IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Salvaged Title Lexus IS350

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-16, 11:03 AM
ezbmr
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Salvaged Title Lexus IS350

So I have talked to two people who have IS350s for sale. One is a 2007 with Clean Title fully equipped and 116k, which I am thinking 9500-10,000. The other being 2011 IS F-Sport with 95000 miles, but a salvaged title. I might be able to get it for 12-13k It has everything that a 2011 has. I bought a Salvaged by accident once, ended up giving it back, it was a mess or a salvage. This guy is making good noises. He claims to have owned it for a few years and says that the quarter panel was fixed and it was mainly the trunk and bumper cover. I put up the pics on my other thread.

My main issue is Salvaged. Can you still get the factory to replace recalled items on a salvaged car? Airbags, Dash, etc. I know that the 2011 doesn't have these recalls, but I don't want to be completely on my own, if I am spending that much money. He is asking 15k but he is negotiable. He said he wouldn't take a crazy offer like 10k

Old 10-25-16, 12:22 PM
Aspect
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 122 Posts

Damage is damage... he should be prepared to take a hit since resale value is now severely lessened because of the salvage title. Even if the car is still "fine" you're still going to have to buy a new bumper etc etc etc. I'd get the older 2007 one and save myself the hassle of repair and loss of value.
Old 10-25-16, 01:45 PM
ezbmr
Driver

The car has been fixed. He says that he paid a "friend" in Santa Ana and has been driving the car for the last two years. He bought the car with the damage. The plate does indicate that the car was just fixed, so strike two is that it looks like he lied about the 2 years.

Old 10-25-16, 02:30 PM
Rezno
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

If you don't care about resale value and you are absolutely sure of all of the details of the crash and what was repaired and such, then go for the 2011 salvaged title car. Personally I wouldn't and I'd just keep searching because problems might come up later . Honestly if he won't sell it for less than $12.5k its not worth it. If you're able to get the price of the 2007 at 9k or below, go for that and don't look back. (116k is WAY too much. Yes I know its a Lexus and it will last a long time but still it seems unlikely you'll get a better deal... where I live the high mile IS350s go for 12k and above with a clean title, so 9-10k is pretty good but try to get him to 9k or below)

It really just depends on what you care most about - lower resale value/newer car or higher mileage/no major unexpected crash problems.
Old 10-25-16, 02:52 PM
BlckGhst
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

I wouldnt even consider a car with salvage title
Old 10-25-16, 03:03 PM
The350Girl
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it's dirt cheap then ok if the price is not that cheap, don't buy, a lot of headache, buy 2011+ because no recall
Old 10-25-16, 04:28 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

I'd ONLY consider a salvage vehicle if I intend to drive it for YEARS! Because as many said, the depreciation and resale value sucks. The accident doesn't look bad; just wish it had hit the bumper crash bar instead of the actual trunk. But if you do consider it, check out all of the electronic items that have to do with the rear end (back-up camera, taillights, license plate lights, trunk lock mech, etc etc) AND make sure that the trunk doesn't leak!

$15k for the salvage vehicle I personally think is too high.
Old 10-25-16, 06:31 PM
The350Girl
Driver

Originally Posted by kitabel
He claims to have owned it for a few years and says that the quarter panel was fixed and it was mainly the trunk and bumper cover

He's a liar.
Salvage is not cosmetic or mechanical damage, it's a car that is not structurally safe to drive.
There is Rebuilt Title , what does that mean rebuilt ?
Old 10-25-16, 06:54 PM
Vadim540i
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ezbmr
So I have talked to two people who have IS350s for sale. One is a 2007 with Clean Title fully equipped and 116k, which I am thinking 9500-10,000. The other being 2011 IS F-Sport with 95000 miles, but a salvaged title. I might be able to get it for 12-13k It has everything that a 2011 has. I bought a Salvaged by accident once, ended up giving it back, it was a mess or a salvage. This guy is making good noises. He claims to have owned it for a few years and says that the quarter panel was fixed and it was mainly the trunk and bumper cover. I put up the pics on my other thread.

