RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

thoughts on purchasing a used rc-f

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-16, 04:26 PM
shadow1118
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
Default thoughts on purchasing a used rc-f

currently have an rc200t f sport and i came into a little bit of money and am considering trading it in and buying a used rc-f. the thing is though I've heard you should always buy a sports car new because people could drive it off the lot treat it bad etc etc. is it worth the jump for me.... i bought my 200t brand new 1st owner, but rc-f sounds nice too.

Last edited by shadow1118; 05-03-18 at 10:43 PM.
Old 12-14-16, 05:35 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

Bank the cash for bigger and better things, like a house. You already have a new nice car many wish they had. Don't fall in the typical American mentality and spend every penny while go into debt

my .02
The following 3 users liked this post by ssmoked:
3ISRC (08-27-21), jkonquer (12-17-16), yungicon (08-23-21)
Old 12-14-16, 06:06 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

gently used rc-f is a good idea. you'll love it more than that rc200t, thats for sure.
Old 12-14-16, 06:24 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ISFPOWER
"gently"

Hahahaha... how can one conclude a gently used 467hp sports car unless they sat through every mile... there goes the used sports car debate again
Old 12-14-16, 06:32 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ssmoked
Hahahaha... how can one conclude a gently used 467hp sports car unless they sat through every mile... there goes the used sports car debate again
that's the beauty of buying a used lexus. you're not going to find any rc-f breaking down any time soon. these cars are meant to be driven hard. yet, i rarely drive hard at all.

I've had friends who bought used GTRs with launch control never been engaged once from what computer says.
Old 12-14-16, 07:19 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

that's the beauty of buying a used lexus. you're not going to find any rc-f breaking down any time soon. these cars are meant to be driven hard. yet, i rarely drive hard at all.

I've had friends who bought used GTRs with launch control never been engaged once from what computer says.
Very true. I redline my RCF multiple times daily and it drives like when it first pulled off the lot

maybe im just going off what i see in the German high performance cars and how much issues they have
The following users liked this post:
Infrared (12-16-16)
Old 12-14-16, 10:24 PM
Davew77
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

The short answer is; if you have to ask then you should probably not buy used cars.

I will never buy a new car again, unless I win the lottery. I buy them with less than 10k miles on them. I will put 10k miles on a car in 3-4 months anyway. I've put 16k miles on my RCF in the last 6 months. I'm glad that I saved myself $15k. I've nearly dropped that much in mods already...
The following users liked this post:
3ISRC (08-27-21)
Old 12-14-16, 11:34 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

X2 👍👍👍👍

The trick is to buy it lower than the going market price Lexus L Certified from a Lexus dealer where the warranty is UNLIMITED MILES FOR THE DURATION OF THE WARRANTY! !!

The end of the year is an excellent time to buy new or used. Especially at some of the large volume dealers. ESPECIALLY if you are WILLING AND ABLE! !! Remember, not every day that an EXCELLENT customer like you show up WILLING AND ABLE AND READY NOW TO BUY TODAY.

I bought my RCF Oct 2015 L Certified, but before the UNLIMITED MILEAGE was instituted Jan 1, 2016. Oh well, still good for me .

Originally Posted by Davew77
The short answer is; if you have to ask then you should probably not buy used cars.

I will never buy a new car again, unless I win the lottery. I buy them with less than 10k miles on them. I will put 10k miles on a car in 3-4 months anyway. I've put 16k miles on my RCF in the last 6 months. I'm glad that I saved myself $15k. I've nearly dropped that much in mods already...
Old 12-15-16, 08:18 AM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lexusrus
X2 👍👍👍👍

The trick is to buy it lower than the going market price Lexus L Certified from a Lexus dealer where the warranty is UNLIMITED MILES FOR THE DURATION OF THE WARRANTY! !!

The end of the year is an excellent time to buy new or used. Especially at some of the large volume dealers. ESPECIALLY if you are WILLING AND ABLE! !! Remember, not every day that an EXCELLENT customer like you show up WILLING AND ABLE AND READY NOW TO BUY TODAY.

I bought my RCF Oct 2015 L Certified, but before the UNLIMITED MILEAGE was instituted Jan 1, 2016. Oh well, still good for me .
it all depends on how it's negotiated. Personally I prefer new, but will not pay premium for it. There is a lot more room to run with a left over especially the dealer is desperate to unload units. My 2015 sticker was around 73k. Paid 59k plus ttl this feb with 30 miles on the odo. I know some owner paid more than that for a cpo with 10k miles
Old 12-15-16, 08:24 AM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

it all depends on how it's negotiated. Personally I prefer new, but will not pay premium for it. There is a lot more room to run with a left over especially the dealer is desperate to unload units. My 2015 sticker was around 73k. Paid 59k plus ttl this feb with 30 miles on the odo. I know some owner paid more than that for a cpo with 10k miles

+1. this is what i did. just buy left over model before the new year hits. only thing thats hard about this is you might not find the color, trim, and extra packages you want. I was lucky enough to get everything i want including color.
Old 12-15-16, 08:46 AM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

+1. this is what i did. just buy left over model before the new year hits. only thing thats hard about this is you might not find the color, trim, and extra packages you want. I was lucky enough to get everything i want including color.
yup. Me too. Too much inventory to choose from
Old 12-15-16, 08:58 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

It all depends if one is at the right place at the right time.

For 2016, Lexus HQ had learned from their 2015 mistake and had cut back on production of RCF. Actually pricing on RCF, new and used had stabilized.

For me, it was a good deal when I got mine aND still a good deAL today. Our RCF are undervalued for sure.

Old 12-15-16, 09:22 AM
LDEUX
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd stack my liquid cash honestly, BUT if you really want an RC-F buy it used. Like less than 10K miles, they're out there for 52k-55k. The RC-F doesn't "come alive" until 5K miles IMO anyway.
Old 12-15-16, 09:38 AM
ba2sy
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

If new, usually this last quarter is the best time to get brand new 2015 (if still there) or 2016 with way lower price ootd. If used, less than 10k miles or around the 10k mile service. No signs of any mod is even better if you can get a hold of the current owner through private party. If it's already at the dealer, it's hard to tell. Maybe the most is a catback exhaust previously without Headers upgrade. They are usually driven hard. So far, if I was in your position, there's only one RCF that I would buy that is moderately driven hard and it's Rmsimmonsjr White RCF. I was able to drive his car and damn it has a quick and strong response. It seems like the ecu was trained well from resetting the CEL manually (removing/re-inserting the fuses) (mpg is close to 10+/-) + headers + light wheels + light brake rotors helps.
Old 12-15-16, 09:47 AM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lexusrus
It all depends if one is at the right place at the right time.

For 2016, Lexus HQ had learned from their 2015 mistake and had cut back on production of RCF. Actually pricing on RCF, new and used had stabilized.

For me, it was a good deal when I got mine aND still a good deAL today. Our RCF are undervalued for sure.
when I shopped for mine I actually looked online and called dealers in northern states. Obviously they weren't selling when its snowing there, so a little desperation. They offered to ship it to me for free and bring back my tradein. Only thing that held me back was the low trade value and complication of reciprocal state tax, which a trip to DMV will solve that I later learned

Quick Reply: thoughts on purchasing a used rc-f