IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

07 IS250 Front Pass Wheel Hub Assembly Help

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-16, 09:34 PM
Antoniobro
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07 IS250 Front Pass Wheel Hub Assembly Help

Hi all. Just wanted second opinions. Will try to keep a Long story short, I recently hit a curb with my 07 IS250 and I hit my Front Passenger Wheel pretty good on that curb. Enough to give my wheel curb rash and to create a knocking noise that sounds like the wheel was possibly loose and falling off. And to create a lot of vibration in the pedals and steering wheel when driving over 50mph. Took off the wheel myself and put it back on making it was on there properly and lug nuts were secure. Still had vibration/knocking noise. So I took it to les schwab and they said the wheel hub assembly is bad and to replace it, it will be about 400 for the hub assembly, 60 for the rotor and 118 for labor and taxes. And mind you, after they took a look & put everything back on, the car drove a lot better, no vibration at all but still a knocking noise or grinding noise when I go over 50MPH and when I'm braking/slowing down. So, is there anywhere to get this hub assembly cheaper? I've looked online but totally confused from all the different looking hub assemblies. And how hard would it be to DIY?

Thank you in advance.
Old 11-15-16, 10:08 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

you can get a wheel bearing assembly off of rock auto for cheap. the is250/350 is sold everywhere. its super easy to replace yourself because it is a whole unit. 4 bolts after taking off caliper and rotor. took me about 20-25 mins to do one side with torquing each bolt to oem spec.

this whole job will cost less than 200(including new wheel bearing assembly) if you do the work yourself. if you can change your oil, you can do this job. (then again, I'm mechanically inclined)
Old 11-15-16, 11:53 PM
Antoniobro
Driver School Candidate

Hey, Thank you ISF Power. Appreciate the reply. But just how do I know if I'm getting the correct part? Most assemblies I've looked at are all listed as the hub for my specific model but look different from one another.
Old 11-16-16, 11:14 AM
Gville350

Received 435 Likes on 387 Posts

Check to see if you popped your ball joint out of the upper control arm. That would create similar noises if not seated in the UCA correctly. The top of the ball joint should sit flush along the top of the UCA surface.
Old 11-16-16, 06:47 PM
Viktimize
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Just make sure you choose the corresponding part for your car. If you have AWD, then get the hub labeled for AWD. If it's RWD, then get the RWD one.

Definitely go to RockAuto. They beat any other supplier I could find by a long shot. My woman hammered a pothole really bad on her 2014 and killed the wheel bearing too. I have the parts now, so I'll be changing it and doing the front brakes pretty soon here.
Old 11-17-16, 09:58 AM
Antoniobro
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Gville350
Check to see if you popped your ball joint out of the upper control arm. That would create similar noises if not seated in the UCA correctly. The top of the ball joint should sit flush along the top of the UCA surface.
Alright, thank you, I will double check to see if everything is properly seated and fitted.
Old 11-17-16, 10:01 AM
Antoniobro
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Viktimize
Just make sure you choose the corresponding part for your car. If you have AWD, then get the hub labeled for AWD. If it's RWD, then get the RWD one.

Definitely go to RockAuto. They beat any other supplier I could find by a long shot. My woman hammered a pothole really bad on her 2014 and killed the wheel bearing too. I have the parts now, so I'll be changing it and doing the front brakes pretty soon here.
I appreciate it! Thank you! Any particular brand You would reccomend?
Old 11-17-16, 07:47 PM
Viktimize
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Antoniobro
I appreciate it! Thank you! Any particular brand You would reccomend?
I got a Timken as I have read they are a quality replacement brand.
Old 12-14-16, 08:40 AM
Antoniobro
Driver School Candidate

UPDATE: I replaced the Front Passenger Wheel Hub Assembly on my 2007 Lexus IS250 RWD & I must say, it was super easy to do. The only thing I struggled with was finding the correct thread size for the rotor. The rotors are Pressed on, so just make sure you have the thread ready before working on the car & save yourself a trip to the auto store. Process took me less than 30 min! and it cost me $140(+$20 for 2 day shipping) for the Wheel Hub Assembly on RockAuto.com. The noise from my passenger wheel is completely gone! So it indeed was a bad wheel hub assembly. Unfortunately, now the auto shop I go to is saying my Upper Ball Joint needs to be replaced....... And it turns out that I do have a bent wheel from that hard hit on the curb. Not surprised. I did record myself replacing the Wheel Hub Assembly & I am still editing the video. Will let you all know when I have finished, for those of you who are currently experiencing this issue or will in the future !

Thank you all again to those who helped!!