Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Will I regret Megan EZ's?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-15, 01:05 PM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Tro209
Okay so hear me out. I basically have no clue as to how exactly lowering a car works. At first I thought all I needed were springs. Then I found out its just better to get coilovers instead for their adjustability and ride comfort. However , now that ive started looking into Coilovers (specifically the Megan EZ) Im getting all sorts of mixed information thats really confusing me.

Basically im trying to lower my car enough so that I have no more tire gap, maybe not slammed exactly but just enough so that there isnt such a huge space in between the tire and the fender.

Ive read that people are saying the Megan Ez's tend to rub a lot (which I assume is bad) and that they have to be dampened all the way stiff to compensate for that, thus wearing out a lot sooner... i think. My problem is that I dont wanna have to spend more money down the line to buy more coilovers because I made the wrong decision on what to purchase. But at the same time I hear people say they love them and that they ride great?? Im super confused on what to do right now..

I dont track my car, nor do I plan to. I just want a nice clean drop, wont rub, and last me a long time. Will megan ez get the job done? Or should I just get something else?
So rubbing issue specifically is dependent on your wheel tire combo. If you have wheels/tires with a different size and offset than stock you may or may not rub. I have 18x9.5 +20 with 255's all around so I rub but its because wheel and tire are significantly larger than stock

Also if you happen to blow any shocks, you change the shock insert, not buy a whole new set which they are $65 from megan. you dont buy a whole new set of coils.

As for review on coils, i think Megan EZ are the best bang for your buck. I have done some autox with them and they hold up well. The ride can go from really soft to really stiff depending on the dampening. I prefer firm but my passengers prefer soft and i can do either or. Also since I live in NY, i am constantly adjusting ride height for the season which i just raised it for the winter season. I love them, for the price and availability, i say you cant go wrong
Old 11-23-15, 01:08 PM
JM Auto Racing
Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

As a fellow New Yorker with coilovers in with you on that lol
1-855-998-8726
Old 11-23-15, 05:22 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Just wanted to say thank you for everyone that chimed in on this question. I really appreciate all the info and advice I have recieved from all of you and have finally, after much consideration, made my purchase today on BC's. What swayed me to the BC's was the fact that in the end they are more adjustable compared to the Megans and I figured I may as well just get what I really want the first time and just spend the extra cash on these. Also theyre black which even though you cant really see them, go with the 3 main colors im using on my car (silver, black, and yellow). I figured this will be my own little early christmas present to myself lol

Thanks again everyone!!

Last edited by Tro209; 11-23-15 at 05:29 PM.
The following users liked this post:
NexusD (08-05-19)
Old 11-24-15, 02:11 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

^Good choice! Don't forget you have the option to purchase new cartridges (shocks) for your BC setups as well for only $150 (through FIGs). Not sure if Megan offers that and at what cost.
Old 11-25-15, 10:22 AM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Gville350
^Good choice! Don't forget you have the option to purchase new cartridges (shocks) for your BC setups as well for only $150 (through FIGs). Not sure if Megan offers that and at what cost.
Awesome! Thanks!
Old 11-30-15, 07:32 AM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Megan does at $65 per cartridge. I usually replace them in pairs (i have not done them yet but what ive done for previous cars ive owned with coilovers) so you are looking at $130 per end of vehicle
Old 11-30-15, 08:21 AM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by NYKnick101
Megan does at $65 per cartridge. I usually replace them in pairs (i have not done them yet but what ive done for previous cars ive owned with coilovers) so you are looking at $130 per end of vehicle
Interesting.. So I assume the BC cartridges are just more expensive because of quality then? Or does it all just depend on where someone goes to buy them?
Old 11-30-15, 08:50 PM
dorkacho
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

does that make them brand new coils then after getting the shocks replaced?
Old 12-08-15, 07:01 AM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Tro209
Interesting.. So I assume the BC cartridges are just more expensive because of quality then? Or does it all just depend on where someone goes to buy them?
The Dampening controls are a little different. BC has 30 point control as Megan has 16. Other than that you are just paying for name brand after that. What I've learned this past weekend is that most of the inserts between companies are interchangable as long as you have the same Inner/outer diameter. Smaller cars use 50mm, our cars i think uses 52mm and some of the larger sedans use 54mm. I had a one laying around from my old honda accord K-Sport Coilovers that was still good that I gave to my buddy that he used in his Pontiac G8's BC coils. It worked fine

Originally Posted by dorkacho
does that make them brand new coils then after getting the shocks replaced?
YES. So if you buy a used set for 200 bucks with a blown set of shocks... then you can buy a new set of inserts to make them good again