IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Any shifting issues?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-14, 03:44 PM
LexusJEFF5
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any shifting issues?

Is anyone having any shifting issues with their 350? I have a 2014, AWD F-sport and ever since I got it about 4k miles ago, it's been sluggish to up-shift until the engine warms up. It commonly takes me 2 or 3 flicks of the paddle (or stick) to upshift into any gear and this is during very easy acceleration too (I would never romp on it until the engine is fully warmed up). I would at least understand if it was on downshifts as maybe a way to protect the engine from revving too high when it's cold but it's actually doing the opposite by temporarily preventing me from lowering the revs. I've also always had a car with a manual transmission so I don't know if this is typical for shiftable automatics or not but it seems weird to me.

I'm bringing it in for my first warranty service in less than a month and I've asked them to check this out but I was wondering if anyone else has been experiencing this problem. Any input would be great.

Thanks!
Old 06-04-14, 04:16 PM
carderoni
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I've seen this behavior in both my AWD and RWD models. I believe it's by design to help warm up the drivetrain components while also preventing the engine from bogging down in higher gears at low speeds during this warmup period. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure this is normal behavior with Lexus transmissions.
Old 06-04-14, 05:28 PM
CTLG
Rookie

Originally Posted by LexusJEFF5
Is anyone having any shifting issues with their 350? I have a 2014, AWD F-sport and ever since I got it about 4k miles ago, it's been sluggish to up-shift until the engine warms up. It commonly takes me 2 or 3 flicks of the paddle (or stick) to upshift into any gear and this is during very easy acceleration too (I would never romp on it until the engine is fully warmed up). I would at least understand if it was on downshifts as maybe a way to protect the engine from revving too high when it's cold but it's actually doing the opposite by temporarily preventing me from lowering the revs. I've also always had a car with a manual transmission so I don't know if this is typical for shiftable automatics or not but it seems weird to me.

I'm bringing it in for my first warranty service in less than a month and I've asked them to check this out but I was wondering if anyone else has been experiencing this problem. Any input would be great.

Thanks!
It's to help with catalytic light-off for emissions and more importantly, to keep the driver from lugging the engine when cold.

Also, the torque converter locks-up while in full manual mode, so there is no torque-converter slippage to help protect from lugging at low-RPMs. I suspect the ECU was programmed to limit the RPMs from being too low in full-manual mode until the coolant temp reaches a certain temp.

Doesn't really surprise me, the ECU seems to be very invasive in this car. I guess Lexus doesn't want any issues to arise which might bring down its reliability factor. Makes sense to me.
Old 06-04-14, 05:46 PM
LexusJEFF5
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the replies guys! That is very helpful. I guess that actually makes a lot of sense. I was thinking more about the damage that could be done by high rpm but loading the engine in the way you described is bad too I suppose.
Old 06-04-14, 06:09 PM
NebulaIS
Rookie

Noticed the same but this is while leaving it in auto mode. Even in warmer temps I let the engine warmup for a minute or so before I start driving...trying to accelerate onto the freeway within a few mins of driving and feels like the car is still half asleep
Old 06-04-14, 06:18 PM
LexusJEFF5
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by NebulaIS
Noticed the same but this is while leaving it in auto mode. Even in warmer temps I let the engine warmup for a minute or so before I start driving...trying to accelerate onto the freeway within a few mins of driving and feels like the car is still half asleep
Hmmm...I hardly ever drive in Auto mode unless I'm cruising on the highway so I'll have to try that out and see if it still happens.
Old 06-04-14, 06:22 PM
NebulaIS
Rookie

Originally Posted by LexusJEFF5
Hmmm...I hardly ever drive in Auto mode unless I'm cruising on the highway so I'll have to try that out and see if it still happens.
How's your mileage? I rarely put it in auto because I've gotten used to how smooth (once it's warmed up) the car shifts in auto. I don't like how quickly the car upshifts in auto though because if you need to slow down and take off again the car is usually always in 6th gear.
Old 06-04-14, 06:38 PM
Larry96815
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CTLG
It's to help with catalytic light-off for emissions and more importantly, to keep the driver from lugging the engine when cold.

Also, the torque converter locks-up while in full manual mode, so there is no torque-converter slippage to help protect from lugging at low-RPMs. I suspect the ECU was programmed to limit the RPMs from being too low in full-manual mode until the coolant temp reaches a certain temp.

Doesn't really surprise me, the ECU seems to be very invasive in this car. I guess Lexus doesn't want any issues to arise which might bring down its reliability factor. Makes sense to me.
I had this same thing on my previous car, a different manufacturer, and I asked the dealer about it and was told the same as CTLG stated. Drove it 10 years and was that way the entire time (19,000 miles!)
Old 06-04-14, 07:42 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

LexusJeff5, same (normal) behavior on the 250. Engine needs to warm up first. Nothing to worry about.
Old 06-09-14, 04:41 PM
LexusJEFF5
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by NebulaIS
How's your mileage? I rarely put it in auto because I've gotten used to how smooth (once it's warmed up) the car shifts in auto. I don't like how quickly the car upshifts in auto though because if you need to slow down and take off again the car is usually always in 6th gear.
Well first of all I guess I should've said that differently. I hardly ever use auto when driving on back roads but most of my driving does take place on the highway (commuting). With that being said, I would say I usually get around 22-23 mpg on 35/40 mph roads in manual mode and around 26 mpg on the highway in auto. I've gotten as high as 28 mpg which was mostly highway and some back roads. These numbers are in ECO mode. Hope that helps.
Old 06-09-14, 04:42 PM
LexusJEFF5
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
LexusJeff5, same (normal) behavior on the 250. Engine needs to warm up first. Nothing to worry about.
Thanks for the reply, definitely good to know that this is normal!