My main issue is Salvaged. Can you still get the factory to replace recalled items on a salvaged car? Airbags, Dash, etc. I know that the 2011 doesn't have these recalls, but I don't want to be completely on my own, if I am spending that much money. He is asking 15k but he is negotiable. He said he wouldn't take a crazy offer like 10k

Salvaged title car may be okay, it all depends on the damage. The car that is shown on the photos here does have significant structural damage. The energy of the impact was not absorbed by the energy absorbing member (rear crash bar). From photos, it's clear that the trunk geometry was compromised — this may lead to water leaks, uneven panel gaps, stress on trunk hinges and lock caused by improper alignment of the trunk and many other issues. Above all - the safety of the car is reduced. Metal that has been previously damaged is not as strong (metal fatigue). From other photos it looks like the left muffler is not properly aligned (this may just be a lens distortion). Overall, I would not recommend buying this car unless it is very cheap ($9k or less) and you're okay with potential problems. Cars like these are rarely properly restored to factory specifications because individuals that buy crashed vehicles are one the budget and complete restoration is cost prohibitive.

I hope this helps.

- Regards, Vadim
Old 10-25-16, 06:59 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Also keep this in mind. Spending 5k and under on a salvage/rebuilt title isn't as risky as 9-10k on a salvage/rebuilt.

In some states (I'm not 100% sure which ones) you aren't able to get full coverage insurance on a vehicle with a rebuilt/salvage title. Wreck it, and you're out the price it costed you to buy it.

If the individual purchased the vehicle with intentions to flip, be assured the job will not be done 100% correctly.
Old 10-25-16, 07:43 PM
ezbmr
Driver

Yeah, I think I will stay away from it. There are some other cars on my list. I kinda wish that there was a good square tire setup for the IS350. It is nice to be able to rotate. Sadly, I haven't rotated my tires in so long. Mostly because I haven't had a matching front/back set. Don't hate, but I was eyeing a 2009 535i, I do like those cars. I know the clock is ticking, that 2007 SGM isn't gonna last long.
Old 10-26-16, 04:41 AM
HankMoody
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Dude we keep seeing your threads about buying a IS350.. Finding a 2010-2013 with low miles is pretty easy that would be my decision. Seems like you're trying to do this on a budget, which is good, but you'll end up regretting it later. Just go spend the extra now to get a solid car, you won't regret it later.
Old 10-26-16, 11:12 AM
Rezno
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ezbmr
Yeah, I think I will stay away from it. There are some other cars on my list. I kinda wish that there was a good square tire setup for the IS350. It is nice to be able to rotate. Sadly, I haven't rotated my tires in so long. Mostly because I haven't had a matching front/back set. Don't hate, but I was eyeing a 2009 535i, I do like those cars. I know the clock is ticking, that 2007 SGM isn't gonna last long.
Its your choice man. No one will hate on you and we will respect your decision on what you decide to do. Obviously we will have some bias as this is a Lexus forum. All advice we give is just to help you out a bit based on our experiences and such.

I hate to say it but when it comes to buying a car you really just have to be too patient, something I absolutely can't stand. Especially because getting a car is too exciting of an experience. If your budget is a little higher try going for a slightly newer car even if the miles are a bit high if that is what you're concerned about. No joke I was in your exact scenario when I bought my 350 and really it was just luck more than anything else. The right car will show up eventually.
Old 10-26-16, 04:25 PM
The350Girl
Driver

Originally Posted by HankMoody
Dude we keep seeing your threads about buying a IS350.. Finding a 2010-2013 with low miles is pretty easy that would be my decision. Seems like you're trying to do this on a budget, which is good, but you'll end up regretting it later. Just go spend the extra now to get a solid car, you won't regret it later.
Agree with you, Rebuilt/Savage = headache and no resale value and not perfect shape, people in Bodyshop said, no one will rebuilt a perfect accident car for sale unless he keeps it that's different story, if the car is write off or totaled = don't buy

Minor damage like 2-4k claims $ it's fine but depend on where it was hit, i got mine 2011 IS350 for a good cheap price with Carfax history report, report said previous owner hit the barrier when he was doing parking he then made a claim to his insurance, the claims was 3000$ Canadian dollars headlight and bumper.

Last edited by The350Girl; 10-26-16 at 04:29 PM.
Old 10-26-16, 07:49 PM
Rezno
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by The350Girl
Agree with you, Rebuilt/Savage = headache and no resale value and not perfect shape, people in Bodyshop said, no one will rebuilt a perfect accident car for sale unless he keeps it that's different story, if the car is write off or totaled = don't buy

Minor damage like 2-4k claims $ it's fine but depend on where it was hit, i got mine 2011 IS350 for a good cheap price with Carfax history report, report said previous owner hit the barrier when he was doing parking he then made a claim to his insurance, the claims was 3000$ Canadian dollars headlight and bumper.
This. Another reason why I would never ever buy a salvage title car and the other problem is the shop or owner will not explain everything that was fixed/not fix something broken. Had too many bad experiences with this. Not to mention the value of the car goes down faster than it will accelerate 0-60...