IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models
View Poll Results: How Many Years Do You Think the Current 3rd Gen IS Will Last?
8 Total Years (2014-2021) -1st LCI MY2017, 2nd MY2019 (mirroring 2nd gen)
17.07%
7 Total Years (2014-2020) - LCI for MY2018
34.15%
6 Total Years (2014-2019) - LCI for MY2017
43.90%
Or Something Completely Different
4.88%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Is The 2017 Model Year An LCI (Refresh) Year?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-15, 08:13 AM
Xanadu350
Racer

Received 150 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by rob stolen
Yeah, it's all coming back to me now again. It's been some time. The 2.5 V6's designation is 4GR and 350 is 2GR. But I gotta disagree with you about the both engines being bulletproof. The carbon issue is real for IS250 and the the startup grind noise issue is real for 350's V6. I had to have my engine taken apart twice as a result (actually 3X when you include the valve recall issue). And the cam gears that replaced is only a temporary fix. It will happen again with time. Happened to me and many other forum members. I also remember way, way back how Lobuxracer (forum moderator) got rid of his 350 b/c he knew the fix Lexus had was not a permanent one.

And the startup grind noise begins to rear its ugly head after you reach higher mileage. I'm not certain if Lexus finally found a permanent fix for the 3rd gen IS (I would imagine more than likely at this point since it's been almost 10 years), but if not, it's something to be mindful of. The repair is in the thousands if you're out of warranty. And current 3IS owners won't begin seeing it until they hit higher miles.

But ultimately, both the IS250 and IS350 engines were NOT bulletproof historically. They've had their fair share of problems. Pretty serious problems actually. I would imagine they've been addressed them by now since Lexus has been and still using them in their cars for nearly a decade, LOL.

I found it:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...hreads-65.html

I haven't driven a 3rd gen IS50 yet, but I can tell you my car handles exceptionally well with DHP and VSS (an option that most 335's being sold on dealer lots do not have unless you special order). And nothing beats adding 60hp with just a BMS Stage 1 tune that only involved swapping two wire plugs and a total of 3 minutes. Late 12's in the 1/4 with just a tune alone.

But I do want to check out the 3rd gen IS350 and see what has changed from the 2nd gen. I know its straight-line performance will probably disappoint me, so I'll need to get a feel for the whole car.
Yeah your bringing back a lot of memories now, I remember that grinding noise on start up it happened to me about 1 yr after I took ownership. Just checked cause I knew I posted to that thread I'm on post #334 and I also remember getting a notice in the mail about the cam shaft as well. So Lexus must have fixed this issue?
Old 11-19-15, 08:53 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Xanadu350
Yeah your bringing back a lot of memories now, I remember that grinding noise on start up it happened to me about 1 yr after I took ownership. Just checked cause I knew I posted to that thread I'm on post #334 and I also remember getting a notice in the mail about the cam shaft as well. So Lexus must have fixed this issue?
Its way cheaper to fix something at design stage than warranty repairs. Lexus most likely fixed it but what they should have done is added a little more displacement or FI
Old 11-20-15, 06:09 AM
gregerst
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My comment on the forum activity also has nothing to do with age. Go check out the F80post (M3/M4) forums. That car sells for $70K+ AND was released as a 2015 model. It's only been out a year. That forum has TONS of pages and threads with around 15-20 VERY busy/active subsections. You don't see anything like that here on Clublexus. Again, this is for a car that sells for $70K. I'm sure there are very few 18-year olds active there. It has nothing do with age.

Simply put, if a car is selling well and has a lot of buzz, then logically the car forum it represents will have more participation. Sure those who post in car forums tend to be more enthusiasts in nature, but it's just sheer numbers and sales. More sales = more people participating.
BMW probably sells around 10k M3's a year. Hardly flying off the dealer lots. but good for such an expensive car. And with the new engine they're seeing an uptick in sales. As to be expected.
BMW has a cult like following and generates a lot buzz when they do anything. Especially with young want-to-have-it-but-cant-afford-it crowd. The car is featured in tons of magazines, articles and websites. It's a Halo car for their most popular seller. the 3 series sedan. It's got tons of marketing. Heck, people fly over to Germany from the US just to pick up their new M3 from the factory and drive it around the country. Your going to have a lot of people lusting over that.
You say the lexus IS is selling poorly based on forum activity? The numbers disagree. In the 2014 model year when the 3rd gen hit the dealers sales went up 46%. I still stand by my earlier comment that age has a lot to do with it. You don't see a lot of 41 year olds (average age of a brand new lexus IS buyer) modding their cars. And a good majority of those sales are going to the 200 / 250. People that age typically have other priorities in life. Kids, family, house, job. As the 3rd gen ages and is more attainable I bet there will be an uptick in activity on the forums.

