IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models
View Poll Results: How Many Years Do You Think the Current 3rd Gen IS Will Last?
8 Total Years (2014-2021) -1st LCI MY2017, 2nd MY2019 (mirroring 2nd gen)
17.07%
7 Total Years (2014-2020) - LCI for MY2018
34.15%
6 Total Years (2014-2019) - LCI for MY2017
43.90%
Or Something Completely Different
4.88%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Is The 2017 Model Year An LCI (Refresh) Year?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-15, 07:58 AM
rob stolen
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is The 2017 Model Year An LCI (Refresh) Year?

I'm interested in the 3rd gen IS350 (coming back to Lexus, currently have an F30 335i) and was curious about the LCI. I previously owned a 2nd gen IS350 (06 model) and I remember from those days that the refresh for the 2nd gen was in 2009 and then another in 2011, which meant that the 2nd gen was around for 8 total model years (2006-13).

However, I do recall reading somewhere way back that the 2nd gen IS held on for so long b/c there was a delay in the next gen model and since it was still selling, Lexus extended its life cycle.

So my question is, should we expect a true refresh for the 3rd gen IS for the 2017 MY (minor restyled bumpers, interiors, etc)? ...to follow the 2nd gen's schedule?

I have a strong feeling that the current IS will NOT go beyond 7 years. BMW's F30 3-Series appears to be for 7 years (12-18, LCI in 16), W204 Benz 7 years (08-14, LCI in 12), etc.. Although the B8 Audi is 8 years (09-16). Infiniti's G to Q50 is somewhat of an outlier with their entire vehicle line's transitioning process to the "Q" designation.

I have a feeling that the current gen IS is does NOT have the selling/staying power of the 2nd gen and feel that Lexus will run this gen 7 years, which means the LCI would be in the 2018 MY (14,15,16,17.... 18 LCI, 19, 20). And since they've mad some pretty significant changes/updates in 2016 releasing 2 new models (IS200t & IS300 AWD), maybe Lexus will let it ride for the 2017 MY. Or maybe not LOL, ..and go another 8 total years, which means the LCI would be in 2017.

I know I'm overthinking this, but what do you think?

Last edited by rob stolen; 10-24-15 at 10:14 AM.
Old 10-24-15, 09:11 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by rob stolen
I'm interested in the 3rd gen IS350 (coming back to Lexus, currently have an F30 335i) and was curious about the LCI. I previously owned a 2nd gen IS350 (06 model) and I remember from those days that the refresh for the 2nd gen was in 2009 and then another in 2011, which meant that the 2nd gen was around for 8 total model years (2006-13).

However, I do recall reading somewhere way back that the 2nd gen IS held on for so long b/c it was selling so well, Lexus extended its life cycle.

So my question is, should we expect a true refresh for the 3rd gen IS for the 2017 MY (minor restyled bumpers, interiors, etc)? ...to follow the 2nd gen's schedule?

I have a strong feeling that the current IS will NOT go beyond 7 years. BMW's 3-Series appears to be for 7 years (12-18, LCI in 16), W204 Benz 7 years (08-14, LCI in 12), etc.. Although the B8 Audi is 8 years (09-16). Infiniti's G to Q50 is somewhat of an outlier with their entire vehicle line's transitioning process to the "Q" designation.

I have a feeling that the current gen IS is does NOT have the selling/staying power of the 2nd gen and feel that Lexus will run this gen 7 years, which means the LCI would be in the 2018 MY (14,15,16,17.... 18 LCI, 19, 20). And since they've mad some pretty significant changes/updates in 2016 releasing 2 new models (IS200t & IS300 AWD), maybe Lexus will let it ride for the 2017 MY. Or maybe not LOL, ..and go another 8 total years, which means the LCI would be in 2017.

I know I'm overthinking this, but what do you think?
The 2nd gen IS wasn't exactly a critical success for Lexus. I believe the 3rd gen has been way more successful from both a critics perspective and sales number.
Old 10-24-15, 09:39 AM
rob stolen
Driver

Originally Posted by EZZ
The 2nd gen IS wasn't exactly a critical success for Lexus. I believe the 3rd gen has been way more successful from both a critics perspective and sales number.
I'm not sure what you're basing that on cuz the sales figures tell otherwise.

Sales for the first model years in the US. ~3000 LESS than the 2nd gen.. Pretty significant if you ask me. The current gen IS is off to a WORSE start than the previous gen. And I feel it's only going to get worse as the years progress. There's just too much competition.

