IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Broken Headlight - Need Help

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-15, 11:31 AM
socalguy83
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken Headlight - Need Help

I was involved in a hit and run yesterday. Truck bumper hit my right side headlight and kept going. Lexus wants over $1000 for a new headlight, but I noticed there are a lot of them online. I have changed headlights before, but I'm wondering how difficult this is on the new model. Do I have to take the whole bumper off? This is also the first time I've dealt with HID lights. I noticed a lot of them say "bare" with no electrics. What does that mean exactly? My light still works, it just cracked the lens open and broke the projector portion of the main headlight. All bulbs are still working. Also, my model is the F Sport. Is there anything different between the base headlight and my headlight? Any help is appreciated. I want to try and save as much money as possible.

(Thank god for no body damage)
Attached Thumbnails Broken Headlight - Need Help-img_0923.jpg  
Old 06-05-15, 12:11 PM
EJ255t
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

damn! sorry to see that. those are the same lights I have, and they are LED not HID. I don't think there are any differences in the headlights for the F and non F sport.

I would buy a used headlight housing and just swap it, that would be your best bet to save some money also.

Good luck
Old 06-05-15, 02:06 PM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by socalguy83
I was involved in a hit and run yesterday. Truck bumper hit my right side headlight and kept going. Lexus wants over $1000 for a new headlight, but I noticed there are a lot of them online. I have changed headlights before, but I'm wondering how difficult this is on the new model. Do I have to take the whole bumper off? This is also the first time I've dealt with HID lights. I noticed a lot of them say "bare" with no electrics. What does that mean exactly? My light still works, it just cracked the lens open and broke the projector portion of the main headlight. All bulbs are still working. Also, my model is the F Sport. Is there anything different between the base headlight and my headlight? Any help is appreciated. I want to try and save as much money as possible.

(Thank god for no body damage)
Yes, you do need to take the front bumper off in order to access some tabs for the headlights as well as having the ability to remove the headlight assembly from the car.

Just as what EJ255t said, the twin headlights are LED and not HID.
Old 06-10-15, 10:09 PM
socalguy83
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AndyL
Yes, you do need to take the front bumper off in order to access some tabs for the headlights as well as having the ability to remove the headlight assembly from the car.

Just as what EJ255t said, the twin headlights are LED and not HID.
Thank you both. Are there any kind of diagrams, books or how to's on removing the front bumper for this model? I see a lot of stuff for the 2IS, but nothing really on the 3IS.

Also, I'm in LA. Any locals willing to help a fellow Lexus friend out? Or know of any body shops that would do it on the cheap?

Thanks.
Old 06-10-15, 10:46 PM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by socalguy83
Thank you both. Are there any kind of diagrams, books or how to's on removing the front bumper for this model? I see a lot of stuff for the 2IS, but nothing really on the 3IS.

Also, I'm in LA. Any locals willing to help a fellow Lexus friend out? Or know of any body shops that would do it on the cheap?

Thanks.
Not sure where you are in CA, but if you're not too far from Fountain Valley, I'm sure Son at Dynamic would do the work at a fair price and save you a headache.
Old 06-11-15, 10:23 AM
aIRpeACE
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

since all the bulbs still work. just swap the housing and you should be fine