IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Unnecessary repair time!!!!

Old 11-06-13, 06:36 PM
Acingteam
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by panda08
worst case scenario is that they blew the engine somehow by not putting something back on right... that's why im afraid to have my recall done. I only have about 35k miles on an 08
That is very, very, VERY unlikely to ever happen.
Old 11-06-13, 07:38 PM
jusclark13
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by panda08
worst case scenario is that they blew the engine somehow by not putting something back on right... that's why im afraid to have my recall done. I only have about 35k miles on an 08
that is worst case scenario but on the positive end it would be a brand new engine.... my buddy thinks they either wrecked it or took it through a drive through car wash and damaged the wide wheels on the rear. I'm hoping its just they broke something and are waiting on parts but will update everyone tomorrow around 530pm
Old 11-06-13, 08:11 PM
DryEye
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

When I brought my car in I had to leave my car there for 1 week. I was told that there were over 100 vehicles that were ahead of my car to have the recall done, the service rep told me that once many of the owners got the notice, they were flooded with appointments to have the recall done, and at the same time I was also told that they had to order the parts for my vehicle, due to the fact they did not order enough parts because they were not expecting many owners coming in all at once to get the recall done.
Old 11-07-13, 07:28 AM
iRock
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would go up there and check it out.
Old 11-07-13, 09:50 AM
jusclark13
Pole Position

so I stopped by the shop today and took a look at my vehicle personally...

I asked the service advisor what the hold up was and why my car would be taking nearly 17 days to complete a 6 hour recall. I was informed that the tech working on my vehicle was working on it all last week and that on friday nearly had a stroke and is in the hospital. I inquired why another tech didn't finish the job and they said he was the only tech who could do it. I then asked to physically see my car and this is where it got somewhat concerning. They had my engine completely torn apart with what looked to be the side of the engine removed, top of the engine removed, and the entire engine bay covered with shop rags. When I asked if I could look under the rags they were resilient to let me see it and asked that I only peak so that nothing "gets in the engine." They had also taken all of the plastics, intake, etc. and simply threw them in my trunk without putting a liner down or anything (this irritated me but I will let them clean my car). When I asked the tech working on the car next to mine what was going on he had a hesitant look on his face like he had no idea what to say because the service advisor was right there staring at him. He just said it will be good when they are done and walked away. They were very anxious to get me out of there as soon as possible and seemed irritated that I didn't trust them with my vehicle. Im praying everything turns out ok and that it all gets fixed correctly.

No matter what they say, do, or tell me, I believe they broke something or ruined something and are trying to correct the issue as quickly and quietly as possible.

Also, the repair shop is attached to the toyota dealer that is behind the lexus dealership which irritates me even more as there were more then 20 mechanics in the shop and not a single one working on my car.

Last edited by jusclark13; 11-07-13 at 09:54 AM.
Old 11-07-13, 09:53 AM
jusclark13
Pole Position

Originally Posted by DryEye
When I brought my car in I had to leave my car there for 1 week. I was told that there were over 100 vehicles that were ahead of my car to have the recall done, the service rep told me that once many of the owners got the notice, they were flooded with appointments to have the recall done, and at the same time I was also told that they had to order the parts for my vehicle, due to the fact they did not order enough parts because they were not expecting many owners coming in all at once to get the recall done.
I wouldn't of minded a week but by the time its done, if it is done this coming wednesday, they will have had my car for nearly 17 calendar days which to me is unreasonable by any and all measures.
Old 11-07-13, 11:29 AM
SoulFreak
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

This is very concerning...if you have a feeling that they broke something, chances are it probably did happen. Despite of the relationship you have with the dealer, business is business. It will suck big time if further down the road you indeed found out what really happened and you will be stuck with that problem. If I were you I would be all over corporate and every single manager available. This is truly unacceptable! Placing parts in the trunk of the car! I would have gone ape ****! All the grease and liquids leaking all over parts, where is the professionalism? I can go on and on. But get a better scope of the process of the recall, what parts of the engine it consists of removing and explain this to corporate. Like you mentioned, if its been 17 days for a 6 hour recall, there is definitely room for problems and mistakes. I would definitely be outraged for the truth. I'm truly sorry for the technician who had the stroke but I seriously doubt he was the only who knew how to replace the part. From a business standpoint that just doesn't make sense and it isn't efficient at all. The tech probably had a stroke after he realized he damaged some components...think...get all over this...
Old 11-07-13, 12:31 PM
Gville350

Received 429 Likes on 383 Posts

To me it sounds like they don't re-time the motor correctly when reinstalling everything and it's now in a broke state. There' s no reason why in this recall the top end (heads/intake manifold) should be removed. So yeah, they've seriously f'd up bro.

