IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Might be leaving the Lexus community :/

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-13, 01:20 PM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

BMW's and Audi's are good only if you buy them brand new and have everything under warranty. OR used with an extended warranty. G35 might be a better bet but I still would seer clear away from them.

Especially if a car is built, don't take on a car you have NO idea how much time the owner put into it. There are guys who like to toss around brand names or terms like stage 1-2-3 to only find out they built a car and skipped all the preventative maintenance. The previous builds I've done or have worked on with friends, I always recommend to buy a stock block (or keep oem and build another motor), sell the car AS STOCK and sell the built motor separately.

the only reason why I LOVE Evo's and STI's but dont own one is because there are no stock ones available besides the needles in the haystack grampa that bought one a few years and never drives it.
Old 12-19-13, 03:02 AM
Uber350
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I researched and test drove cars for literally years while I saved up before finally buying an 09 is350. I can tell you that without a doubt, you are in one of the most reliable cars on the market. It's too bad that you have had some issues. I assume that you aren't the type that thinks you can just buy an automobile and it will never require general maintenance. I read so many reviews like that in my search. People would give a bad review because "I had to replace the windshield after a tiny rock hit it and cracked it!!! What a piece of junk!!!" Seriously. Or the classic "I've only had this car for 2 years and both of my tail lights needed to be replaced!!! What a piece of junk!!!" etc. If you buy another used IS, I advise not buying one with Nav. I knew that this was a big issue with our cars and therefore decided to get one without nav. I also knew that the IS250 has the carbon issue, so the "practical" solution was to buy the one with 100hp more... ( : Also, the sticky dash was a known issue, so I bought one of the unaffected model years. Do your research, it's very cost effective.
Old 12-19-13, 06:50 AM
Micaiah

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by NYKnick101
BMW's are good only if you buy them brand new and have everything under warranty. OR used with an extended warranty.
I my observations, I cannot agree with this. Even though it's brand new/under warranty or used with an extended, they still are not as reliable as one would expect. Yes, having the coverage saves money but it still will have issues.

Everyone in my extended family loves the look of BMWs. But in my family of four alone, we have three Lexy's, one Toyota, one Acura and a Nissan.

WHY?

Because a relative works at BMW and he tells us about all the new cars they sold coming back for service. Some return within a month.