IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Thinking of purchasing! IS3 owners advice!?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-15, 09:18 PM
kdotk
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Thinking of purchasing! IS3 owners advice!?

Firstly, a great deal of my decision is hampered by the fact that I love my current vehicle. Another great deal of my decision is based on 'feelings', and while the prospect of an IS excites me, the idea of giving up my Jeep is unnerving.

I currently drive a Grand Cherokee, which I purchased almost a year ago as a demo from my local dealer. I learned to drive on a Grand Cherokee years back, though the family got rid of it because it spent most of its life in the shop. Since we got rid of it, I have wanted to own another, thus my soft spot for Jeeps. It is always in the back of my mind how well the Jeep will hold up 2, 4, and 8 years down the road.

A few years back my mother purchased a RX after a string of german and american cars/suvs, which all had their various problems. Like many others she has been converted to Lexus. I often am the one doing the routine maintenance runs to the dealer, and I must say the 'Lexus experience' is a breath of fresh air.

Back to my problem... My local dealer has a lightly used IS250 AWD on the lot that they are willing to trade for my Jeep. I haven't got concrete numbers yet, but have been told I would be out at the most 2k. The IS is in a color combo I like, and has just under half the miles of my jeep. With this in mind, I am thinking of trading in the Jeep for a car I am a little less excited about, but will likely be a better long term plan. I have posted on the Jeep forums I belong to, but most people on there have been of little help. Most Jeep forum members would never admit it, but I never use my vehicle for off roading or hauling, so I am really just driving it out of preference. I do prefer a higher seating position, but I am thinking nimble handling is of equal tradeoff.

Long story short, I am looking for some of the pros and cons, as owners, you 3rd generation IS folks could educate me on, to help make my decision a tad easier.

Thanks in advanced!
Old 06-10-15, 09:37 PM
evident
Racer

Received 125 Likes on 99 Posts

Well you are comparing apples to oranges, suv to small compact sport sedan. You will lose out on the utility of your jeep. The 3is has fold down rear seats in case y might have to haul something long. You will gain a great handling car with a great exterior and interior. Not a big fan of the 250 engine and I'd suggest you get the 350 if you care at all about speed, otherwise it would be a downgrade from your jeeps pentastar engine in my opinion.

I've had my 350 for 2 months and it's great so far. Wife drives an rx so we use that for hauling stuff. The is handles Costco runs pretty well though
Old 06-11-15, 01:07 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

My IS 250 AWD is my daily driver and love it. Yes, it can use a few more horses, but the engine is buttery smooth and power is more than adequate for city driving.

Almost two years of ownership now - time flies. With the exception of the battery drain issue as some '14 owners have experienced (resolved in my case by Lexus under warranty), the IS has been reliable and materials durable.

If you don't need the extra cargo and ground clearance, I don't see why you shouldn't be in an IS right now! Good luck in your decision.