IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Car starts, then dies immediately

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-14, 06:01 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Car starts, then dies immediately

Hey guys. First off I wanna say that this does not happen all the time. It's happened maybe 3 times in the past 1.5 years. Basically the problem is exactly as it sounds, I'll start the car, and instead of the engine holding the revs at the normal level, they continue to fall until the revs hit zero and the car stalls out. I'll start it a second time and it works perfectly fine. This seems to happen mostly in colder weather. I asked the dealer about it when I went in to have my water pump replaced, and they told me they would fix whatever the problem is if they could find it, but if not, I'd be paying out of pocket for the shop time. I wanted to get other people's opinions of what it could be before taking it back to them.

I'm currently sitting at about 80k kms on my 08, and I'm due for new spark plugs at my next service interval (89,500 kms). Could that be it?
Old 02-28-14, 07:24 AM
minato
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have never had this issue ,
but one thing with cars not starting or dying has to do with either electrical or fuel supply
could definately be your spark plugs
could also be your fuel lines (not likely)
before car stalls, have you ever tried stepping on gas?
do you get any codes or warning lights when this happens? cam sensor perhaps? not likely tho
what kind of gas do you use? do you drive car till fuel light shows up?
could also be carbon build up

I would take car to dealership and have them figure it out, since you are still under warranty, should be an easy fix for them
Old 02-28-14, 08:30 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Originally Posted by minato
I have never had this issue ,
but one thing with cars not starting or dying has to do with either electrical or fuel supply
could definately be your spark plugs
could also be your fuel lines (not likely)
before car stalls, have you ever tried stepping on gas?
do you get any codes or warning lights when this happens? cam sensor perhaps? not likely tho
what kind of gas do you use? do you drive car till fuel light shows up?
could also be carbon build up

I would take car to dealership and have them figure it out, since you are still under warranty, should be an easy fix for them
I haven't tried stepping on the gas, it usually happens too quickly for me to react. I don't get any warning lights, when it dies it just looks like it's in ACC mode. I use Shell 91 octane (no ethanol), and yes most of the time I drive until the fuel light comes on, but I never allow it to run dry.
Old 02-28-14, 08:44 AM
Mjh609
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sm1ke
I haven't tried stepping on the gas, it usually happens too quickly for me to react. I don't get any warning lights, when it dies it just looks like it's in ACC mode. I use Shell 91 octane (no ethanol), and yes most of the time I drive until the fuel light comes on, but I never allow it to run dry.

I run 93 in my 08. Try getting some fuel injector or fuel system cleaner.
Old 02-28-14, 08:45 AM
idoke1
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

Is it an is250 or is350? Get it datalogged or check for codes stored in the ecu.
Old 02-28-14, 10:25 AM
sm1ke
Racer

It's an IS250. I'll try the fuel injector cleaner, I haven't run it in the car before. Thanks for all the suggestions.
Old 02-28-14, 06:11 PM
jasonr
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey is it similar to this one?????
Old 02-28-14, 06:11 PM
jasonr
Driver

here is my thread. i had similar problem. yours could be same or different. but use OBDII and try to get the codes.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-any-help.html
Old 02-28-14, 06:37 PM
jkenn6
Driver

im not particularly sure but, possibly immobilizer? its just a guess but I have seen this in VW and Audi's.
Old 02-28-14, 11:14 PM
Sfrt
Driver

Hey sm1ke - sorry to hear that and doubly sorry I don't have the answer for you, but really hope this sorts itself out without too much $$$ or hassle! As if the winter hasn't been bad enough without this happening eh?!
Old 02-13-20, 07:44 PM
Reece2000
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sm1ke
Hey guys. First off I wanna say that this does not happen all the time. It's happened maybe 3 times in the past 1.5 years. Basically the problem is exactly as it sounds, I'll start the car, and instead of the engine holding the revs at the normal level, they continue to fall until the revs hit zero and the car stalls out. I'll start it a second time and it works perfectly fine. This seems to happen mostly in colder weather. I asked the dealer about it when I went in to have my water pump replaced, and they told me they would fix whatever the problem is if they could find it, but if not, I'd be paying out of pocket for the shop time. I wanted to get other people's opinions of what it could be before taking it back to them.

I'm currently sitting at about 80k kms on my 08, and I'm due for new spark plugs at my next service interval (89,500 kms). Could that be it?

I know this thread is old but I’m having this problem and was wondering if it was solved??
Old 02-14-20, 03:11 AM
bbaugher47

Received 224 Likes on 195 Posts

I had a similar issue . But it was totally my fault as I was holding the ignition button down too long instead of just pressing it. Doubt it’s the same issue , but worth a shot.
Old 02-14-20, 04:51 AM
Reece2000
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bbaugher47
I had a similar issue . But it was totally my fault as I was holding the ignition button down too long instead of just pressing it. Doubt it’s the same issue , but worth a shot.

I just press mine but thanks anyways!
Old 02-18-20, 06:47 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Originally Posted by Reece2000
I know this thread is old but I’m having this problem and was wondering if it was solved??
Hi, I ended up selling the car back in 2016 I believe, and I don't think I ever figured out what the cause was. I think it stopped happening after I used the fuel injector cleaner, but I can't be sure if that actually did anything because Shell 91 already has detergents in it that also clean the fuel injectors. Looking back on it now, I would suggest troubleshooting the fuel system and checking the spark plugs. Hope you can get it sorted out!