IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Lexus IS 250 2008 No crank no start

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-18, 09:38 AM
unsin
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Lexus IS 250 2008 No crank no start

On a cold weather day 0℉ I went to start my car. I let it warm up for a bit 30 second, and I reserve back. As I was reversing back my car just died. Tried to start it up again, but no crank no start. Lights were on and radio was working, it was just not cranking. Had to push my car to the side to check what was going on.

Thought it was my battery because it was old. Looked like the original Lexus Battery that came with the car. Jump started the car, but no go. Replaced the battery, but still didn't work. Still no crank no start. I didn't know what to do. I checked the connection and looks okay to me.

Took my car into the Auto shop and they diagnosis it was a misfired 2 ignition coil and the Spark Plugs were getting dirty. They also reset the car's computer, which I think it is called the ECU? It had short circuit they said. Once they replaced the all Spark Plugs and 2 Ignition Coil, it was working again.

Cost for parts: $330
Cost for labor: $330
Total cost: $660

What was done:
Replaced Battery - Did it myself ($130)
Replaced All spark plugs ; Replaced 2/4 ignition coil ($660 + labor)

Last edited by unsin; 01-17-18 at 08:42 AM. Reason: Added cost; reset computer
Old 01-17-18, 06:06 AM
jr4div2
Lead Lap

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Gotta say, that's a new one. Never heard anything like that happening. Thanks for the post. It may help someone in the future.
Old 01-17-18, 07:57 AM
unsin
Driver School Candidate

Yeah no probably. Hopefully this will help someone else in the future. I was trying to Google this issue, but didn't see anything regarding the spark plugs and ignition coil.
Old 01-17-18, 08:03 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,484 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Thats dreadful... but something doesn't add up here as failed or fried coils do not prevent the starter from engaging and cranking the engine. Now it may not idle so well on 4 cylinders but it should start and run.

Was the CEL on the day prior?

One has to wonder how two coil packs short or open at the same time. This is odd. Lets say they short and the load imposed burns open a fuse. An open fuse in the ignition **could** disable the starters function....

Please consult the shop and get every detail about what work was done as they didnt tell you everything! Well IMHO....

I would want to know in case it repeats....
Old 01-17-18, 08:11 AM
unsin
Driver School Candidate

They said all the spark plug didn't work anymore. Forgot how many was miss fired. But they replaced all the spark plugs.The shop said they had check the fuse on the car and it was good. As for the CEL, did not appear on the day prior. I just had an Oil indicator to get my oil change.

I should consult the shop to get the detail of what work was done. I'll update further on that if I get a responds back.
Old 01-17-18, 08:35 AM
unsin
Driver School Candidate

So received an update from the Shop and they told me the first thing they did was plug in the car reader into the car and receive codes that misfired 2 ignition coil or spark plug. They checked the spark plug and it looked dirty, so they replaced all the spark plug and they replaced 2 ignition coil. Once they did that, the car was working again and they didn't check anything else because the car was running.
Old 01-17-18, 12:24 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Didnt you say that after it died, it would not crank the engine over so you replaced the battery? And it still did not crank the engine over (rotate engine).

Coil packs do not stop the starter from cranking/spinning the engine over. So there is a grey area of what they did to fix all of the "issues". Just sayin...
Good luck.
Old 01-17-18, 01:36 PM
Zmon
Racer

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by 2013FSport
Didnt you say that after it died, it would not crank the engine over so you replaced the battery? And it still did not crank the engine over (rotate engine).

Coil packs do not stop the starter from cranking/spinning the engine over. So there is a grey area of what they did to fix all of the "issues". Just sayin...
Good luck.
It's possible it may have detected the misfiring conditions and kicked the car into safety mode to prevent any damage to the engine once he tried to turn the car back on. That's my understanding of the "safety mode" anyways, information on it is fairly sparse and why it kicks in sometimes and other times it doesn't.
Old 01-17-18, 02:17 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Even if you disconnect all the coil packs, it still cranks over. So....
Old 01-18-18, 09:44 AM
unsin
Driver School Candidate

So what do you think it was if it was not the coil? What would cause a no start no crank in my situation?
Old 01-18-18, 01:16 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Zmon
It's possible it may have detected the misfiring conditions and kicked the car into safety mode to prevent any damage to the engine once he tried to turn the car back on. That's my understanding of the "safety mode" anyways, information on it is fairly sparse and why it kicks in sometimes and other times it doesn't.

Yoda looks at the coils for their ring back signature. Coils have a primary and secondary winding that are monitored by the ECU. The coil driver looks at the signal sent (energy and shape) and the signal the coils send back to the ECU about the secondary coils output signature.

Using these points the ecu can tell if the plug had a spark delivered with enough joules of energy to bridge the gap with a spark capable of creating combustion. This same data can tell if there was combustion in a cylinder.

Couple this with the cranks CPS and the ECU knows if the velocity of the crankshaft was increased by combustion in that cylinder (everything is OK) and you see how it knows which cylinder attributed running the engine and/or creating P030X errors.

In addition, if the ECU turns off the injector on the misfiring cylinder(s) when plug(s) are not fired over say 300 consistent crank revolutions. Tbis prevents cylinder washing from raw fuel and damage to the CAT(s). Lets not forget our EPA friends and upholding emissions standards....

JM2C but if they disabled the starter sequence due to misfires, this now becomes a liability should your car stall on say the rail road tracks and you die. Now they have a huge problem on their hands....

As for why it didn't crank when the button was pushed, I don't know and there is not enough information here to solve that.

Last edited by 2013FSport; 01-18-18 at 01:44 PM. Reason: Clarity
Old 01-18-18, 01:21 PM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Received 768 Likes on 671 Posts

I'm thinking it was just fouled plugs. With so many no start cranks. Check your coil packs to see if they are newer than the others.
Old 06-20-18, 07:11 PM
romeohash
Driver School Candidate

i had the same problem, its not the started or fuses, it was the "computer system" that runs every electric power so 3 wiring places were burned out, got it changed, Car turns on perfectly now.
Old 09-10-18, 05:59 PM
test_accou
Pit Crew

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by romeohash
i had the same problem, its not the started or fuses, it was the "computer system" that runs every electric power so 3 wiring places were burned out, got it changed, Car turns on perfectly now.
Would you tell us which wires have you change? pictures would be nice.