IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Will going down on rsr's void warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-15, 12:26 AM
jeeper2269
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Will going down on rsr's void warranty?

Just considering the drop now, since it's only an inch or so. Will it affect the warranty?
Old 07-27-15, 05:24 AM
Baopee
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From my experience, some dealerships will not honor the warranty if the broken part(s) "might" cause by the aftermarket part that is installed. some will void the warranty completely. I would suggest you to talk to your SA, or you can buy Lexus lower springs.
Old 07-27-15, 06:27 AM
Sphinx007
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

if there is a problem you can always put your stock springs back in and bring it to the dealership for warranty
Old 07-27-15, 07:22 AM
ddvette9
Pole Position

Let me shed some advice from personal experience. With things like suspension, intake (MAF issues), and headers/midpipes (Emission ECU Issues), I always go to the dealer to have them install it. You pay a little more money than going to a local shop, but if you request a master tech they should do a great job and the dealership will have a tough time denying a claim if the installed the part. I paid 500 (including two alignments) for install of springs at dealership. They gave me a loaner and the job was done when I got off work. I know they will back their install and I have some corporate help should they turn their back on me. Going to a mom and pop shop for a major change like suspension may be cheaper, but it may cost you more in the long run.

Quick story, someone I know took their BMW to a local shop to install Dinan springs and the shop installed the springs upside down causing damage to various other components. The dealership totally turned their back on him, and for good reason. Had he paid another $100 bucks or so to get dealer to install the springs, his process to get help would have been much easier.

Best of luck!
Old 07-27-15, 02:20 PM
dagobert
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the parts you are trying to get warranty on failed as a direct result of the aftermarket performance parts than you will be denied warranty on those parts alone.

If your NAV craps out and you want it replaced under warranty - this can not be denied as your RSR are not the direct cause.

Burden of proof lies with the dealership not you.

Have a read through the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnus...s_Warranty_Act

http://www.mlmlaw.com/library/guides...s/undermag.htm
Old 07-28-15, 09:12 PM
travanx
Driver School Candidate

Different brand but I had an Acura that had a semi recall that not every dealer would fix, 1st gear to 2nd gear grind. One dealer did and my car was heavily modified at the time, no transmission mods though. They even just charged labor to put a new clutch and LSD in while the car was on the rack. I would go to the dealer and ask at service as its going to be up to the dealer how they will handle the warranty.

Not exactly sure what could go wrong with the dealer installing springs though. Installing springs upside down is pretty sad.
Old 07-30-15, 07:36 PM
yellow2112
Pole Position

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

I asked at time of purchase and was told that it voided the warranty completely.

So, be careful what you do or what you signed NOT to do.
Old 07-30-15, 09:42 PM
Driverseat
Rookie

Originally Posted by yellow2112
I asked at time of purchase and was told that it voided the warranty completely.

So, be careful what you do or what you signed NOT to do.
Your warranty would still be intact until something goes wrong and the culprit was your aftermarket modification.