IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Car back from body shop, CHECK VSC/ENGINE + loss of power. WTF? Body shop error? HELP

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-13, 05:34 PM
JATLIFE
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Car back from body shop, CHECK VSC/ENGINE + loss of power. WTF? Body shop error? HELP

Hi All,

My 2006 IS250 got keyed a few weeks back so I took it to a shop I trust to have the passenger side repainted (they previously painted the entire car a few years ago and did a perfect job, no complaints). I picked it up today and when I started it, the CHECK VSC light was on in addition to the check engine and traction control lights. It was having problems getting past 30mph so there was definitely a loss of power. I pulled over, turned off the car for a few minutes, and when I restarted the lights were still on however the power was back to normal.

I have 160K+ miles on it and have had the rough idle problem related to the TSIB for the carbon issues (the problem arises every couple months, never leaves me stranded, only once had loss of power, but the dealer can't re-create the problem), so I'm thinking it is the same problem sprouting HOWEVER what is really bothering me is the fact that it happened immediately upon receiving it from the shop. Any idea what they could have done? They (of course) claim the car was just driven in and out of the shop and it couldn't have been anything on their end. Any thoughts, fellas? I have to pick up my wife's car from them in a couple of days ('05 RX, it was rear-ended the day before my car was keyed) so I'd like to figure this out before I settle the bill with them. THANKS ALL FOR THE HELP. Much appreciated.
Old 04-29-13, 05:38 PM
codenko
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine did the exact same thing when I got it back from the body shop. Exact same type of crash and exact same symptoms. Took it to Lexus and they said it was related to the carbon buildup and are ordering parts to do a rebuild of the engine per the current recall. Totally unrelated to the body shop...
Old 04-29-13, 07:02 PM
JATLIFE
Driver School Candidate

Just hasn't done this before. All other times but once, it would have a rough idle but no warning lights or power loss. Only once did I have power loss and warning lights, and the check engine lights disappeared shortly thereafter. My car's warning lights are still on... odd... never done that before. Hmmm...
Old 04-30-13, 06:16 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Guessing you daily drive the 2IS. Perhaps the fact that it sat for a little while got it upset? It does sound like the carbon build-up TSIB though.
Old 04-30-13, 07:04 PM
ColtM4A3
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gville350
Guessing you daily drive the 2IS. Perhaps the fact that it sat for a little while got it upset? It does sound like the carbon build-up TSIB though.
Bingo. Carbon build-up was the problem, the car sitting brung it to the surface.

BTW from the shops point of view can you imagine how many unrelated problems people try and pass off in hopes of getting it fixed for free. If they've done a good job for you repair wise, I wouldn't give up on them over this.
Old 05-01-13, 07:35 AM
bruins678
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You could also try disconnecting the negative battery terminal for a few minutes to reset the ECU (all your setting will be lost though). I recently had my windows tinted and they said that the battery died during the tint (guessing they were playing the stereo too long while the car was off). When they jump started it the Check Engine, VSC and traction control lights went on and stayed on. When I got home I disconnected the negative battery terminal for 5 minutes and reconnected it. The warning lights went off and have stayed off since.
Old 05-01-13, 08:48 AM
MiiK350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same exact issue. Car was at the body shop and when I picked it up, I had my cel on. Code is P0158.
Old 05-01-13, 02:05 PM
JATLIFE
Driver School Candidate

Thanks. I appreciate the feedback.

Turns out, the lights went away after 36 hours and it is now driving fine. The tech explained to me it was probably the same carbon issue we have been bringing it in for, although the tech is at wits-end trying to get the problem to reoccur at the dealership. I have brought it to them 4 times and they are really throwing up their hands at this point. Lexus corporate has given me some guarantees but still... frustrating.
Old 05-01-13, 06:20 PM
codenko
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JATLIFE
Thanks. I appreciate the feedback.

Turns out, the lights went away after 36 hours and it is now driving fine. The tech explained to me it was probably the same carbon issue we have been bringing it in for, although the tech is at wits-end trying to get the problem to reoccur at the dealership. I have brought it to them 4 times and they are really throwing up their hands at this point. Lexus corporate has given me some guarantees but still... frustrating.
Really? The Check VSC status and all the lights threw a code and Lexus said that they sent the data over to corporate and my car was eligible for the rebuild under the new TSIB.
Old 05-01-13, 07:06 PM
JATLIFE
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by cybeclipse
Really? The Check VSC status and all the lights threw a code and Lexus said that they sent the data over to corporate and my car was eligible for the rebuild under the new TSIB.
Yup. First time I took it there was after I received the CSP. I explained to them that my car has only once flashed the lights and lost power (I thought it was my sparkplugs; it wasn't), but since then my battery was replaced. They said it shouldn't be a problem. I explained most of the problems were just the rough idle at a stop, but that it would only happen every 3-6 weeks or so.

They then called me and said they couldn't recreate but to bring it back in a few weeks and they were sure Lexua woud authorize it.

So a few weeks later I bring it in and I'm told it hasn't hit the specifications Lexus requires for the repair. He said it was misfiring, just not enough.

A couple months later, I bring it in and they tell me their tests show it's performing like it has 6,000 miles, not 160,000 and they really didn't know what to do.

I called Lexus corporate, they backed up what the dealer said and said the'd note it and "take care of me" beyond the expiration of the CSP.

Now the lights turning on for ~36 hours with the temporary loss of power has me thinking it would now hit "requirements" they "need". Ugh. Just a pain in the rear.

And yeah, daily driver, 160+K, been a beast to this point for the most part (only my water pump has been replaced and that was at over 140K.