Last edited by gregerst; 11-20-15 at 06:12 AM.
Old 11-20-15, 11:09 AM
rob stolen
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gregerst
BMW probably sells around 10k M3's a year. Hardly flying off the dealer lots. but good for such an expensive car. And with the new engine they're seeing an uptick in sales. As to be expected.
BMW has a cult like following and generates a lot buzz when they do anything. Especially with young want-to-have-it-but-cant-afford-it crowd. The car is featured in tons of magazines, articles and websites. It's a Halo car for their most popular seller. the 3 series sedan. It's got tons of marketing. Heck, people fly over to Germany from the US just to pick up their new M3 from the factory and drive it around the country. Your going to have a lot of people lusting over that.
You say the lexus IS is selling poorly based on forum activity? The numbers disagree. In the 2014 model year when the 3rd gen hit the dealers sales went up 46%. I still stand by my earlier comment that age has a lot to do with it. You don't see a lot of 41 year olds (average age of a brand new lexus IS buyer) modding their cars. And a good majority of those sales are going to the 200 / 250. People that age typically have other priorities in life. Kids, family, house, job. As the 3rd gen ages and is more attainable I bet there will be an uptick in activity on the forums.
Have you even read the contents of this thread? Please do so before posting.

For this year ending in October, the 3IS has sold 38,339 total cars. Now if you calculate a strong performance for November/December (being very, very optimistic) and Lexus sells 10,000 for the last 2 months of the year (10K was sold in Nov/Dec 2014), Lexus will have sold 48,339 TOTAL IS's for 2015, that total number would be DOWN from the 51,358 cars they sold in 2014. That's a drop of 3,000 cars from the first to second year.

Now if you look In 2006, the 2IS sold 54,267 total cars. That number INCREASED to 54,933 in 2007. Not by much, but an increase nonetheless. So to add insult to injury, Lexus has sold 3,000 less 3IS cars in its first year than the 2IS did in 2006 AND sold 3,000 less in its second year compared to the previous gen. And number will be plunging in subsequent years.

You have NO IDEA what you're talking about. You're basing that 46% increase from the previous year (2013). If you know anything about cars, sales are ALWAYS at its worst in the last few years when a vehicle is at the end-of-life cycle with a newly redesigned vehicle on the horizon. You have to look at year-to-date stats from a previous generation in order to make a valid comparison of sale numbers/increases. Come on man, SERIOUSLY?

Also, fittingly, the 3IS forum has WAY less activity 2 years in than during the same time period when the 2IS was 2 years old. It's striking really. You must not have been around during that time. Sure people can say it's the economy, competition, blah, blah, blah... But if you keep up with the car industry, vehicle sales are at an all-time high this year with record sales for all the manufacturer car brands.

And the fact the current car's raw performance is significantly worse than its predecessor coupled with the mixed reviews it is getting for its polarizing styling, I believe it's definitely affecting the 3IS sales numbers. Sure there are other factors in play here, but I believe those 2 hurt it the most.

Just look at the RCF. A car that has been blasted/berated/ridiculed for being overweight (and consequently performs worse than its rivals) coupled with its hate it/love it styling. If you look at the sales landscape, there are less than 10 2015 model M3's left in stock nationwide, around 70 2015 M4's, and OVER 600 2015 Lexus RCF's! Are you freaking kidding me? No wonder I've been reading about Lexus dealers giving $10K-$13K discounts for the RCF in its FIRST model year. And do you know what means? Less forum activity as a result.

I'm done dude.
Old 11-20-15, 11:30 AM
rob stolen
Driver

Originally Posted by Xanadu350
Yes sir! I read your post. That's funny. Good times, right? You received a letter? That's odd. I never did. Mine actually happened twice. About a year and a half apart from the first repair. Thank God I had a warranty so Lexus covered it. It was crazy too b/c I only had a few months warranty left. If I didn't, it would have cost me an arm and a leg to fix.