If it were my car, I'd call Lexus Corp and explain the situation and how it appears they've not only be lying to you about the condition of the car/motor but now from your personal observations the service team has dismantled the motor FAR beyond the means to fix the VVT gear recall. Tell them if resolution is not within the next week, you'll be getting your lawyer.

Wish you had taken pics of the "damage".
Old 11-07-13, 12:52 PM
tigerbalm
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the cylinder head was removed I would definitely cry foul play. The only thing that really needs to be torn down is the valve cover, timing belt, maybe the upper intake, and they probably have to remove the cam to replace the gear.
Old 11-07-13, 02:12 PM
JohnLX300
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would scratch up a conversation with someone else there......"Hey, is the tech that went to the hospital (insert time frame, i.e. last week) going to be ok?....", and when you get a "Nobody has been to the hospital" then you know something is totally wrong. I have to say not putting all the miles on my own vehicle for a few weeks definitely would be just dandy with me....maybe put in a road trip, or two, or three! Just don't like the hiding problems and issues that they are having with my vehicle. Just keep all the documentation that you can. The TSB, make sure it states that tech time to repair i.e. 6 hours. And especially keep that service record showing that your car was there for a period well beyond the 6 hours. Just incase down the road something happens...
Old 11-07-13, 02:18 PM
delta136
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would take this all the way up to Lexus Corporate. There's definitely something wrong with your car that they are not disclosing. The most sad part? This is YOUR car and you deserve to know every fine detail.

I'd be livid.
Old 11-07-13, 05:19 PM
jusclark13
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Gville350
To me it sounds like they don't re-time the motor correctly when reinstalling everything and it's now in a broke state. There' s no reason why in this recall the top end (heads/intake manifold) should be removed. So yeah, they've seriously f'd up bro.

If it were my car, I'd call Lexus Corp and explain the situation and how it appears they've not only be lying to you about the condition of the car/motor but now from your personal observations the service team has dismantled the motor FAR beyond the means to fix the VVT gear recall. Tell them if resolution is not within the next week, you'll be getting your lawyer.

Wish you had taken pics of the "damage".
i know i regret not taking a picture of the engine bay and all that.

will let everyone know what happens when i pick it up. the funny thing is I'm gonna talk to the tech who apparently had a stroke and see how everything went and how he is feeling. lexus doesn't know i work in the medical field and will know immediately if the tech starts spewing bull****
Old 11-07-13, 06:07 PM
nosurprise
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by jusclark13
They had also taken all of the plastics, intake, etc. and simply threw them in my trunk without putting a liner down or anything (this irritated me but I will let them clean my car).
That would explain the liner I got in the trunk when I got my car back after the recall ... when I saw it, I was like
Old 11-07-13, 08:16 PM
Nikon
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

this has got to be so frustrating. sorry to hear of this. definitely let us know what happens whenever you get it back!
Old 11-12-13, 10:41 PM
jusclark13
Pole Position

Just to give everyone an update.....

I haven't heard from the dealership since I went in there last Thursday morning unannounced. They told me it would be fixed by today (11/13). I am going to call tomorrow around 4:30pm and ask when it is going to be finished if they don't call me tomorrow. If it isn't finished by tomorrow Lexus Corporate will be hearing from me and they will not be happy with this as this is completely unreasonable and unacceptable for any car company ESPECIALLY a luxury car company such as Lexus. So far they have had the car for 17 days.

I hate to sound like a **** but there is absolutely no reason for this delay in repair and even if their tech had a stroke or some other medical condition you would think they would go out of their way to rectify the issue instead of just saying we will call you when its done and until they let us be. Driving the 2013 ES350 and let me be the first to say this car is a POS. Averaging 20 mpg driving it like a grandma, weak structure, etc. would never buy anything in the ES class ever!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Unnecessary repair time!!!!