2006 IS250/350 Sales US - 54,267
2014 IS250/350 Sales US - 51,358

Now don't get wrong. My current F30 335i drives miles ahead than my 06 IS350 ever did. My 350 had some of the worst mushy/lifeless steering I have ever experienced for a so-called sports sedan. And contrary to the reputation of the Lexus brand, it wasn't the most reliable vehicle as well. But I have to admit I really enjoyed the car overall as a whole for all its shortcomings.

J.D. Power and Associates named the second-generation IS 250/IS 350 sedans the best vehicles in the entry luxury class in its 2006 Initial Quality Survey.[134]
Ward's Auto bestowed the IS 350 V6 engine with one of its 10 Best Engines awards in 2006.[136] The IS 350 V6 engine was also named to the Ward's 10 Best Engines list in 2007, 2008, and 2009.
The 2007 Lexus IS was the winner of the Intellichoice/AutoPacific Motorist Choice Award for Aspirational Luxury Cars, referring to the vehicle owners most desired in the luxury segment.[137]
The Lexus IS was named the winner of the 2007 IF product design award from the International Forum Design group in Hannover, Germany.[138]
The 2007 Lexus IS was the winner of the Golden Steering Wheel Award in the Luxury category, according to German newspaper Bild am Sonntag. This award, selected by a jury panel of 25 automotive experts, was presented to Lexus in a Berlin ceremony.
British automotive magazine Top Gear named the second-generation Lexus IS as the Executive Car of the Year in 2006.
The Canadian Car of the Year Awards, selected by the Automobile Journalists Association of Canada, gave the IS 350 its Best New Technology award in 2006.[139]
The Lexus IS was a finalist for Wheels magazine's Car of the Year (COTY) awards and also the World Car of the Year (WCOTY) award in 2006.[140]
The IS 250 was winner in 2006 and 2007 of Best Prestige Car in the Australia's Best Cars awards – awarded by the conglomeration of all of Australia's respective State Automotive Associations.
The Lexus IS came first in the 'J.D.Power' car satisfaction survey in 2011 and joint second in 2010.[142]
Old 10-24-15, 09:58 AM
Stevent
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just my opinion....not basing it on any facts but maybe the slow start was due people needing to grow to like the giant grill Lexus came out with. I didn't like it at first when I saw the release photos but I grew to love it.
Old 10-24-15, 11:00 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

You are right. The 2IS sold better in its first year. Surprising as it was universally lauded as segment lagging in the comparisons. It was mushy but quick. I thought the G37 was a better vehicle as it was just as quick with better handling.
Old 10-24-15, 01:37 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 288 Likes on 209 Posts

Based on recent mid-cycle Lexus refreshes, it will happen on the 4th year of the car's lifecycle, so MY 2017. As for the duration of the gen, tough one since Lexus can go as short 6 years and as long as 8 years as per the 2IS. My gut tells me 7 years.
Old 10-24-15, 03:24 PM
rob stolen
Driver

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Based on recent mid-cycle Lexus refreshes, it will happen on the 4th year of the car's lifecycle, so MY 2017. As for the duration of the gen, tough one since Lexus can go as short 6 years and as long as 8 years as per the 2IS. My gut tells me 7 years.
If it is indeed 7 years, more often than not the refresh year is on the 5th model year (2018) since the refreshed model is typically on the back-end (2018, 19, 20), just like on the BMW 3-Series, Benz C-Class, etc.. I don't think I've ever seen a vehicle with a 7-year cycle that left the back 4 years as the refreshed model. It's usually 4 on the front and 3 in the back. That would be a first if that were the case.

If Lexus does refresh the IS in 2017, then it probably will have a 6 or 8 year model cycle. I can't see that happening with a 7-year cycle unless they do something unconventional and make changes/alterations somewhat sporadically. Cars like the Nissan GTR have made major changes almost every model year (while skipping a year here and there), but that's a GTR and this is a mass-produced Lexus.

Last edited by rob stolen; 10-24-15 at 03:28 PM.
Old 10-25-15, 04:29 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 288 Likes on 209 Posts

If it is indeed 7 years, more often than not the refresh year is on the 5th model year (2018) since the refreshed model is typically on the back-end (2018, 19, 20), just like on the BMW 3-Series, Benz C-Class, etc.. I don't think I've ever seen a vehicle with a 7-year cycle that left the back 4 years as the refreshed model. It's usually 4 on the front and 3 in the back. That would be a first if that were the case.

