IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

ebay side skirt ings +1 replica fitment issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-14, 05:56 PM
metaleckz
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by smokyis350
So you got it to fit on one end of the sideskirt but it doesn't fit onto the other side? Is it too short? If it's ABS, they are quite stretchable.

Speaking from experience, polyurethane is the strongest material. ABS is also pretty strong but polyurethane is still stronger. Downside to polyurethane is the paint could chip off from the lip very easily compared to ABS or fiberglass. Stay away from fiberglass since it is the most prone to cracking from any minor impact.

It's short but not too short like I just need half inch longer. U think heat gun will work?
But what about the paint. It might crack
Old 01-15-14, 07:10 PM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by metaleckz
It's short but not too short like I just need half inch longer. U think heat gun will work?
But what about the paint. It might crack
If it's ABS it should be pretty damn flexible. Give it a shot and force it in. Once you snap it in place it should be good to go.

I just installed my rear diffuser. Fitment was a PITA also.
Old 01-17-14, 08:28 AM
YxUxMADDDD
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

i'd take it out and redo it. add two helpers along with a bottle of Hennessey. take a couple of shots first (no chasers). have one helper on one end and the other on the other end. you take the heat gun and start heating it up while the other two is pulling away from each other stretching it. test fit. repeat if needed. if it cracks or breaks, atleast you know in the end you'll be too drunk to cry about it. you three will laugh until ya'll wake up the next day. go on ebay, and buy it from another maker. repeat if needed. lol

not to be a **** but yes, people do order stuff of ebay and it is expected to not fit although SOME may. they're basically making\building rep kits off another rep kit so the fitment won't be on point. and yes, I order stuff on ebay too. times hard my brother. lol
Old 01-17-14, 10:42 AM
metaleckz
Racer

Originally Posted by YxUxMADDDD
i'd take it out and redo it. add two helpers along with a bottle of Hennessey. take a couple of shots first (no chasers). have one helper on one end and the other on the other end. you take the heat gun and start heating it up while the other two is pulling away from each other stretching it. test fit. repeat if needed. if it cracks or breaks, atleast you know in the end you'll be too drunk to cry about it. you three will laugh until ya'll wake up the next day. go on ebay, and buy it from another maker. repeat if needed. lol

not to be a **** but yes, people do order stuff of ebay and it is expected to not fit although SOME may. they're basically making\building rep kits off another rep kit so the fitment won't be on point. and yes, I order stuff on ebay too. times hard my brother. lol
What's the chance of the paint chipping or cracking when we try to expand it using a heatgun?
Old 01-17-14, 12:47 PM
dorkacho
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

high
Old 01-17-14, 07:52 PM
metaleckz
Racer

So I'll just cut it lol
Old 01-17-14, 08:02 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Get what you pay for....good luck.
Old 01-17-14, 08:07 PM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

So I'll just cut it lol
Should try stretching it first. If that doesn't work just cut it.
Old 01-19-14, 12:55 AM
08wis250
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

man that sucks
Old 01-19-14, 10:27 AM
bboysunone
Driver

Howcome u didnt try to fit it before it got paint? I just use heat gun n stratch it out abit. But after a long run paint did chipped off where u streach n drilled. But just put touch up paint but not too noticable cuz its near thr wheel n where u screw it.
Old 01-19-14, 12:16 PM
YxUxMADDDD
Lead Lap

What's the chance of the paint chipping or cracking when we try to expand it using a heatgun?
depends, if you heat it just right (sorry I don't have the exact temperature down to the decimal), the paint will soften (not a good idea to "stretch" paint - imagine stretching a laffy taffy). other than that, high chance my friend (you'll either melt the paint or the lip). BUT! don't kick yourself in the head for doing things backwards. I have myself. since it's be done, it's been done. no turning back. so move forward hence the joke I provided at the end. you purchased a side skirt off ebay, you paid to get it painted, now the side skirts don't fit. what's next? well, for beginners, you have some choices and hoping these will keep you moving along.

1 - buy another one (from a different vendor and test fit it first this time PRIOR to painting; FOB. no, no, no! not Fresh Off the Boat but Fresh Out the Box))

2 - stretch it yourself and if the paint chips, get it repainted (no choice in that)

3 - call some friends over and play sword fight with the side skirts until it breaks. whoever breaks it first wins. (i'd choose this one... it's my favorite)

4 - take it to a reputable shop and have them test fit, cut, test fit, fiberglass, test fit, paint, fitted. (HOPEFULLY, this is the option you choose... it should be under $500 - just ask members in your local area)

5 - call dr. phil (don't choose this one, he will talk you to death. suicide is the only thing running through your mind the minute you get off the phone with that man. I think miss cleo is cooler)

but anywho, hope that helps.

End.

Edit - I bet you're gonna choose option 2,1,4 in that order. by then, you would kick yourself cause you paid all that when you could've got the real deal. miss cleo rubbed off on me.. I knew paying 3.99\minute was worth it.

Last edited by YxUxMADDDD; 01-19-14 at 12:23 PM.
Old 01-19-14, 12:24 PM
metaleckz
Racer

Originally Posted by YxUxMADDDD
high chance my friend. BUT! don't kick yourself in the head for doing things backwards. I have myself. since it's be done, it's been done. no turning back. so move forward hence the joke I provided at the end. you purchased a side skirt off ebay, you paid to get it painted, now the side skirts don't fit. what's next? well, for beginners, you have some choices and hoping these will keep you moving along.

1 - buy another one (from a different vendor and test fit it first this time PRIOR to painting; FOB. no, no, no! not Fresh Off the Boat but Fresh Out the Box))

2 - stretch it yourself and if the paint chips, get it repainted (no choice in that)

3 - call some friends over and play sword fight with the side skirts until it breaks. whoever breaks it first wins. (i'd choose this one... it's my favorite)

4 - take it to a reputable shop and have them test fit, cut, test fit, fiberglass, test fit, paint, fitted. (HOPEFULLY, this is the option you choose... it should be under $500 - just ask members in your local area)

5 - call dr. phil (don't choose this one, he will talk you to death. suicide is the only thing running through your mind the minute you get off the phone with that man. I think miss cleo is cooler)

but anywho, hope that helps.

End.

Edit - I bet you're gonna choose option 2,1,4 in that order. by then, you would kick yourself cause you paid all that when you could've got the real deal. miss cleo rubbed off on me.. I knew paying 3.99\minute was worth it.
Dude. Hahaha I tried stretching it but **** didn't really stretch. So I'm going with number 1 and try to buy one from carid? Anyone have tried it before? It's $300 so should be a good fit right? Or I'm gonna buy a used one
Old 01-19-14, 12:44 PM
YxUxMADDDD
Lead Lap

bro, I know you did not heat it for 10 minutes and say it didn't work. heating it up takes time and patients my young grasshopper. it's better with 3 people including you. do one end at a time. 2 people tug while you heat UP AND DOWN that WHOLE area ... you don't want to OVER STRETCH one small area in particular to make it work. you gotta work with the whole skirt up to the point where it fits. is you nuts mang? you're dishing out another $300???? go with option 4 ... the money you're buying and painting for the new one is as much as your local shop fixing what you have to make it fit on your car! but if you got money, meet you in vegas lol ... just go get quotes for it at local shops and I know there's one in every corner in cali. simple cut and fiberglassing .. you'll thank me later but in the end, it's your call.. "carid.com" doesn't sound like "ING+1.com" so it's like taking a risk for a perfect fit from a 3rd party.. again, like ebay.

Last edited by YxUxMADDDD; 01-19-14 at 12:52 PM.