IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Instrument cluster noise on start up?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-16, 11:32 AM
flektone
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Instrument cluster noise on start up?

Anyone ever experience noise coming from or behind the instrument cluster? Its hard to describe and im trying to capture video but its hard to hear. Its like a brief static sound is the best way i can describe it. I started it up several times with the hood open and its definitely NOT coming from the engine. I have my dash replaced about 3 months ago and just started hearing this sound about 3 weeks ago. Maybe something wasnt put back correctly?
Old 07-04-16, 04:39 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

I hope you're not talking about the steering wheel alignment that makes a noise before you start the car, and after the car is shut off and a door is opened.
Old 07-04-16, 04:53 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

^^^ Yes, I think you're talking about the steering wheel lock. It's a grinding sort of noise.
Old 07-05-16, 04:21 AM
HankMoody
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I think what you're hearing is the needle wipe that occurs when you push the start button.
Old 07-05-16, 05:48 AM
flektone
Lexus Test Driver

I found one other post on here. Looks like its something within the cluster. I thought maybe something wasnt put back right after my dash was replaced. Doesnt seem like a big deal. If my cluster craps out I can just buy another off ebay and follow the youtube video on how to replace.
Old 07-05-16, 06:20 AM
Bkhectic
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I also just started hearing the grinding sound when I turn the ignition on and the needle moves. It's definitely the needle because I tried it without starting the car. Anyone knows what this is?
Old 07-05-16, 08:09 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

Someone should really shoot a video, or at least a sound clip. Without hearing it, I can't help but suspect that it's the steering lock mechanism unlocking.
Old 07-07-16, 04:38 AM
HankMoody
Pit Crew

I mean, I can definitely hear the needles move in mine, but it's not loud by any means.. Is it a constant noise ? or just when pushing the ign button ?
Old 07-07-16, 04:55 AM
flektone
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by HankMoody
I mean, I can definitely hear the needles move in mine, but it's not loud by any means.. Is it a constant noise ? or just when pushing the ign button ?
Just on start up. My main concern was if it was engine related or not. Do a search and youll find another post with several people complaining of the same thing. It appears there is an issue with the instrument cluster. Its an easy fix so im not to worried about it.

My next question is if you swap out the cluster from one off ebay how do you track the mileage? Can the dealer reprogram with the proper mileage?
Old 07-07-16, 05:17 AM
HankMoody
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by flektone
Just on start up. My main concern was if it was engine related or not. Do a search and youll find another post with several people complaining of the same thing. It appears there is an issue with the instrument cluster. Its an easy fix so im not to worried about it.

My next question is if you swap out the cluster from one off ebay how do you track the mileage? Can the dealer reprogram with the proper mileage?

So the instrument cluster is bad ?
Old 07-07-16, 05:50 AM
TaninAuto
Sponsor

Received 110 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by flektone

Hi, Tanin Auto Electronix here. We are vendors on the site and can offer some assistance. We not only fix clusters but also reprogram mileage into vehicles. Here is the link to that service:

http://www.taninautoelectronix.com/S...do_correct.htm

Let us know if you have any questions at all and if you aren't able to fix the cluster. We can always check it out and if it is not repairable, we can locate a new one for you as well.

Feel free to contact us any time.

Thanks,
www.taninautoelectronix.com

Old 07-07-16, 05:50 AM
flektone
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by HankMoody
So the instrument cluster is bad ?
I guess so. In the other post people said they have gotten them replaced under warranty. I am a little annoyed buy some of the cheap crap in this car. Stupid things like the NAV touch screen to instrument cluster issues should not happen with a Toyota/Lexus. Id expext that from a VW.
Old 07-09-16, 07:33 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

If you're not going to post a video of the noise then take it to the dealer for a quick diagnosis. The service writer can listen and tell you for no charge if it's just the steering wheel lock. If it's not, then you can go about tearing out the cluster and replacing it.
Old 07-09-16, 08:44 PM
flektone
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sktn77a
If you're not going to post a video of the noise then take it to the dealer for a quick diagnosis. The service writer can listen and tell you for no charge if it's just the steering wheel lock. If it's not, then you can go about tearing out the cluster and replacing it.
It is the cluster. I tried what another poster said and turned the car on without the engine. The sound its coming from the speedometer needles. Not a big deal. If/when it craps out ill replace it.
Old 07-10-16, 07:23 AM
HankMoody
Pit Crew

How long does the noise last ?

Quick Reply: Instrument cluster noise on start up?