IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Just got 06 IS350 an hour ago and Audio is dead

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-15, 04:28 PM
Stunned
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just got 06 IS350 an hour ago and Audio is dead

Ok, I looked at an 06 IS350 a few weeks back and the touchscreen was dead they said they would fix it. I got the car today and checked the stuff out everything worked. Took the car for a drive after they left and was using the AUX cord for audio and noticed that there was a popping/cracking in the audio. Turned the audio all the way down and there was a really bad noises still coming from the speakers. Got back from the store and the audio is completely dead. speaker make a popping noise on first start but no audio after that. Sounds like the AMP might be dead. or maybe a wire came disconnected when they did the touchscreen. Any Ideas? Also I looked at the amp in the back and the previous owner had spliced and tapped wires for an amp/sub.

Old 09-11-15, 04:37 PM
Nelly
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I want to say the amp is fried eggs.
Old 09-11-15, 04:38 PM
Stunned
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by InspireME
I want to say the amp is fried eggs.
Ya, that's my gut feeling also.
Old 09-11-15, 05:20 PM
A1cntrler
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow what a mess there by the amp. Those twist connectors aren't really intended for automotive use with the bouncing around that happens. Should be soldered or at a minimum butt connectors used. Also not too keen on the use of the solid colored wire for every connection there. Hard to trace what is what..

When you say they fixed it, do you mean a dealer? If so take it back. If it was a dude on Craigslist, sorry OP. Looks expensive.

Also if any of the two terminals on that battery should be protected, it is the one that is bare there. If something bridges from the negative to the body, no big deal. If you drop a wrench or something across that positive terminal and it touches anything, expect to see fireworks and check and hope you only pop a fuse or two and not the computer...
Old 09-11-15, 05:23 PM
Stunned
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by A1cntrler
Wow what a mess there by the amp. Those twist connectors aren't really intended for automotive use with the bouncing around that happens. Should be soldered or at a minimum butt connectors used. Also not too keen on the use of the solid colored wire for every connection there. Hard to trace what is what..

When you say they fixed it, do you mean a dealer? If so take it back. If it was a dude on Craigslist, sorry OP. Looks expensive.
Ya, when I seen the wires on the amp I could tell it looked like a mess. I don't mind fixing stuff but it does look pretty crazy. I bought i from an independent dealer. I already messaged them and he said he would look into it. All I know is i'm not paying for this mess. considering I had the car for literally 20 minutes before the audio died.
Old 09-11-15, 05:26 PM
A1cntrler
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Stunned
Ya, when I seen the wires on the amp I could tell it looked like a mess. I don't mind fixing stuff but it does look pretty crazy. I bought i from an independent dealer. I already messaged them and he said he would look into it. All I know is i'm not paying for this mess. considering I had the car for literally 20 minutes before the audio died.

Also one other thing I just noticed: If you're in a state with safety inspections, not sure if that zip tie for the battery hold down will pass. I know when I was in Virginia that was one of the things they would check to see that it's secure. If you get in an accident that's a huge chunk of weight just flopping about.
Old 09-11-15, 05:37 PM
Stunned
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by A1cntrler
Also one other thing I just noticed: If you're in a state with safety inspections, not sure if that zip tie for the battery hold down will pass. I know when I was in Virginia that was one of the things they would check to see that it's secure. If you get in an accident that's a huge chunk of weight just flopping about.
Ya, I noticed that before, thanks for letting me know. Ya there are a few things I have noticed that I can do myself, but the audio mess is my biggest concern.
Old 09-12-15, 10:33 PM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

Looks like a headache..
Old 09-13-15, 04:48 PM
Stunned
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by smokyis350
Looks like a headache..
Ya, ur telling me. Ya I looked at the wiring and it doesnt look like it will be to hard to fix the wiring in the back. My biggest concern is the AMP being dead and having to spend close to $300 for a used AMP. I will be talking to the place tomorrow to see if they are willing to do anything. Just my luck I guess.
Old 09-14-15, 01:38 PM
JDMToyotas
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Stunned
Ok, I looked at an 06 IS350 a few weeks back and the touchscreen was dead they said they would fix it. I got the car today and checked the stuff out everything worked. Took the car for a drive after they left and was using the AUX cord for audio and noticed that there was a popping/cracking in the audio. Turned the audio all the way down and there was a really bad noises still coming from the speakers. Got back from the store and the audio is completely dead. speaker make a popping noise on first start but no audio after that. Sounds like the AMP might be dead. or maybe a wire came disconnected when they did the touchscreen. Any Ideas? Also I looked at the amp in the back and the previous owner had spliced and tapped wires for an amp/sub.

FINALLY someone with the same audio issue as me. I made a post about this issue a few weeks ago. There's no audio sound only thing u hear is a popping and cracking sound thru the speakers. Even when the car is off the popping and cracking sound is still being played thru the speakers. I Plugged the amp out the sound goes away. So far it's been a few weeks now and it hasn't happened again. Not sure what's going on and my audio wires are stock unlike yours and we are still having the same issue.