IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

06 IS350 Navigation Trim Panel Lights Out

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-14, 02:28 AM
Buya02
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 06 IS350 Navigation Trim Panel Lights Out

Hey fellas, so the other day I drove my car after 3 weeks of it sitting and the right side of my navigation trim lights went out. I believe 3 or 4 buttons no longer light up. Any else have this issue? I know how to access the panel because I did the navigation touch screen fix, however I am not familiar with how to fix the bulb or how to pinpoint the issue. In honda/toyota there used to be a $1 bulb you could swap out, however I am not sure what to do with my Lexus. Any help would be appreciated thank you.
Old 10-14-14, 08:09 AM
pmanliu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi Buya,

The right side bulbs that are out are all on the same PCB. What is happening is that you most likely have one LED out causing the rest to also be out.

I would remove the PCB, and then assemble a battery tester to figure out which LED is broken. Afterwards you'll need to solder in a replacement LED. Not sure if you can get the same OEM green online, so it might be worthwhile replacing all the LEDs with a color of your choice.

Best of luck!
Old 10-14-14, 12:05 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

I assume those buttons with no illumination still work?
Old 10-15-14, 02:51 AM
Buya02
Rookie

Default makes sense

Originally Posted by pmanliu
Hi Buya,

The right side bulbs that are out are all on the same PCB. What is happening is that you most likely have one LED out causing the rest to also be out.

I would remove the PCB, and then assemble a battery tester to figure out which LED is broken. Afterwards you'll need to solder in a replacement LED. Not sure if you can get the same OEM green online, so it might be worthwhile replacing all the LEDs with a color of your choice.

Best of luck!

Ya that is what I was thinking.....so here are some dumb questions for you.
1. What is a PCB?
2. Once I get a battery tester, what do I do with it? Touch both ends of the bulb see if it lights up or something?
3. Who sells replacement LED? I would love to change them all out to blue, but that is too much work for me. I saw someone does it for $400, but I honestly don't think it is worth it. Do you think lexus sells the replacement LED bulbs by any chance or the whole unit?

Thank you for your patience and help.
Old 10-15-14, 02:56 AM
Buya02
Rookie

Default Function

Originally Posted by Gville350
I assume those buttons with no illumination still work?
Yes sir, they all work, however the light is just out. I just hit 100k and pride myself on taking care of small annoying issues because that way they dont all add up and make your car feel old and messed up.

I fixed my navi, detail every 6 months, wash by hand, hand wax once a month, added a gfx kit, 19" isf wheels, painted calipers, fixed my cloudy headlights, HID headlights/fogs, LED interior lights, red outs, etc etc. The car looks and feels newer than it is, however these lights going out have been driving me crazy + my ML sub is blown so I am working on fixing that as well. I don't plan on selling the vehicle so it is important I keep up with these minor issues.
Old 10-15-14, 06:18 AM
zany
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was able to find this link: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...swap-leds.html

It lists out the blubs that are used as well as what would be involved to resolder the leds. I don't think lexus sells these leds and you would have to source them elsewhere (someone can correct me if i am wrong)
Old 10-15-14, 01:52 PM
getafewliv
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Buya02
Ya that is what I was thinking.....so here are some dumb questions for you.
1. What is a PCB?
2. Once I get a battery tester, what do I do with it? Touch both ends of the bulb see if it lights up or something?
3. Who sells replacement LED? I would love to change them all out to blue, but that is too much work for me. I saw someone does it for $400, but I honestly don't think it is worth it. Do you think lexus sells the replacement LED bulbs by any chance or the whole unit?

Thank you for your patience and help.
A PCB is a printed circuit board. Your best bet is to find a friend who is really into electronics and can fix it for you. I can almost guarantee that if you have no experience with electronics and soldering, you will make it worse.

Lexus will most likely only sell you the whole navigation unit, which won't be cheap.
Old 10-15-14, 03:42 PM
chi123
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Did you connect the ribbon cables back properly and not loose? I don't know what needs to be done for the screen fix but I swapped out my dash LEDs and it's easy to not fully push them in all the way, maybe they came loose? I also doubt one LEDs causes the whole board to not light up. My friend's IS has a burnt out bulb but the button was just dimmer since there's 3 LEDs behind each button, all else worked. Lol, perfect time to swap out the LEDs like I did. And no, Lexus will not sell you replacement "bulbs" or will they repair your unit, only option they'll offer is to replace it with a new unit.