheels back to showroom condition. What resulted is a rattle can paint job. I've lodged a formal complain by calling Lexus Corporate but they don't do any sort of follow-up directly with the customer/car owner, so I don't think that will get me very far.

The dealership is 'Lexus of Englewood' in Englewood, NJ.

Awaiting to hear back from the service manager now as to next steps. I will not accept anything but new wheels and will pursue other action if they don't agree to provide me with a set of four new OEM wheels.

Pictures that show how matte/flat looking the paint is. They didn't even clean the wheels properly! There's absolute zero gloss/shine on the repainted surface and the paint blending is poor quality. Can clearly feel difference, and the worst of all is the repainted portion feels gritty to the touch.

The center/hub area is original paint, and then lip/portions of spokes were repainted. I have glossy wheels in the center with flat graphite paint around it. Absolutely ridiculous that this kind of treatment and work is being cleared by a Lexus dealership.

Last edited by plastus; 11-05-15 at 06:51 AM.
Old 11-05-15, 07:29 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 230 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by plastus
Well, I'm pretty pissed at this point. Dealership promised me a third party wheel repair company would get my wheels back to showroom condition. What resulted is a rattle can paint job. I've lodged a formal complain by calling Lexus Corporate but they don't do any sort of follow-up directly with the customer/car owner, so I don't think that will get me very far.

The dealership is 'Lexus of Englewood' in Englewood, NJ.

Awaiting to hear back from the service manager now as to next steps. I will not accept anything but new wheels and will pursue other action if they don't agree to provide me with a set of four new OEM wheels.

Pictures that show how matte/flat looking the paint is. They didn't even clean the wheels properly! There's absolute zero gloss/shine on the repainted surface and the paint blending is poor quality. Can clearly feel difference, and the worst of all is the repainted portion feels gritty to the touch.

The center/hub area is original paint, and then lip/portions of spokes were repainted. I have glossy wheels in the center with flat graphite paint around it. Absolutely ridiculous that this kind of treatment and work is being cleared by a Lexus dealership.
I totally agree that that repair work is unacceptable. I don't think many third party wheel repair companies know how to repair these wheels. I think most of them mostly repair normal, silver rims. I had the same issue when my dealer tried to repair, so I hope your dealer will be as accommodating and just replace them like they did for me. It kinda helps to have good relations with a service advisor; find a good one and stick with them.

Maybe tell the service manager that if this is what he calls "showroom condition," then have them swap it out for you with a new car on their lot
The following users liked this post:
Baby888 (04-27-20)
Old 11-05-15, 03:22 PM
lexi90
Lexus Champion

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

That sucks! I hope they can come up with a solution that works for you!
Old 11-05-15, 04:48 PM
ISTORO
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Question for OP, is this the original dealership you purchased your IS from? Your not alone with others having service complaints (usually NOT at Lexus) but at this point, and given the problem you had earlier with the poor rear spoiler installation, demand new replacement rims as the repair is not up to Lexus standards or YOUR satisfaction. Contact the owner/president via email and document it. You can also express and voice your experience(s) and dissatisfaction at (dealerrater.com) that I just visited and checked out this particular dealer, only 87% recommend this place (lowest rated Lexus dealer in the state). It's a shame this is putting a damper on your IS-F Sport ownership and enjoyment. Going forward, find a different dealership, there are plenty of good ones right here in NJ. Hope it gets resolved.

Last edited by ISTORO; 11-05-15 at 05:25 PM.
Old 11-05-15, 06:20 PM
plastus
Rookie

Originally Posted by ISTORO
Question for OP, is this the original dealership you purchased your IS from? Your not alone with others having service complaints (usually NOT at Lexus) but at this point, and given the problem you had earlier with the poor rear spoiler installation, demand new replacement rims as the repair is not up to Lexus standards or YOUR satisfaction. Contact the owner/president via email and document it. You can also express and voice your experience(s) and dissatisfaction at (dealerrater.com) that I just visited and checked out this particular dealer, only 87% recommend this place (lowest rated Lexus dealer in the state). It's a shame this is putting a damper on your IS-F Sport ownership and enjoyment. Going forward, find a different dealership, there are plenty of good ones right here in NJ. Hope it gets resolved.
Yup, purchased my car from there and had a fantastic experience which is why I took my car in for service/spoiler install there. I already reached out to Lexus Corporate but they only logged the complaint and the phone rep stated they may not necessarily follow-up with me or let me know what (if any) action was taken against the dealer. I'm definitely done with this dealership and looking for another one somewhere in the north NJ area that has a service department not full of careless service advisors and techs.
Old 11-06-15, 09:34 AM
JP30
Driver School Candidate

I would recommend Lexus of Rt 10. Had a great buying experience there, although I have yet to take the car in for service (5k due soon) I am confident they will be excellent
Old 11-15-15, 06:49 AM
plastus
Rookie

Wanted to update this thread after the matter was finally resolved.

Both my service advisor and the service manager were ignoring my calls/voicemails for nearly a week. I finally wrote an e-mail to the president and general manager of the dealership as a last effort before considering other possible action. I received a phone call the same day apologizing for the way this whole situation was handled. On Friday my car was picked up and re-delivered to my place of work with a new set of wheels, tires, and TPMS sensors. It was also detailed so it looked like it came out of the showroom floor. Very happy with the way it was handled by the dealership higher management.

Quick Reply: Dealership damaged car for second time during service