IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Service Soon

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-14, 12:52 PM
laozi12
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Service Soon

Hello all, my first post here. My first service is coming soon, and there is a small scratch/chip rock on the bottom of my passenger door. Would it be unreasonable to try and ask if they could paint/sand/remove it for me. Thank You, this is my first brand new vehicle., so I don't know the procedures of such.
Old 09-15-14, 05:41 PM
Dark9t316
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Doubt it. That's a lot of labor involved, no such thing as a free meal. If you bought a tube of touch up paint ($12), they might apply it for you but I wouldn't expect any more than that.
Old 09-15-14, 05:58 PM
laozi12
Driver School Candidate

Ah...how much will bringing it in a detailer cost me, and is it a good idea to wax it the whole car to prevent such from happening again.
Old 09-15-14, 06:46 PM
enoren
Pole Position

I had a paint chip for my first visit a few years ago and had the same question you did. They added a bottle of touch up paint to the bill and sent me on my way.
Old 09-15-14, 08:06 PM
IS1911
Driver

Originally Posted by laozi12
Ah...how much will bringing it in a detailer cost me, and is it a good idea to wax it the whole car to prevent such from happening again.
No type of amount of wax is going to prevent stone chips, that's what paint protection film (also known as "clear bra") is for however it's not practical or cost effective to apply it to the entire car. It's usually not a good ecomonical decision to repaint an entire panel because of one stone chip or scratch. Remember, the more paint you have on the car the problems you will have. Unless you have the work performed by a world class painter . . . the kind of guys who paint hot rods/customs and charge 50K+ . . . the repainted panel isn't going to be as good as factory. If the chip is down to the bare metal touch it up and learn to live with it. I know that's not what you wanted to hear but it's good advice. Any car you drive on a daily basis is going to be subject to this kind of damage no matter how careful you are.
Old 09-16-14, 07:26 AM
moose66
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You should point it out the your service advisor before you get there for your appointment. Some dealerships, at least here in the Raleigh/Durham area, bring in contractors to do dent removal, minor paint touch ups, clear bra install, etc. If they know in advance, they can set something up for your right there at the dealership. If it is something they can do quickly and efficiently, they'll have it done and just charge you for it. I've had it done before. Just beware, it won't be the cheapest option. Just like with anything else, you have to pay for convenience.

Last edited by moose66; 09-16-14 at 08:57 AM. Reason: Change to wording
Old 09-16-14, 08:21 AM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 268 Likes on 216 Posts

You need clear bra to prevent rock chips and small scratches. No wax will protect any rock strike, or keep far away from big trucks.
Old 09-19-14, 01:54 PM
aznGuy115
4th Gear

Originally Posted by laozi12
Hello all, my first post here. My first service is coming soon, and there is a small scratch/chip rock on the bottom of my passenger door. Would it be unreasonable to try and ask if they could paint/sand/remove it for me. Thank You, this is my first brand new vehicle., so I don't know the procedures of such.
The Service Department wouldn't do it. However, whenever anything is wrong with my IS (2014 IS250), I visit the salesperson who sold it to me and he usually helps me out. He's replaced the floor mats for me for free, touched up the paint on the hood (road debris) and buffed out some marks on the fender all without any charges
Old 09-19-14, 05:09 PM
salvadorik
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by aznGuy115
The Service Department wouldn't do it. However, whenever anything is wrong with my IS (2014 IS250), I visit the salesperson who sold it to me and he usually helps me out. He's replaced the floor mats for me for free, touched up the paint on the hood (road debris) and buffed out some marks on the fender all without any charges
That is one hell of a salesman! Unfortunately most dealership sales departments treat the customers good UP TO the point of sale. After that the vast majority of customer-dealer interactions happen with service departments.