IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

DIY Lighter Multimedia Inputs (Pics)

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-16, 09:01 PM
Grizsk
Driver

Received 51 Likes on 18 Posts
Default DIY Lighter Multimedia Inputs (Pics)

Hey all,

I'm through the first hurdle of my audio project. I've installed USB and AUX extensions in the factory port for the cigarette lighter assembly up front beside the ashtray. I searched far and wide but found no info on this, so I figured I'd post a DIY thread for anyone interested in doing the same.

I find it super inconvenient when folks run extensions from their aftermarket head unit into the glovebox, so I picked up a couple of pieces that replace your factory lighter assembly. One has USB and AUX, the other a second USB and HDMI in.

I started by removing the ashtray assembly from the center console. I won't go into detail on how to get that done as its covered many times in DIY threads all over the 2IS forum.

Flip the unit upside down to expose the lighter assembly.

Remove the nut holding the housing in place.

Use a pair of needle nose pliers to depress the 2 tabs on the clip holding the harness in place. Push out using the pliers to free the harness.

Next, remove the bulb from the housing by twisting the black base and pulling upward once its free.

Feed the bulb through the housing so it can be pulled through without snagging.

Take your pliers and remove the clip on the harness by grasping firmly and pulling it backward.

Remove the housing.

You can now pull the entire assembly out from above.

Feed the wires of your extension through the hole where your lighter was, and press down firmly to secure the input housing. It's a snug fit so be sure to align your ports before pushing it into place, as it may be hard to remove.

There you have it! Run your cables up to your aftermarket head unit and you've got yourself some (close to) factory looking multimedia inputs!

I was able to retain the ashtray light by reinserting the harness and bulb, sliding the old lighter housing over the backside of my new input housing and securing it in place using a zap strap. Clip the factory harness back into place and reinstall your fancy new ashtray assembly.

I'll be doing the rear 12v with the HDMI extension, and presumably the process will be nearly identical.

Happy installations!
Old 10-18-16, 02:53 PM
Nespo2330
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Weak! Take it to the next level like I did:

Just playin looks good man 🙂
Old 10-18-16, 03:16 PM
Grizsk
Driver

Received 51 Likes on 18 Posts

Haha that's amazing!

How did you get 120v out of there? Is there an inverter back there?

I've always wanted a playstation in the car and its possible if I can get the appropriate wattage. What are the specs on your setup?