IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Rear brakes squeaking

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-14, 12:18 AM
Lex_Giorgio
Instructor

Received 110 Likes on 92 Posts
Default Rear brakes squeaking

I changed my rear disc and rear pads last month, I didn't go with OEM parts, but OEM equivalent.

However the brakes squeak every now and then, it's an annoying sound. I noticed this on Sewell's site:
http://is.sewellparts.com/accessorie...2010/1905.html
and
http://is.sewellparts.com/accessorie...2010/1948.html

I'm wondering if I could install these in the upcoming days - since mine were never changed - hoping that would solve the issue or do I have to put another set of new pads with it as well?

Thanks in advance!
Old 07-04-14, 01:07 AM
getafewliv
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Not sure if there is an significant difference with the rears, but my fronts squeaked when I bought the car about 4 months ago. Not sure what brand, but pretty sure they are not OEM (no dust at all and didn't look OEM). However they were pretty much brand new. I had tried putting anti squeal grease on and it helped for a short while, but didn't completely fix the issue.

I ended up getting the front anti squeal shims from a local Canadian Lexus dealer for $30. Haven't heard a squeal since.

I would recommend checking out the local price first, give your dealer a call and tell them the part number.

Whether not this will solve your issue though, I am not too sure. Did you use anti squeal grease on the back of the pads?

When does it tend to squeak? Right before stopping?
Old 07-04-14, 09:53 AM
mrjazz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear brake squeak

2008 IS 250 rear brakes always squeak when backing up slowly. Have had dealer check numerous times and they always say they can't find anything wrong.
Old 07-04-14, 11:52 AM
Lex_Giorgio
Instructor

Received 110 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by getafewliv
Not sure if there is an significant difference with the rears, but my fronts squeaked when I bought the car about 4 months ago. Not sure what brand, but pretty sure they are not OEM (no dust at all and didn't look OEM). However they were pretty much brand new. I had tried putting anti squeal grease on and it helped for a short while, but didn't completely fix the issue.

I ended up getting the front anti squeal shims from a local Canadian Lexus dealer for $30. Haven't heard a squeal since.

I would recommend checking out the local price first, give your dealer a call and tell them the part number.

Whether not this will solve your issue though, I am not too sure. Did you use anti squeal grease on the back of the pads?

When does it tend to squeak? Right before stopping?
I'll check with the local dealer next week for the pricing, I just put that link up so people would see what I was talking about.

It squeaks when I press the brake in reverse or right before stopping.

Originally Posted by mrjazz
2008 IS 250 rear brakes always squeak when backing up slowly. Have had dealer check numerous times and they always say they can't find anything wrong.
My brakes didn't squeak when I bought the car. They started making that noise a month ago, so I changed the disc and pads, but the noise remains.
Old 07-04-14, 04:37 PM
getafewliv
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mrjazz
Mine don't squeak at all...
Old 07-04-14, 10:48 PM
ixAznBeNxi
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine squeaked when I needed new rotors/brake pads