Two weeks still can't find the problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-16, 03:57 PM
sflaith
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Two weeks still can't find the problem

Hi,
My 2008 IS 250 has a problem, at a mere distance of 37k. One morning before I got to work I started the engine and noticed the master warning light, malfunction and slip lights are on; as well as a "check vsc" message on the screen, which lead to me to turn off the engine immediately.

After explaining the issue to a Sydney Lexus service center (distributor), I had them tow my car 3 days later. A few days later I received a call form the service center which stated that the alternator must be replaced as it is malfunctioning, and after it was replaced the car functioned normally for a short while before the gearbox begun malfunctioning.

The car has been in the Lexus service center for two weeks and they still can't find the problem
Would someone be able to do something about this issue?
Old 01-20-16, 06:59 PM
leg3ndary
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by sflaith
Hi,
My 2008 IS 250 has a problem, at a mere distance of 37k. One morning before I got to work I started the engine and noticed the master warning light, malfunction and slip lights are on; as well as a "check vsc" message on the screen, which lead to me to turn off the engine immediately.

After explaining the issue to a Sydney Lexus service center (distributor), I had them tow my car 3 days later. A few days later I received a call form the service center which stated that the alternator must be replaced as it is malfunctioning, and after it was replaced the car functioned normally for a short while before the gearbox begun malfunctioning.

The car has been in the Lexus service center for two weeks and they still can't find the problem
Have you tried checking your cam shaft sensors? They are a huge issue on Infinitis/Nissans, but your symptoms sound very similar to something I experienced with an Infiniti M35. My dashboard turned into a Christmas tree and decided to shut off while driving on the freeway. It was one of the cam shaft sensors...
Old 01-20-16, 08:01 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 275 Likes on 243 Posts

I assume your service person hooked up a scan tool and read the ECU diagnostic trouble codes. What codes were present?
Old 01-21-16, 03:04 AM
sflaith
Driver School Candidate

Not quite sure what error codes presented but tomorrow will go back to the service centre to check.
Old 01-21-16, 03:07 AM
loitranman
Driver

might be one of the sensors. had a coworker have a VSC check light turn on after the fuel pressure sensor was changed, turned out to be the same fuel pressure sensor. but it could be anything
Old 01-21-16, 01:25 PM
Gville350

Received 435 Likes on 387 Posts

Let us know what codes the dealership was able to pull and we'll start from there.
Old 01-24-16, 12:48 AM
whitebeast
Pole Position

Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

with out error code. we could not help you to address the issue
Old 01-25-16, 09:50 PM
jared7
Driver School Candidate

whenever i see VSC i think of gas caps.. however that isnt the fix alot of times. but it is worth a shot to buy a new OEM gas cap before you spend alot of money. one time all kinds of warnings popped up, and that was my culprit cuz it wasn't on tight enough.

Last edited by jared7; 01-25-16 at 10:11 PM.
Old 01-25-16, 09:58 PM
zank
Driver School Candidate

Hi,

I had something similar, check all the fuses in your cab, both passenger side and drivers idea that the correct fuses are there and none missing. For some reason one in the passenger side fuse box was missing causing the alternator not to function and was tied into all sorts of other parts of the car.
Old 01-26-16, 05:31 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 275 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by jared7
whenever i see VSC i think of gas caps.. however that isnt the fix alot of times. but it is worth a shot to buy a new OEM gas cap before you spend alot of money. one time all kinds of warnings popped up, and that was my culprit cuz it wasn't on tight enough.
I disagree. Sure, check the gas cap to make sure it is on tight because it is easy and free. But honestly, the very first thing you should do when the check engine and check VSC come on are to read the diagnostic trouble codes. AutoZone and some other parts stores will do this for free. If you don't live close to one, you can buy a very basic OBD2 scan tool (capable of reading and clearing codes) on Amazon for $20-30. It makes no sense to replace the gas cap unless the codes read indicate an evaporate emissions leak.
Old 02-01-16, 04:02 AM
sflaith
Driver School Candidate

Four errors have been detected by the Lexus dealer service centre:

- ECT transmission range sensor

ABS- Engine control malfunction

Power control source

P Signal does not match bean infro.

No code numbers have been issued. As a result, replacing the alternator resulted in the warning lights being switched off. However, another issue was discovered with the gearbox after a week of full examination. They discovered that it short circuited and the junction box touches the body of the car.

With the odometer reading only 37k, why does the alternator malfunction after such a small distance or as a result of a junction box short circuit?
Old 02-08-16, 01:20 AM
zank
Driver School Candidate

Four errors have been detected by the Lexus dealer service centre:

- ECT transmission range sensor

ABS- Engine control malfunction

Power control source

P Signal does not match bean infro.

No code numbers have been issued. As a result, replacing the alternator resulted in the warning lights being switched off. However, another issue was discovered with the gearbox after a week of full examination. They discovered that it short circuited and the junction box touches the body of the car.

With the odometer reading only 37k, why does the alternator malfunction after such a small distance or as a result of a junction box short circuit?
I got those same codes on mine and it turned out to be a blown fuse under the driver side fuse box. A single fuse that spiders throughout those systems.

Last edited by zank; 02-08-16 at 01:24 AM.