IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

is 250 manual tranny

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-15, 01:08 PM
SebaPR
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is 250 manual tranny

my new m/t is250 06 75kmiles is at the mechanic and will be getting long due 60k service (water pump/ serpentine, spark plugs etc).
plus the rear tranny seal appeared to be leaking and will be replaced also tranny and diff oil will be replaced with this it was due anyway at 60k.

I know all the probs with noisy tranny i dont give a fudge as long as it works the exhaust noise / subwoofer will cover that up.

but would like suggestions from experienced owners on the following:

it seems like maybe the rattling noise when disengaging the clutch in 1st/R or when not perfectly rev matched could be reduced(not eliminated) with a new tranny mount maybe its worn in my case? When i start off smoothly or rev watch well i don't get almost any marble/rattle sound at all

also a little lack of smoothness when going into 1 gear but i think this is because of old oil maybe low oil lvl because of light leak (don't know how long its been leaking).

also often when going into 3rd gear i feel like something hits the lever, i can shift and all but as im going in it feels sometimes like something hit the lever once then its gone, could this be syncros going bad?
the shifter **** was quite worn could this mean maybe prev owner was hard on the stick maybe too hard and damaged syncros?

thanks everyone!

Last edited by SebaPR; 09-06-15 at 10:15 PM.
Old 08-29-15, 12:04 PM
jgarrido
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

New tranny wow!
Old 08-29-15, 12:52 PM
SebaPR
Driver

Originally Posted by jgarrido
New tranny wow!
huh?
Old 09-19-15, 12:59 PM
SebaPR
Driver

no one answered so just went with my general knowledge.

Mechanic replaced fluid on both tranny and diff with appropriate rated synthetic mobil1 he also checked tranny mount and it was ok so noise when clutch is starting to friction from a start is just normal old noisy sprung flywheel.
Significant improvement in smoothness when going into gears specially first gear and 1-2nd which is a common problem. Only occasional clunk noise when going into gears which is normal for this tranny.

No grinds what so ever take note on mobil1 synthetic gear oil for significant smoothness.

The different weird single vibration/knock/strike when going into third gear almost completely disappeared is more a light tap now barely noticeable . Ordered a 1.2lb stainless steel shift **** since mine is all worn and cracked hopefully the heavy shift **** will eradicated the little weird vibrations left and further improve selection smoothness since i wont have to push or pull the lever into gear rather guide it.

Overall feels great only minor occasional apparently by design noises that are nearly inaudible with a/c on. Also this is my first manual car I've owned only had it for almost a month (although I've occasionally driven manuals before my is) still learning so i will adapt to this gearbox probably even better than people who are used to "normal" manuals.

Only one thing the selector feels like the main source of constant clunks noise not the gear box but just selecting gears is noisy. Anyone know if there is something i might need to adjust or a bushing or something similar that needs replacing in the selector arm mechanism or maybe grease?

Thanks! *hopes for replies this time*

Last edited by SebaPR; 09-19-15 at 01:27 PM.
Old 09-19-15, 06:26 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Boriqua? Is that the tropical place? I didn't have any of what you speak of or I didn't notice. The only thing I can suggest that would help would be an F Sport short shifter. It made the throws shorter and a bit better.
Old 09-20-15, 02:21 PM
SebaPR
Driver

Originally Posted by Sffd103
Boriqua? Is that the tropical place? I didn't have any of what you speak of or I didn't notice. The only thing I can suggest that would help would be an F Sport short shifter. It made the throws shorter and a bit better.
yes lol Puerto Rico. My is250m/t is probably 1/10m/ts here, mine is the third I've ever seen. its only noisy when pulling the shifter out of a gear like a loud clunk/tap against metal would like to figure that out but oh well its driving great now
Old 09-22-15, 04:24 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

+1 for F Sport quick shifter
Old 09-22-15, 06:00 PM
thechosun
Driver

I have the 6m/t and replaced my clutch with a LUK clutch and alot of my issues went away. I used to have alot of rattle when engaging.

The engage point is still on the high side, maybe that can be fixed easily, i dunno, ive gotten used to the extra tiny engagement zone.
Old 09-23-15, 03:34 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by thechosun
I have the 6m/t and replaced my clutch with a LUK clutch and alot of my issues went away. I used to have alot of rattle when engaging.

The engage point is still on the high side, maybe that can be fixed easily, i dunno, ive gotten used to the extra tiny engagement zone.
did u change the flywheel/disk/pressure plate?
Old 10-09-15, 11:42 AM
SebaPR
Driver

Originally Posted by thechosun

did you replace the flywheel? i recently broke my pressure plate i think and i want to replace the flywheel with the fidanza cus the heavy stock one sure makes for a crap daily drive if you dont highway your car and also bad acceleration and rev matching.
Old 10-09-15, 01:24 PM
jdcruz
Driver School Candidate

when i got my clutch changed out all my mechanic did was scuff up the flywheel cuz he couldn't resurface it. I still have a bad whirring noise when letting of the clutch either when changing to a higher gear or lower gear at high RPMs.

I've been looking at the fidanza flywheel and it will make more noise but theres a risk that it would over work the transmission as well. This car is meant as a luxury car and we have the same problem the 350z have with a dual mass flywheel. The Z flywheel can be changed to a lighter flywheel but again the trasmission tends to suffer more.
Old 10-09-15, 05:13 PM
SebaPR
Driver

Originally Posted by jdcruz
when i got my clutch changed out all my mechanic did was scuff up the flywheel cuz he couldn't resurface it. I still have a bad whirring noise when letting of the clutch either when changing to a higher gear or lower gear at high RPMs.

I've been looking at the fidanza flywheel and it will make more noise but theres a risk that it would over work the transmission as well. This car is meant as a luxury car and we have the same problem the 350z have with a dual mass flywheel. The Z flywheel can be changed to a lighter flywheel but again the trasmission tends to suffer more.
wont the transmission suffer less jolts/thrusts from better rev matches of a lighter flywheel? The current heavy flywheel i think puts more stress on the components since it has more momentum and thus more energy transfer when suddenly stopped against the clutch no?
Old 10-12-15, 01:07 AM
jdcruz
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SebaPR
wont the transmission suffer less jolts/thrusts from better rev matches of a lighter flywheel? The current heavy flywheel i think puts more stress on the components since it has more momentum and thus more energy transfer when suddenly stopped against the clutch no?
One of the reasons it jolts so much is because of the unsprung clutch it comes stock with. If anything it may make it jolt more because it's unbalanced.

Like I said before, these transmissions aren't meant for racing. They're luxury cars. They're meant for comfort. Unfortunately let's screwed up on the choice of transmission and the parts joined with it. Same reason they haven't come out with any more new Lexus that are manual.