IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Purchasing first Lexus need advice!

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-16, 12:46 PM
Libster
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Purchasing first Lexus need advice!

Hows it going everyone! I'm happy to say I will hopefully soon be joining the Lexus family. I'm going to look a this 08 is 350 on Saturday and wanted to see if anyone had any tips or input on what I should be on the lookout for.
The dealer listed the car for $13,995, my main concern is the damage reported on the car-fax for the second owner, and what to look out for with that kind of mileage. Basically any tips would be GREATLY appreciated from anyone. Thank you all very much for your time!

I attached the dealer photos, the carfax, and the Lexus Drivers history report.
Attached Thumbnails Purchasing first Lexus need advice!-lexus-pt1.png   Purchasing first Lexus need advice!-lexus-pt2.png   Purchasing first Lexus need advice!-lexus-pt3.png   Purchasing first Lexus need advice!-lexus-pt4.png   Purchasing first Lexus need advice!-lexus-pt5.png  

Purchasing first Lexus need advice!-lexus-pt6.png   Purchasing first Lexus need advice!-lexus-pt7.png   Purchasing first Lexus need advice!-lexus-pt8.png   Purchasing first Lexus need advice!-lexus-pt9.png   Purchasing first Lexus need advice!-lexus-pt10.png  

Purchasing first Lexus need advice!-lexus-pt11.png  
Old 06-01-16, 01:01 PM
SwedeMetal
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Personally, I would not purchase this vehicle based on the reported accident.

You do not know how severe it was or who did the repair.
Most insurance companies will not insure the vehicle.
Most loan outfits will not lend on the vehicle.
If you did buy it, and went to resell it, most people will pass on it.

This is likely noted as a SALVAGE vehicle and/or "rebuilt" title.

Lastly - it's at a dealer so you are going to get spanked on tax, title, license, doc, etc...

My advice? Try to go private party only. I personally own a 2008 IS350 with Luxury/Levinson/Rain Sense Whipers. Mica color / Sterling interior. I paid 15K cash, private party with 88,000 miles on it. LOVE the car.
Old 06-01-16, 01:16 PM
Libster
Driver School Candidate

The title will be clean im almost 100% sure of that because the current VW i own has a clean title but carfax showed it as a prior total loss. Usually for salvage title/rebuilt title the damage needs to surpass 80% of the cars worth. But i do appreciate the advice, if anything Ill use this Sat as a way to sit in an IS350 and test drive it for the first time.
Old 06-01-16, 01:28 PM
AyeBird
Pit Crew

Received 95 Likes on 28 Posts

My advice to you if you're going to purchase this IS350 with an accident history is to find a similar 350 with no accident and try to get a test drive before you go and test drive this 350 so you can compare the 2 and see if it drives like one without an accident. Then get a PPI on the car to make sure the repair was done to OEM spec. If all is good and you're happy with everything, then definitely make the purchase! Good luck and welcome to the forums!
Old 06-02-16, 01:42 PM
Icy350
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Im extremely wary about purchasing cars with previous accident records. I would have no problem purchasing a car thats had accident history or even salvage title IF i had knowledge as to what to look for. If I was a mechanic myself and could see how the repairs were done or see what was done, I would def have more confidence in my purchase. Being that I am NOT a mechanic, i wouldnt know what to look for compared to a professionals eyes so i wouldnt know how it was fixed, how serious the damage could have been Etc.

There are plenty of IS350's. No need to be impatient. If you even second guess yourself on a purchase do not commit. Its always better safe then sorry with car purchases.
Old 06-02-16, 07:29 PM
Libster
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Icy350
Im extremely wary about purchasing cars with previous accident records. I would have no problem purchasing a car thats had accident history or even salvage title IF i had knowledge as to what to look for. If I was a mechanic myself and could see how the repairs were done or see what was done, I would def have more confidence in my purchase. Being that I am NOT a mechanic, i wouldnt know what to look for compared to a professionals eyes so i wouldnt know how it was fixed, how serious the damage could have been Etc.

There are plenty of IS350's. No need to be impatient. If you even second guess yourself on a purchase do not commit. Its always better safe then sorry with car purchases.
Yea you are right, I'm going to hold off. Unfortunately there just aren't many in the NY area, and pretty much none being sold privately :/
Old 06-02-16, 08:59 PM
Parsa
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

it might be worth it to find a car online. Flying somewhere in the country to buy a new car and drive it back however many miles seems like a great idea to me. Granted the car has to be really clean and be what you want. You want to pay for only one plane ticket lol. Also, this will help you find the exact packages/options you want.

good luck
Old 06-02-16, 09:37 PM
Ling2IS
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Get a Pre-Purchase Inspection(PPI) on top of all the documents the dealer provides.
Old 06-03-16, 04:09 PM
Icy350
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Libster
Yea you are right, I'm going to hold off. Unfortunately there just aren't many in the NY area, and pretty much none being sold privately :/
I went to Missouri for my first is350. then to jersey for my second IF THERES A WILL THERES A WAY!
Old 06-03-16, 06:44 PM
SwedeMetal
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

HA! Yes, sir. I flew from AZ to CA to buy my IS350. Main issue I had was not finding the options and it seemed like every one I looked at local had BLACK INTERIOR which I did not want.

One thing is for sure, no matter how I sliced it, buying from the dealer was just a really bad idea financially. They just get nasty on the fees... You think "oh I can talk em down".. most are simply not willing to budge at all. F dealers is what I say.