IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

New IS owner with some questions about the car, and the forum

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-15, 06:49 PM
KAAL
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New IS owner with some questions about the car, and the forum

Hello everyone I recently purchased my first IS about a month ago, and I really love the car. However I want to modify the car a little bit but since it's my first IS and first daily project car, I don't really know where to start.

I'll start with pics and move on.
http://m.imgur.com/a/Md4fJ
http://m.imgur.com/a/7PBpV

Okay so first thing, tires. My car came with some Michelin pilot sport AS/3s, and even though they're about 60% good, my first impression of this tire is terrible. I can't feel when it's starting to slip, and it's limits are extremely low. It'll drift at about 30 in first. As I'm getting accustomed to the car I'm starting to push it a little bit more. I took a round 90° corner in 2nd and the car understeered a bit and pretty much went into snap oversteer.

I'm taking it slow since the limits are fairly low but honestly these tires don't give me any confidence at all. In fact my old ES300 cornered like a monster compared to the car, and 2ES's are boats. The thing is I saw that these tires are rated extremely well. What's the deal?

2nd: wheels.

I want to put the same if not similar sized wheels on it but I don't know where to look or start. I want some blue split spokes with some dish, think BBS.

Last: community!

I'm in Abilene, and was wondering if there are any CL meets in North/west Texas.

Please help me out, I would love to be a part of the community!
Old 07-18-15, 07:22 PM
VTsuckah
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I've got the same tires on my 350. They are actually one of the better all season tires in terms of performance. How many miles do you have on the car? Worn out suspension components could lead to poor handling such as bad bushings, ball joints, blown shocks, etc. Alignment could also be a factor. If you're not going to lower the car, at least buy a set of fsport sway bars. Handling is night and day.

Take a look at the vendor market place section of the forum. Several vendors have decent prices on well known wheel brands such work, bbs, ssr, etc.

Lastly, I believe Texas actually has a decent Lexus scene. Check out the local chapter section.
Old 07-18-15, 07:51 PM
KAAL
Driver School Candidate

It's got about 86,000 miles on it.

I was considering lowering it, but it's my first time having a car this low, and I'm already scraping up the bottom of the front bumper. Maybe in the future, but coilovers are definitely out of the question.

Are there any good websites to look on for parts?

Thank you, I'll look into that.

As for the suspension, I can say they aren't, I had the entire car checked out about a month ago. But I do accelerate while in the turn, but not much. It is my first RWD, but still I imagine it should be more stable.

Last edited by KAAL; 07-18-15 at 07:57 PM.
Old 07-19-15, 11:07 PM
Den350
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have same rubber on my stock 18s and can't say anything negative about them. .my 350 is on BC coils however but still remember them before I dropped it and seemed great....hmmmm..not sure bud. Change to Conti DW extreme for summer rubber on 19s now. Only had about 10k on the As3 though. As far as the forum is concerned, notice a lot of people view threads but not many reply..good luck and welcome.
Old 07-20-15, 07:22 AM
jonboy10
Driver School Candidate

The Pilot AS/3's are a fantastic tire, although they are not a summer tire. If you previously ran a Max Performance Summer tire, then moving to these will definitely be a difference.

I would check your alignment first. Learning the current alignment specs can quickly show you where a problem might be.

I'm too new to comment on the wheels, and I'm in Georgia so cant comment there either!
Old 07-20-15, 10:12 AM
KAAL
Driver School Candidate

Well I'm considering buying another set and keeping them as a light snow tire on the stock wheels, with summer rubber on the new ones. I suppose I can get the alignment checked out, and move on from there. Maybe I just got some worn out tires with a lot of tread.

Thank you guys for the input.

I know someone already gave an answer on the forum, but I'm curious to know of specific performance part websites for the 2IS. ( suspension, exhaust, etc.) Thanks!
Old 07-21-15, 02:42 PM
VMRWheels
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome and congrats!

Looks like the all-season variety of tires is not doing it for you. I'd suggest, like others above, looking into a summer performance tires for a bit more "stick." Many of our customers have been happy with :

Hankook Ventus V12 EVO2
Continental ExtremeContact DW
Bridgestone Potenza S04 Pole Position
Michelin Pilot Super Sport

For wheels, typical "plug-n-play" fitment is something in the area of

(F) 8.5 ET35 + 235
(R) 9.5 ET45 + 265

This is what most of our customers have gone with on the 2IS. It sits fairly flush to the fender, however, not so much as to cause any rubbing issues on stock and mildly lowered suspensions. Of course, you can go more aggressive though may require some modification.

Feel free to access the links below for some of what VMR Wheels has to offer. You can, also, always check the vendor section for other brands, dealers, etc. Happy modding!

VMRWheels.com
Flickr.com/VMRWheels