But the most annoying thing about that experience was the fact that the startup grind noise didn't happen on every start. I had to go to the dealer multiple times and they said they couldn't replicate it and sent me home. It was super frustrating. So what I had to do was use my phone to record the grinding noise each time I started my car and I finally was able to record a perfect example of that god-awful screeching noise that made it clearly evident. I had to then place my phone's video recorder to my car's current mileage as proof that it happened in the present. It was a pain, but the dealer finally agreed to fix it again after reviewing the video.

This was on top of the valve spring recall, which meant my car's engine was torn apart a total of 3 times Can you believe that? However, I should note that Lexus did send me a $500 gift card for the valve spring issue. I remember reading people either received the gift card or an extension of their powertrain warranty. I end up spending it at Sewell.com and got some F-Sport parts, LOL.

I'm not sure if Lexus has resolved the issue on the 3IS, but I've done multiple searches and haven't found a thread concerning the issue. That's a good sign. But it's still very early. Most people that have the startup grind noise have it happen to them when their car gets up in miles. Now when I look back, although it was a frustrating time, I still have fond memories about the car and also those times.
Old 11-20-15, 01:28 PM
LH1
Instructor

Received 200 Likes on 108 Posts

Why couldn't Lexus have simply combined the acceleration of the 2IS 350 with the handling of the 3IS 350?

As far as the activity level of the 3IS 350 forum goes, its really slow. I remember when I first joined CL, the 2IS forums were busy.

I definitely think the polarizing looks have turned some people away. I wish Lexus would have split the giant spindle into an upper and lower grille. A body colored bar running across the middle would greatly help the front end. They should have integrated the lower check mark LED into the main headlight too.
Old 11-20-15, 02:05 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LH1
Why couldn't Lexus have simply combined the acceleration of the 2IS 350 with the handling of the 3IS 350?

As far as the activity level of the 3IS 350 forum goes, its really slow. I remember when I first joined CL, the 2IS forums were busy.

I definitely think the polarizing looks have turned some people away. I wish Lexus would have split the giant spindle into an upper and lower grille. A body colored bar running across the middle would greatly help the front end. They should have integrated the lower check mark LED into the main headlight too.
I don't think the 2IS acceleration would be enough. It's actually not THAT much faster than the 3IS. It should be mid 4s to be truly competitive in this segment to 60. I'm hoping the mid year refresh adds about 50 more hp.
Old 11-20-15, 02:37 PM
LH1
Instructor

Received 200 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
I don't think the 2IS acceleration would be enough. It's actually not THAT much faster than the 3IS. It should be mid 4s to be truly competitive in this segment to 60. I'm hoping the mid year refresh adds about 50 more hp.
Unfortunately 5 hp is more like it. The refreshed 311 hp/ 280 tq V6 for the 2016 GS will almost certainly be the update for the 2017 IS 350.
Old 11-20-15, 02:43 PM
rob stolen
Driver

Originally Posted by LH1

Yes. Exactly. I agree 100% with the contents of this post.

Originally Posted by EZZ
It's anywhere from a .3 to .5 seconds difference in the quarter depending upon which publication you go by. Enough for a couple of car lengths in a race. But yes, the current car definitely needs either forced induction or a significant power boost to compete in raw performance. Unfortunately, it appears that won't happen until a brand new model is released in 5-7 years. The recently unveiled GS350 added a measly 5hp to the same 3.5 V6. Unless news of a brand new engine comes out in the next few years, I'm betting more than likely that's what's going to take place for the LCI IS350 next year.

But on the 3IS vs 2IS numbers front, I do think what's significantly hurting sales is the fact that the current car is slower than the car it replaced, which doesn't happen often nowadays. I'm sure people were turned off by that. I know I was.
Old 11-20-15, 06:12 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Yes. Exactly. I agree 100% with the contents of this post.

It's anywhere from a .3 to .5 seconds difference in the quarter depending upon which publication you go by. Enough for a couple of car lengths in a race. But yes, the current car definitely needs either forced induction or a significant power boost to compete in raw performance. Unfortunately, it appears that won't happen until a brand new model is released in 5-7 years. The recently unveiled GS350 added a measly 5hp to the same 3.5 V6. Unless news of a brand new engine comes out in the next few years, I'm betting more than likely that's what's going to take place for the LCI IS350 next year.

But on the 3IS vs 2IS numbers front, I do think what's significantly hurting sales is the fact that the current car is slower than the car it replaced, which doesn't happen often nowadays. I'm sure people were turned off by that. I know I was.
From a dig, the 2IS is faster but the 3IS seems faster and more responsive at both highway speeds and curves. The 3IS seems better geared for freeway speeds and the downshift is great with the 8speed.

