IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

2010 IS (7 years old) - 50k miles - change TPMS sensors during tire change?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-17, 02:19 PM
travelride
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2010 IS (7 years old) - 50k miles - change TPMS sensors during tire change?

I have a 2010 IS350C that I'm about to change the tires on. A 2010 is right around 7 years old... I've heard the sensors last "up to 10 years". I'm wondering if I should just bite the bullet and change them at the same time I get my tires changed?

Should I buy Lexus OEM or will 3rd party ones last as long this time around? I have no intention of selling this car for several more years.

What would you do?
Old 02-10-17, 03:20 PM
Aspect
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 122 Posts

Personally I would just wait until they actually die. You can change them now if you want since your tires are coming off anyways, but changing them now would be a waste of 3 ish more years of battery life if that claim is true. When they do die it would be annoying to drive around all the time with the tire pressure low light and check system always blinking on you but that's basically the worst of it unless you luck out and get a flat and drive on it without noticing while your TPMS aren't working. That's just what I would do though. The sensors cost like $200 bucks so I'm definitely using them until they break
Old 02-10-17, 03:26 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,949 Likes on 1,372 Posts

If it was me, and it was on my last tire change, I'd change 'em. I went with VDO. They've been in 14 months now with no issues.

Lou
Old 02-10-17, 03:35 PM
travelride
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Aspect
Personally I would just wait until they actually die. You can change them now if you want since your tires are coming off anyways, but changing them now would be a waste of 3 ish more years of battery life if that claim is true. When they do die it would be annoying to drive around all the time with the tire pressure low light and check system always blinking on you but that's basically the worst of it unless you luck out and get a flat and drive on it without noticing while your TPMS aren't working. That's just what I would do though. The sensors cost like $200 bucks so I'm definitely using them until they break
You touched on my dilemma. I really don't care about the $200 that much. I also don't want to waste $200. What I'd care about is them going a year and then one of them dies with 3/4 tread life left on these tires - then I get to pay for a dismount, balance, and remount in addition to the cost of the sensors. If I can reasonably expect them to last three more years, then that's the NEXT tire change, not this one.

So, maybe that's the question... How long are these things lasting people? Are there any 10 year old Lexus's out there running the original TPMS sensors? Because that's about how old it will be at the next tire change.
Old 02-10-17, 03:40 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

^^^^^Yes, that's the question. It's an unknown. Why gamble? You may lose or you may not I chose not to gamble.

Lou
Old 02-10-17, 04:12 PM
typhoon44
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would wait. I have a 2006 and still have the original set with no issues.
Old 02-11-17, 07:01 AM
Solara350
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 69 Posts

don't change don't waste money, TPMS , if nothing wrong why you wanna spend your $ ? if nothing wrong with the sensor they will last forever, TPMS just the pressure measurement from your tire it has nothing to do with the car, TPMS goes bad or damage unless you hit the giant pothole ran over the sidewalk or hit the curb really hard or unless it breaks in half, TPMS shared the same signal with ABS and the ring inside your hub before the bearing, it's wireless. My friend drove without TMPS sensor with no problem, my summer wheels has no TPMS , you 'll get the warning ligh on your dash but thats not a big deal.
Old 02-11-17, 07:08 AM
Solara350
Instructor

Originally Posted by flowrider
^^^^^Yes, that's the question. It's an unknown. Why gamble? You may lose or you may not I chose not to gamble.

Lou
what ya talking about ? TPMS is like ABS they are sensors that receiving signal, sensors are electrical parts if they don't work they don't work they're not like mechanical part that goes bad in time, the guy whom said they will last 10 years = Bulls., gamble what ? even if brand new TMPS and u damage them, you still gonna get the another right ? Dealer's sensors costs 300$ , China sensors 30$ for both side L/R and still last ever since. Thats why i like Asian cars over European.
Old 02-11-17, 08:30 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

^^^^NO. There's a battery in each of them, and over time that battery depletes itself. It's just a matter of time. THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKING!!!!!!!! What the heck are you talking about

Lou
Old 02-11-17, 08:52 AM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Solara350
what ya talking about ? TPMS is like ABS they are sensors that receiving signal, sensors are electrical parts if they don't work they don't work they're not like mechanical part that goes bad in time, the guy whom said they will last 10 years = Bulls., gamble what ? even if brand new TMPS and u damage them, you still gonna get the another right ? Dealer's sensors costs 300$ , China sensors 30$ for both side L/R and still last ever since. Thats why i like Asian cars over European.
No idea what you're going on about. I'm currently over 11 years with the original TPMS.
Old 02-11-17, 12:51 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real
Forum Moderator

Received 613 Likes on 406 Posts

Originally Posted by Solara350
The batteries in the sensors typically last about 8-10 years before needing to be replaced. The batteries are not intended to be removed from the sensors, hence, you need to periodically replace the sensors when the batteries die.

Jeff
Old 02-11-17, 07:29 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

^^^^And I must I add, it's far easier to R&R the sensors before the batteries die when installing new tires. Hence my answer to the OP.

Lou
The following users liked this post:
Jeff Lange (02-11-17)
Old 02-12-17, 06:30 AM
Nespo2330
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Don't change them.
Old 02-12-17, 09:08 AM
carlos3366
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

don't change them, wait for them to fail. one of mine (2008) just failed and I had the guys at Sam's replace it with no problems and for $45.00 usd.
Old 02-12-17, 03:40 PM
Solara350
Instructor

Originally Posted by TimboIS
No idea what you're going on about. I'm currently over 11 years with the original TPMS.
if u don't know what I'm talking about don't quote then ?

Quick Reply: 2010 IS (7 years old) - 50k miles - change TPMS sensors during tire change?