IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Ebay ISF Replica Bumper - Paint or Vinyl?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-15, 03:31 PM
brauski
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ebay ISF Replica Bumper - Paint or Vinyl?

So I'm in a bit of a situation here. Bought the bumper used from a member who had it wrapped. Went to a trusted shop to get it painted and put on the other day, and I got an interesting reaction.

They said it would cost $600 to paint, and that they didn't even want to paint it because they wouldn't guarantee that it wouldn't peel or be ****ed up later based on the chemicals used to wrap it the first time. They directed me to a local wrapping company, and said if they were me they'd just wrap it.

My car is SGM. I can't really imagine how any vinyl could look like clean SGM paint in the sunlight.

Anybody have any experience that could chime in? Especially in the area of painting previously wrapped non-oem plastics? Thanks so much!
Old 08-29-15, 05:23 PM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

Received 91 Likes on 38 Posts

Sounds like the body shop is just blowing smoke up ur chimney bc they don't want to do the work. I would check with another shop or take the wrap off yourself then take it to a shop for paint. Wrap or no wrap they're gonna have to prep it the same way for paint. And I highly doubt there's a wrap that's gonna be on point with SGM.
Old 08-29-15, 05:44 PM
SebaPR
Driver

wtf are they talking about? why cant they just unwrap, sand, prime and paint? doesn't matter if it pulls off the entire paint, take it to another shop.
Old 08-30-15, 11:34 AM
brauski
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RDIS250AWD
Sounds like the body shop is just blowing smoke up ur chimney bc they don't want to do the work. I would check with another shop or take the wrap off yourself then take it to a shop for paint. Wrap or no wrap they're gonna have to prep it the same way for paint. And I highly doubt there's a wrap that's gonna be on point with SGM.
Originally Posted by SebaPR
wtf are they talking about? why cant they just unwrap, sand, prime and paint? doesn't matter if it pulls off the entire paint, take it to another shop.
I guess I wasn't clear. The previous owner wrapped it, but removed it before selling it. They were worried about the prep required after it being wrapped previously. So this addition makes their claim even more bull****, huh? I guess I'll ask around and see what other shops think. Thanks.
Old 08-30-15, 05:24 PM
Keo
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by brauski
I guess I wasn't clear. The previous owner wrapped it, but removed it before selling it. They were worried about the prep required after it being wrapped previously. So this addition makes their claim even more bull****, huh? I guess I'll ask around and see what other shops think. Thanks.
so your saying the previous owner removed the vinyl already. then there should be the real paint of the oem on. If there is still adhesive( sticky residue from vinyl side tape ) left on the bumper. All you need is a good 3M adhesive remover spray. Let it sit after spray and wipe off with microfiber towel. apply as much as you can to remove it.

I took off a roof top full vinyl before and the owner had it on for over 3+ years. we peeled it off and the adhesive remover did the job right. The oem paint is still in top condition after removal. So the shop shouldn't be complaining about a previous vinyl wrap bumper, when its already remove.
Old 08-30-15, 05:54 PM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

Why don't you do all the prep work for the body shop to keep labor cost down? I usually sand down my own lip and the shop just paints it.
Old 08-30-15, 06:12 PM
brauski
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Keo
so your saying the previous owner removed the vinyl already. then there should be the real paint of the oem on. If there is still adhesive( sticky residue from vinyl side tape ) left on the bumper. All you need is a good 3M adhesive remover spray. Let it sit after spray and wipe off with microfiber towel. apply as much as you can to remove it.

I took off a roof top full vinyl before and the owner had it on for over 3+ years. we peeled it off and the adhesive remover did the job right. The oem paint is still in top condition after removal. So the shop shouldn't be complaining about a previous vinyl wrap bumper, when its already remove.
There was no OEM paint, its an aftermarket bumper. Just the plastic. And I'll definitely look into that, thanks.

Originally Posted by smokyis350
Why don't you do all the prep work for the body shop to keep labor cost down? I usually sand down my own lip and the shop just paints it.
Good call. The shop had me thinking it would be insanely difficult. I'll do some youtubing and see if I can't figure it out.
Old 08-30-15, 07:39 PM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just bought it to a local body shop and they charged me $125 for painting it. I just dropped it off for them and I did all the installation work my self
Old 08-30-15, 08:01 PM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by NYKnick101
I just bought it to a local body shop and they charged me $125 for painting it. I just dropped it off for them and I did all the installation work my self
Hope it was properly prepped. Kinda sounds like a deal too good to be true. On average prep and paint for a front bumper is $300-$400
Old 08-30-15, 09:32 PM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RDIS250AWD
Hope it was properly prepped. Kinda sounds like a deal too good to be true. On average prep and paint for a front bumper is $300-$400
Man $300-400? Here in San Francisco it is like $700. (Got front bumper repainted last year)
Old 08-30-15, 09:48 PM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by smokyis350
Man $300-400? Here in San Francisco it is like $700. (Got front bumper repainted last year)
A legit paint job here for an entire car starts at about 4-5k