I think the 350 is fine as the price is way below a 335/340. However, Lexus should have made a higher trim with an engine output of 350+ hp to better compete with the 335/340 and S4. I would have paid an extra $5k for the extra horsies with Lexus reliability
Old 11-21-15, 06:55 AM
gregerst
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For this year ending in October, the 3IS has sold 38,339 total cars. Now if you calculate a strong performance for November/December (being very, very optimistic) and Lexus sells 10,000 for the last 2 months of the year (10K was sold in Nov/Dec 2014), Lexus will have sold 48,339 TOTAL IS's for 2015, that total number would be DOWN from the 51,358 cars they sold in 2014. That's a drop of 3,000 cars from the first to second year.

Now if you look In 2006, the 2IS sold 54,267 total cars. That number INCREASED to 54,933 in 2007. Not by much, but an increase nonetheless. So to add insult to injury, Lexus has sold 3,000 less 3IS cars in its first year than the 2IS did in 2006 AND sold 3,000 less in its second year compared to the previous gen. And number will be plunging in subsequent years.

You have NO IDEA what you're talking about. You're basing that 46% increase from the previous year (2013). If you know anything about cars, sales are ALWAYS at its worst in the last few years when a vehicle is at the end-of-life cycle with a newly redesigned vehicle on the horizon. You have to look at year-to-date stats from a previous generation in order to make a valid comparison of sale numbers/increases. Come on man, SERIOUSLY?

Also, fittingly, the 3IS forum has WAY less activity 2 years in than during the same time period when the 2IS was 2 years old. It's striking really. You must not have been around during that time. Sure people can say it's the economy, competition, blah, blah, blah... But if you keep up with the car industry, vehicle sales are at an all-time high this year with record sales for all the manufacturer car brands.

And the fact the current car's raw performance is significantly worse than its predecessor coupled with the mixed reviews it is getting for its polarizing styling, I believe it's definitely affecting the 3IS sales numbers. Sure there are other factors in play here, but I believe those 2 hurt it the most.

Just look at the RCF. A car that has been blasted/berated/ridiculed for being overweight (and consequently performs worse than its rivals) coupled with its hate it/love it styling. If you look at the sales landscape, there are less than 10 2015 model M3's left in stock nationwide, around 70 2015 M4's, and OVER 600 2015 Lexus RCF's! Are you freaking kidding me? No wonder I've been reading about Lexus dealers giving $10K-$13K discounts for the RCF in its FIRST model year. And do you know what means? Less forum activity as a result.

I'm done dude.
First, I gotta ask do you have anger issues much? Calm down. It's just a friendly debate about car sales. I'm certainly not going to get worked up because you disagree with me. Neither one of us have any real solid information, we don't have the raw data like lexus does. We are making assumptions and guesses but basing whether a car is successful or not on forum activity is grasping. I could counter everything you just posted but I have a feeling you wouldn't even consider it. You've already decided that Lexus is a failed company and the 3G is a disaster in the making. So I'll just leave you to soil in your negativity.
Old 11-23-15, 09:54 AM
salvadorik
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by firstblud
To the earlier point, I do think the 2nd gen was indeed more successful (just my gut) due to its less polarizing appearance and mass appeal in terms of looks. I still see a ton of them around.
Of course you are gonna see more 2IS. They were in the market since 2006. 3IS came out in 2013 as 2014 MY.

I still think that for driving enthusiasts 3IS offers more than gen 2 IS. The problem with current sale numbers (assuming you are right - I did not verify that), I think it is mainly due to the fact that competition has gotten even better than before. I absolutely don't think it is because 3IS became a little slower on the straight line than its predecessor. Not a lot of buyer would care about 0.5sec slower in quarter mile run. But for those who do care just take both cars on a track with a lot of technical turns and I am sure 3IS F Sport will prevail over 2IS F Sport due to its superior chassis and suspension

Last edited by salvadorik; 11-23-15 at 10:03 AM.
Old 11-23-15, 03:39 PM
nocxx2
Driver School Candidate

I'm done dude.
You're absolutely right.
3IS has failed, RCF has failed.
Worst possible cars, worst sales, EVER!
Log off club lexus now.
Old 11-23-15, 03:49 PM
nocxx2
Driver School Candidate