If Lexus does refresh the IS in 2017, then it probably will have a 6 or 8 year model cycle. I can't see that happening with a 7-year cycle unless they do something unconventional and make changes/alterations somewhat sporadically. Cars like the Nissan GTR have made major changes almost every model year (while skipping a year here and there), but that's a GTR and this is a mass-produced Lexus.
Fair points and possible... though in addition to your points, I'm also seeing it from a holistic Lexus (and Toyota) portfolio point-of-view.

Fwd Lexus vehicles that do share a platform with their popular Toyota cousins are clearly on a 6-year gen cycle as we've seen over the last 10+ years (i.e. ES, RX, CT expected as MY'17...).

Different story with the more unique RWD or SUV platforms. Here, Lexus has shown clear anomalies in their generation lengths and post-mid-cycle refresh lifespans. Why because they can "afford" to since these platforms are not tied to TMC-critical cars like the Camry, Rav4, Prius, and Highlander. We see these anomalies with the current MY '13 LS' current 4-year (at least) refresh, with the new gen (hopefully) slated for 'MY 17. The LX has had two refreshes one for MY '13 and '16.

Finally, as the 3IS is based on the 4GS platform and since the GS for MY '16 has had its mid-cycle refresh after only three years, we can with great certainty expect the IS to be refreshed for MY '17. But a 6-year gen lifespan for a Lexus RWD platform would be a recent first for Lexus. Factoring in history of the prior gen's lifespan of a longish 8 years, countering this with stiffer competition than ever but getting the most ROI in its current invested platform, I believe the sweetspot is a 7 year current-gen lifespan. The thing that can heavily influence this time frame is the completion of the next gen of V6 (and Turbo iterations) and whether to introduce them with the next gen GS or IS much like they did with the 2L Turbo with the NX or the 2GR-FSE and 4GR-FSE engines with the 2IS. We'll need to keep a close eye on this as I feel this will be a big factor...

Last edited by corradoMR2; 10-25-15 at 04:51 AM.
Old 10-25-15, 06:54 AM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

I'm not sure what you're basing that on cuz the sales figures tell otherwise.

Sales for the first model years in the US. ~3000 LESS than the 2nd gen.. Pretty significant if you ask me. The current gen IS is off to a WORSE start than the previous gen. And I feel it's only going to get worse as the years progress. There's just too much competition.

2006 IS250/350 Sales US - 54,267
2014 IS250/350 Sales US - 51,358

Now don't get wrong. My current F30 335i drives miles ahead than my 06 IS350 ever did. My 350 had some of the worst mushy/lifeless steering I have ever experienced for a so-called sports sedan. And contrary to the reputation of the Lexus brand, it wasn't the most reliable vehicle as well. But I have to admit I really enjoyed the car overall as a whole for all its shortcomings.

J.D. Power and Associates named the second-generation IS 250/IS 350 sedans the best vehicles in the entry luxury class in its 2006 Initial Quality Survey.[134]
Ward's Auto bestowed the IS 350 V6 engine with one of its 10 Best Engines awards in 2006.[136] The IS 350 V6 engine was also named to the Ward's 10 Best Engines list in 2007, 2008, and 2009.
The 2007 Lexus IS was the winner of the Intellichoice/AutoPacific Motorist Choice Award for Aspirational Luxury Cars, referring to the vehicle owners most desired in the luxury segment.[137]
The Lexus IS was named the winner of the 2007 IF product design award from the International Forum Design group in Hannover, Germany.[138]
The 2007 Lexus IS was the winner of the Golden Steering Wheel Award in the Luxury category, according to German newspaper Bild am Sonntag. This award, selected by a jury panel of 25 automotive experts, was presented to Lexus in a Berlin ceremony.
British automotive magazine Top Gear named the second-generation Lexus IS as the Executive Car of the Year in 2006.
The Canadian Car of the Year Awards, selected by the Automobile Journalists Association of Canada, gave the IS 350 its Best New Technology award in 2006.[139]
The Lexus IS was a finalist for Wheels magazine's Car of the Year (COTY) awards and also the World Car of the Year (WCOTY) award in 2006.[140]
The IS 250 was winner in 2006 and 2007 of Best Prestige Car in the Australia's Best Cars awards – awarded by the conglomeration of all of Australia's respective State Automotive Associations.
The Lexus IS came first in the 'J.D.Power' car satisfaction survey in 2011 and joint second in 2010.[142]
We get it. We should all be driving BMW 3 Series instead. I tend to prefer cars that don't have electrical problems and don't leak oil.
Old 10-25-15, 04:56 PM
sirwawa
Rookie

the 350 is going to get the same power boost as the recent GS, right?!
Old 10-29-15, 01:03 PM
rob stolen
Driver

Originally Posted by link13
We get it. We should all be driving BMW 3 Series instead. I tend to prefer cars that don't have electrical problems and don't leak oil.
Say dude, seriously? Is that what you got from my post?
Old 10-29-15, 01:10 PM
rob stolen
Driver

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Fair points and possible... though in addition to your points, I'm also seeing it from a holistic Lexus (and Toyota) portfolio point-of-view.

