3IS Paint - White Nova / Ultra White

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-15, 05:48 PM
nslac
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 3IS Paint - White Nova / Ultra White

Fellas,

I recently placed an order for IS350 F Sport in White Nova (assuming it's same as Ultra White).

While talking to the salesperson, he commented that the paintwork now has glass particle (including metallic). According to him it's a new thing out of Japan.

Is this true or was the guy pulling my leg ? I have tried googling but haven't found any info.
Old 05-12-15, 06:56 PM
cp2
Racer

Received 326 Likes on 195 Posts

check the paint code. neb grey from the 3is is the same as grey mica from 1/2is
Old 05-12-15, 07:39 PM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is a reference chart to paint codes:

http://www.toyotareference.com/lexusis
Old 05-12-15, 11:43 PM
computerwi
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

The general term I believe the salesman is referring to is "pearl" or "metallic" paints. These have been popular in the past decade or so. They require additional steps in the painting process. Definitely nothing new though..
Old 05-13-15, 12:57 AM
nslac
Rookie

Originally Posted by computerwi
The general term I believe the salesman is referring to is "pearl" or "metallic" paints. These have been popular in the past decade or so. They require additional steps in the painting process. Definitely nothing new though..
In addition to the pearl/metallic, he said the paint is also mixed with glass particle and is a new thing with 3IS

I found some additional from an Australian Lexus brochure. Apparently certain paints does contain flakes of actual glass for additional shine.

http://www.lexusofbrisbane.com.au/st...-eBrochure.pdf

Extract below:
Starlight Black on the other hand employs a glass flake technology which displays a level of glitter and sheen when exposed to city lights quite unlike any other finish. Tiny glass flakes embedded deep within the paint coat reflect rays of light and emit a delicate yet powerful radiance and a golden hue under bright sunlight.

Exclusive to F Sport models, White Nova emits a dazzling glow reminiscent of the LFA supercar. A newly developed white pigment deep below the paint surface interacts with highly transparent glass flakes to produce a sleek whiteness with intense highlights.

Premium Silver is a rich metallic finish which incorporates tiny metallic particles embedded deep within the clear coat. This results in a three-dimensional lighting effect which accentuates the deep curves and raised character lines of the body panels, adding structure and definition to the design.

Or you may prefer the more pronounced texture of Mica finishes presented in Vermillion or Mercury Grey. This complex process incorporates flakes of Mica which emit a mysterious blue-green tone. White Pearl is a crystal sheen process which possesses powerful reflective qualities. A layer of pearl is applied over a reflective white base coat, to achieve a lustre reminiscent of a fine pearl. Remarkably, the reflective effect changes when it’s exposed to different qualities of sunlight.
Old 05-13-15, 06:37 AM
kabgolf1
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by nslac
Fellas,

I recently placed an order for IS350 F Sport in White Nova (assuming it's same as Ultra White).

While talking to the salesperson, he commented that the paintwork now has glass particle (including metallic). According to him it's a new thing out of Japan.

Is this true or was the guy pulling my leg ? I have tried googling but haven't found any info.

Ultra White/White Nova is actually a glass flake paint and not a metallic. It sparkles in a completely different way and you will be very happy to see it in person. It is also extremely white compared to other whites on the market. My 3IS is Ultra White and it looks great. Pictures cannot pick up the true reflectiveness of the glass particles.
Old 05-13-15, 12:06 PM
computerwi
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by nslac
In addition to the pearl/metallic, he said the paint is also mixed with glass particle and is a new thing with 3IS
That is exactly what pearl paint is. Pearl paints have small flakes of mica, which is a silca-based mineral. Glass is made from silca.

Technicalities aside, the Ultra White is amazing. The level of whiteness is unlike anything else on the road. Parked beside a "white" Mercedes once, made it look like an ugly beige.
Old 05-13-15, 08:10 PM
nslac
Rookie

Originally Posted by computerwi
Technicalities aside, the Ultra White is amazing. The level of whiteness is unlike anything else on the road. Parked beside a "white" Mercedes once, made it look like an ugly beige.
Not having a go at you but I am just curious.

If it is the same thing then why is Lexus advertising it as 2 different products ?
E.g. Mica finishes and glass flake technology

The reason why I am trying to research this is because brother's audi recently got keyed so I am getting a little paranoid thinking about it.

I am assuming the respray process will be different to a metallic/pearl paint so will that mean more dollars... ?