IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Cracked windshield

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-15, 12:35 PM
Mokey
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cracked windshield

Hey guys, I have a long crack on my windshield and need to replace it. Would like to have it replaced with a OEM Lexus one but the new windshields are waaay too expensive and I'm not sure if any glass replace shop has used Lexus ones. Been wanting to go back to a Lexus windshield after having a PPG one installed by Safelite and noticed there is a bit of distortion at the top and sides and no tint. Any recommendations of replace shops like Gerber or using Safelite again?
Old 07-15-15, 12:42 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Sewell still offers new windshields (with the CL discount) for < $1k. But IDK about shipping a windshield though. Perhaps a local dealership can match their pricing for you?
Old 07-15-15, 08:51 PM
zzzIs3
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here on Florida, if you have full coverage insurance they will replace your windshield for "free". My 07 still has the original Lexus glass in it. When it's time to get a new one I would definetly want an OEM glass instead of a fairly cheap PPG one. I have a hard time seeing my insurance paying that much for a new glass though, but I'm sure if I pressed the issue hard enough I could get my way. lol
Old 07-16-15, 09:46 AM
knguyenk
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by zzzIs3
Here on Florida, if you have full coverage insurance they will replace your windshield for "free". My 07 still has the original Lexus glass in it. When it's time to get a new one I would definetly want an OEM glass instead of a fairly cheap PPG one. I have a hard time seeing my insurance paying that much for a new glass though, but I'm sure if I pressed the issue hard enough I could get my way. lol
Yeah, a glass place that my local Lexus dealer delegates their windshield work to told me that I would have to pay out of pocket for the Lexus glass (insurance would cover so much and then I would have to fork the difference). So I got a Pilkington and it's been pretty good to me so far with no issues of warping.
Old 07-16-15, 11:00 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,831 Likes on 1,293 Posts

Look at this thread, my post on the last page:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...dshield-3.html

Originally Posted by flowrider
I just replaced the windshield on my F. My insurance company was not going to do OEM because of the age of my car, a 2008. But after a day of negotiating and with the help of my agent, I got the OEM stuff, but with a twist. I have built a relationship with the parts manager at my dealer, I actually started the relationship before he became the parts manager. I have found over my long life time, that building these kinds of relationships with businesses and folks who you deal with makes life a lot easier. But, who you choose to build that relationship with is very important.

Anyway, I could get the windshield at a discounted price, cheaper than State Farm could. So they agreed to pay me the out of pocket costs for the windshield, if I bought it directly, and they would pay the installer directly for the installation. The only issue was, since the installer was not doing the install, they would not take responsibility for moving the glass. So, I had to have it installed in the dealer's parking lot. Not really a big deal. So, persistence here and an understanding agent along with knowing the parts manager all paid off in getting me the OEM windshield I wanted.

Now, as regards to Pilkington, I noticed some of the OEM windshields on the dealer's lot were marked Lexus, Pilkington and I asked the installer about this. He told me that Pilkington has two plants, one for OEM glass and one for aftermarket. He told me that they are not the same, but they are good quality for aftermarket stuff. The best glass is OEM. He seemed to know what he was talking about, but, who knows.

My glass is not Pilkington but was marked exactly like the glass they removed.
Lou