Fwd Lexus vehicles that do share a platform with their popular Toyota cousins are clearly on a 6-year gen cycle as we've seen over the last 10+ years (i.e. ES, RX, CT expected as MY'17...).

Different story with the more unique RWD or SUV platforms. Here, Lexus has shown clear anomalies in their generation lengths and post-mid-cycle refresh lifespans. Why because they can "afford" to since these platforms are not tied to TMC-critical cars like the Camry, Rav4, Prius, and Highlander. We see these anomalies with the current MY '13 LS' current 4-year (at least) refresh, with the new gen (hopefully) slated for 'MY 17. The LX has had two refreshes one for MY '13 and '16.

Finally, as the 3IS is based on the 4GS platform and since the GS for MY '16 has had its mid-cycle refresh after only three years, we can with great certainty expect the IS to be refreshed for MY '17. But a 6-year gen lifespan for a Lexus RWD platform would be a recent first for Lexus. Factoring in history of the prior gen's lifespan of a longish 8 years, countering this with stiffer competition than ever but getting the most ROI in its current invested platform, I believe the sweetspot is a 7 year current-gen lifespan. The thing that can heavily influence this time frame is the completion of the next gen of V6 (and Turbo iterations) and whether to introduce them with the next gen GS or IS much like they did with the 2L Turbo with the NX or the 2GR-FSE and 4GR-FSE engines with the 2IS. We'll need to keep a close eye on this as I feel this will be a big factor...
I see where you're coming from and and it makes logical sense looking at the brand as a whole. Has there been any word or even a blip about a new V6 or turbo engine Lexus has been working on that you were referencing? Do you have a link?

Last edited by rob stolen; 10-29-15 at 03:03 PM.
Old 10-29-15, 02:49 PM
gregerst
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Cars are always changing and evolving. If you like the current IS don't wait.. jump in and buy one. Cars are like smartphone. There's always something newer, better, faster coming down the pipeline. If you sit around waiting for the next best thing you'll never enjoy whats available now. It would be somewhat foolish for a car maker to announce changes too far in advanced as it could hurt current sales. Having said that some changes I could see happening mid cycle could be revised interior with larger Nav screen. If they do anything to the front end it would be changes to the headlights, maybe square-ish LED's. But I don't think they'll change it much. The F-sport front end looks sick already. The spindle grill will stay since it's standard across all lexus and a way to easily identify the corporate brand. To me it's best to get in early on a new model then it looks fresher longer. The 3rd gen instantly made the 2nd gen look dated.
Honestly I don't care if they come out with a new twin turbo v6. The current engine is silky smooth, tried and true reliability with good power and decent gas mileage. If a new engine has more power. say close to 400 it will certainly drive up the price by 10K or so. If lexus don't want to increase the price the engine will stay close to the 330hp power range. A small HP bump over the current offering.
Old 11-15-15, 08:10 PM
Xanadu350
Racer

Received 137 Likes on 100 Posts

Do you think it's possible Lexus could issue the LCI (Refresh) in April 2016. Didn't Lexus do something like this or am I thinking BMW did it? I could have sworn Lexus did something like that on the prior 2 gen IS. Instead of waiting till the fall they did the refresh or some changes early in Spring extending the model yr longer than a year.

In think I'm going to hold out for the next refresh in hopes they widen the nav screen on the sides (the space is there) also clean up some of the wasted space on the console by re positioning the suspension **** and nav controller which will allow for better placement of the cup holders.

I'm just looking for some minor interior changes. However if they move the 350 to a turbo only I may think twice and pick up a used 2016. I don't want to be the ginea pig testing a Lexus turbo and don't want any fuel pump issues like BMW had w/ the 335 when the V6 350 has been a proven reliable engine since the 2nd gen IS.
Old 11-15-15, 10:00 PM
firstblud
Driver School Candidate

To the earlier point, I do think the 2nd gen was indeed more successful (just my gut) due to its less polarizing appearance and mass appeal in terms of looks. I still see a ton of them around.

Quick Reply: Is The 2017 Model Year An LCI (Refresh) Year?