Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 vs Super Sport Vs Pilot Sport 3

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-15, 07:02 AM
myonoshane
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 vs Super Sport Vs Pilot Sport 3

Hi guys,

I am needing to change the tires on my car and would like your recommendations on what I should choose.
I don't track my car, just long trips every day (around 1 hour driving a day). Occasionally I would floor the car for some fun but most times it's just cruising on the roads for my daily commute.

What are your recommendations for which tyre I should choose out of these three:
Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 ($300) vs Super Sport ($360), Pilot Sport 3 ($160)
The SuperSports have a treadwear rating of 300 whereas the Sport PS2 have a rating of 220 and Pilot Sport 3 have a rating of 320.

The PS3 are around half the price of the other two tyres and will last longer but is there really a noticeable difference between the two in terms of acceleration times etc?

Thanks
Old 10-28-15, 07:18 AM
faisal11ir
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I've personally tried PS3 on the stock 18" rims for 8 months, I can tell you they're really good, grips well in our heat and even in rain, improved braking and the treadwear held well for the 8 months of daily commuting on highway.

Tried PSS many times on my 2IS... they're the best out there but after trying the PS3 for our style of driving/commuting PS3 is good enough believe me.

I still have the 18" rims with the PS3 tires stored cuz they're still good can run another 25-35k.
Old 10-28-15, 08:15 AM
myonoshane
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by faisal11ir
I've personally tried PS3 on the stock 18" rims for 8 months, I can tell you they're really good, grips well in our heat and even in rain, improved braking and the treadwear held well for the 8 months of daily commuting on highway.

Tried PSS many times on my 2IS... they're the best out there but after trying the PS3 for our style of driving/commuting PS3 is good enough believe me.

I still have the 18" rims with the PS3 tires stored cuz they're still good can run another 25-35k.
Thanks for your response.
Did you notice any significant difference in your acceleration times or was it mostly to do with braking and handling? Would i notice a difference in my current 0-60 times for example?

Thanks
Old 10-28-15, 08:27 AM
Darkside81
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can attest that the Pilot Super Sports are awesome but the wear down very fast, in my experience less than 10k miles has been normal. These are probably the best tries you can buy short of the CUP series but not something I would use on a daily driver unless you live in a dry area and don't mind spending the money every couple of months.

I would recommend for your commute to go with the Pilot Sport PS2 setup. I have used these on my daily driver and on two sets I got 30k miles out of them and when I changed them they still had a safe amount of tread remaining. The PS2's are great performers in both dry and wet conditions and the only tire I will use on my daily drivers. You will definitely feel the difference.
The following users liked this post:
GSpearlwht (06-19-19)
Old 10-28-15, 08:32 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Tirerack has PSS for $826 for a set. $360 per tire seems too much for PSS. I had PSS before and it's the best tire I've ever had. So damn good.
Old 10-28-15, 09:10 AM
faisal11ir
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by myonoshane
Thanks for your response.
Did you notice any significant difference in your acceleration times or was it mostly to do with braking and handling? Would i notice a difference in my current 0-60 times for example?

Thanks
Braking, handling and cornering.... all in all PS3 is so good over the stock Dunlop max tt that I had and not bad actually good just like the PSS had on my 2IS.
Old 10-28-15, 11:24 AM
AndrewP930
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should check out Discount Tire Direct's eBay store every other day or so. I got my set of PSS for $720 with the $100 off $400 of tires. I made it two separate transactions so ended up getting $200 off on the set.

I bought these back in September but it's not up anymore. They had another one but it ended yesterday. Probably the best deal out there.