IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

AFS off light is flashing on the dashboard! help!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-13, 10:29 AM
carlosL250
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default AFS off light is flashing on the dashboard! help!!

So i have a 2008 Lexus IS250 AWD and my AFS off light is flashing on my dashboard. I have no idea why and what it's for. I found that there's an option where you can turn it on and off on the left side of the steering wheel but it's selected ON and wont let me turn it off or on. I just got towed this morning and it was flashing when i went to pick up my car. How do i fix this? Is it a dealer fix and is it an expensive fix? also is it possible that the tow messed it up?

Thank you in advance for all the help!
Old 07-02-13, 10:39 AM
panda08
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

tow truck driver probably bent/broke the height sensor in the rear when hooking up the tow cables. its probably a dealer fix, possibly 200-300 dollars. speak with the dealership, if they can prove the tow truck driver broke it, you can call the tow company and ask that they pay for it.
Old 07-02-13, 11:16 AM
carlosL250
Rookie

Originally Posted by panda08
tow truck driver probably bent/broke the height sensor in the rear when hooking up the tow cables. its probably a dealer fix, possibly 200-300 dollars. speak with the dealership, if they can prove the tow truck driver broke it, you can call the tow company and ask that they pay for it.
wow hopefully they can prove it somehow. Is it dangerous to drive while it's flashing? I need to driving about 500-600 miles this weekend.
Old 07-02-13, 08:11 PM
panda08
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Its not dangerous at all, just annoying. AFS is just the headlights turning as you turn the wheel, but with it flashing it means its not working. Same thing as having it off really.

I would have the dealer try to confirm that the tow truck driver broke it ASAP so that they cant try to say that you broke it and want to blame it on the tow company.
Old 07-08-13, 01:39 PM
Deegee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey,

My AFS light is doing the exact thing your describing, apperantly after I raised my car up a bit and took it for an aggressive test drive it started to flash whenever i hit bumped/turned. Although my headlights appears to be raising when the car starts and turning left and right when I make turns.... but try this, not sure if this will be helpful or not.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...r-problem.html
Old 07-09-13, 08:52 PM
carlosL250
Rookie

Originally Posted by Deegee
Hey,

My AFS light is doing the exact thing your describing, apperantly after I raised my car up a bit and took it for an aggressive test drive it started to flash whenever i hit bumped/turned. Although my headlights appears to be raising when the car starts and turning left and right when I make turns.... but try this, not sure if this will be helpful or not.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...r-problem.html
thanks for the help, so youre saying that the only way that the sensors can get messed up is if someone raised my car up? such as getting it towed
Old 07-10-13, 07:38 AM
Deegee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by carlosL250
thanks for the help, so youre saying that the only way that the sensors can get messed up is if someone raised my car up? such as getting it towed
Well, I can't say thats the only way but in my case it was. My car was SLAMMED and i eventually raised it up a bit and took it for a really hard test drive down my own personal road course (closed course of course) and I think It may have something to do with this.

Although I haven't got time to check as it hasn't been a high priority because my AFS still works. The only problem I have is that annoying light on the dash keeps flashing when I'm moving. I hope this is the case with your car.