In the context of the recent discussion about forum activity and poor sales, I'm a first time Lexus owner. I previously owned a 2015 Corolla, which I traded in for 2015 IS 350 F sport (3). I love every single thing about this car. And it's not because I upgraded from a Corolla. Previous to that, my first car was a brand new 2012 Dodge Journey R/T with a turbo charged 3.6.
Fact is, I am not one of the guys who buys a Lexus (250/200) because it's the cheapest IS I can get, and then pinch pennies at the gas station and sacrifice other things that I could enjoy in life for shiny rims and obnoxiously loud exhausts, whatever floats their boat and all that jazz.
I frequent the forums on a daily basis, but rarely do I ever post, because I love everything about my car, as it is. I don't plan on doing any "upgrades". Just as I assume the majority of owners aren't. The forum, as I have experienced runs mainly on the activity fuelled by the owners who are either buying these cars used or buy the lower end models, so they can discuss builds and performance upgrades.

Let's face it, the 2IS is and was more active because a lot of owners owned them new and bought used ones and upgraded them and so on and so forth. 3IS is only 2 years old, now going on 3. Unlike the BMW forums, that are full of 10/15 year old car owners cross posting in newer model forums because they want them and discuss them to death. Such is not the case with any model of the Lexus. The satisfaction among Lexus owners exceeds anything BMW could ever match, down to Lexus' reliability and low maintenance issues.
For *****s sake, the most predominant issue 3IS owners face (as per this forum) is wind noise and mysterious rattling from the door panels/centre console (which is mostly because of the seals coming loose after door panels are taken apart for tinting). On the other hand, BMW forums are rife with every possible mechanical/electrical problem and issue a car could ever face.
Old 11-23-15, 04:21 PM
salvadorik
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by nocxx2
In the context of the recent discussion about forum activity and poor sales, I'm a first time Lexus owner. I previously owned a 2015 Corolla, which I traded in for 2015 IS 350 F sport (3). I love every single thing about this car. And it's not because I upgraded from a Corolla. Previous to that, my first car was a brand new 2012 Dodge Journey R/T with a turbo charged 3.6.
Fact is, I am not one of the guys who buys a Lexus (250/200) because it's the cheapest IS I can get, and then pinch pennies at the gas station and sacrifice other things that I could enjoy in life for shiny rims and obnoxiously loud exhausts, whatever floats their boat and all that jazz.
I frequent the forums on a daily basis, but rarely do I ever post, because I love everything about my car, as it is. I don't plan on doing any "upgrades". Just as I assume the majority of owners aren't. The forum, as I have experienced runs mainly on the activity fuelled by the owners who are either buying these cars used or buy the lower end models, so they can discuss builds and performance upgrades.

Let's face it, the 2IS is and was more active because a lot of owners owned them new and bought used ones and upgraded them and so on and so forth. 3IS is only 2 years old, now going on 3. Unlike the BMW forums, that are full of 10/15 year old car owners cross posting in newer model forums because they want them and discuss them to death. Such is not the case with any model of the Lexus. The satisfaction among Lexus owners exceeds anything BMW could ever match, down to Lexus' reliability and low maintenance issues.
For *****s sake, the most predominant issue 3IS owners face (as per this forum) is wind noise and mysterious rattling from the door panels/centre console (which is mostly because of the seals coming loose after door panels are taken apart for tinting). On the other hand, BMW forums are rife with every possible mechanical/electrical problem and issue a car could ever face.
I agree with this post for the most part. Comparing bmw and lexus forums (bimmerfest former and clublexus is being latter) it is extremely important to note that bmw tends to have a very enthusiastic customer base that live, breathe, eat, drink etc only with the stuff related to this Bavarian brand. They are a lot more emotionally attached to their cars than the customers of any other mainstream luxury auto brand. As a result they tend to be significantly more active on the forums. Just hypothetically the same bmw forum member would post 5x or 10x more than their Lexus or Audi counterpart would do. Of course that will increase the activity rate. Not saying bmw sells less cars than lexus or audi, it is more likely that bmw tops all of them but I want to stress the primary reason of high activity rate on bimmerfest is because of bmw's very loyal and enthusiastic customer base. I think the majority of Lexus customers generally don't surf the forums.

Last edited by salvadorik; 11-23-15 at 04:33 PM.

Quick Reply: Is The 2017 Model Year An LCI (Refresh) Year?