IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

FSport Intake on 2006 IS350, SMOG Check question/issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-15, 01:37 PM
A1cntrler
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default FSport Intake on 2006 IS350, SMOG Check question/issue

This is the first time I've had to SMOG my 2006 IS350 since we've had it (bought it used last year and it didn't get picked via the lottery last year).

Since I've had the car I put on the FSport Intake and applied the appropriate CARB sticker on the underside of the hood. I went to my usual guy I've gone to for other vehicles for the past 5 years I've lived in CA.

First, he told me that since my vehicle was modified, the state required an additional charge of $25 (had a sign on the wall stating this) and took an extra long time trying to find the CARB approved number in the system. Told me this year it passed but next year because the rules are always changing I'll need a new CARB number/sticker or to put the stock intake back on since it will not likely be approved for highway use much longer because of new restrictions.

I think this dude is full of poo and is blowing smoke on the whole state required $25 fee for legally modified vehicles (looked on the Googles and couldn't find anything) and also with needing to get a new sticker/approved CARB number. If it is approved for use on my 2006 vehicle now, why would it change in the future??

The usual guy appeared to be training some other guy. Normal guy I see is in his 50's, and the guy he was training looked to be in his 70's and was having a really hard time with the computer and with getting around. (He almost fell when his cane rolled off the dyno-roller thing as he was stepping over it) so I wonder if he was just being extra thorough for the trainee or what..
Old 11-10-15, 05:11 PM
jay350
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go to other smog station. I smog my 09 350 with f sport intake and all the guy did was input the carb sticker number into the computer and good to go. As long as u have that sticker there shouldn't be any problem
Old 11-10-15, 05:26 PM
A1cntrler
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jay350
Go to other smog station. I smog my 09 350 with f sport intake and all the guy did was input the carb sticker number into the computer and good to go. As long as u have that sticker there shouldn't be any problem
Yes, I had the sticker in the appropriate location.

Is it bogus that the sticker will not be valid next year because CARB will change the numbers?
Old 11-10-15, 05:48 PM
pheonix72
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The guy is trying to pull a fast one on you. The CARB number shouldn't change once the part got certified. I put the Fsport CARB sticker on JoeZ part and my guy didn't even blink.
You should not have any problem with Fsport parts but check with the local guys to and find a mod friendly shops so you dont have to deal with the BS.
Old 11-10-15, 08:58 PM
wasssaa805
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wtf do u need a carb for joe z intake?
Old 11-13-15, 02:17 PM
whitebeast
Pole Position

Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

I never have any problem with my F-sport Intake.
Never Smog station won't put your car on roller anymore. Try to find other Smog station near by.
Old 11-13-15, 03:00 PM
Fojo
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

jeez, is Cali REALLY that **** about everything? I mean really, an f-sport intake can make you fail a smog check, and they charge you if you modify your car?! I'm glad i live in Florida. I have seen cars driving down the road with no doors and a plastic bag for windows and headlights and nobody even blinks an eye
Old 11-13-15, 11:20 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Fojo
jeez, is Cali REALLY that **** about everything? I mean really, an f-sport intake can make you fail a smog check, and they charge you if you modify your car?! I'm glad i live in Florida. I have seen cars driving down the road with no doors and a plastic bag for windows and headlights and nobody even blinks an eye
Yes CA is extremely strict. Probably since it's one of Thr most populated states. I think that shop got over on you with the $25 fee. I haven't heard of anything changing next year when you have a carb sticker already on. Someone asked about The Joe Z with the F Sport sticker...because any aftwrmarket intake needs a CARB sticker or it fails visual inspection. Florida sounds bad with cars like that on the road!
Old 11-14-15, 07:10 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 275 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by Fojo
NJ has a smog inspection, but all they do is plug their computer into the OBD2 port and check for codes, and to make sure you didn't just reset them before coming. I know people who have gone through and passed with burned out headlights, broken horns and cracked windshields. I'm not sure about missing doors and plastic bags windows.
Old 11-14-15, 11:43 AM
Fojo
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Sffd103
Yes CA is extremely strict. Probably since it's one of Thr most populated states. I think that shop got over on you with the $25 fee. I haven't heard of anything changing next year when you have a carb sticker already on. Someone asked about The Joe Z with the F Sport sticker...because any aftwrmarket intake needs a CARB sticker or it fails visual inspection. Florida sounds bad with cars like that on the road!
there are some real POS's driving around but I'm glad i don't have to deal with inspections. since i have an aftermarket stereo with a custom dash, i lost my hazards. i wouldn't be able to pass any safety inspection at all lol
Old 11-14-15, 03:49 PM
ernestfyu
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Recently got my smog done in SoCal, I didn't even have the sticker but I told the guy F-Sport is factory. He googled it and said "okay".
Old 11-15-15, 10:28 AM
whitebeast
Pole Position

Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by ernestfyu
Recently got my smog done in SoCal, I didn't even have the sticker but I told the guy F-Sport is factory. He googled it and said "okay".
That's right. I don't event put CARB sticker on my intake and have zero problem with smog station. Like I said aerlier, find different station