DIY Seafoam treatment

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-13, 03:36 PM
diverchris
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default DIY Seafoam treatment

Hello,
I was wondering if any one has a DIY for the vacuum line SeaFoam treatment for an IS250, with photos or video.
Thank you

Last edited by diverchris; 04-13-13 at 03:40 PM. Reason: missing info
Old 04-13-13, 03:58 PM
Denver
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

gotta have the tools to do it.... ill take a pic of what it looks like later

Last edited by Denver; 04-13-13 at 04:12 PM.
Old 04-13-13, 04:55 PM
LexoticJ
Racer

Received 98 Likes on 43 Posts

hurry up denver your slacking!!! lol
Old 04-13-13, 10:04 PM
pmanliu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Suck it into the engine via the brake booster line. Not an IS but you can find this in the engine bay on the driver's side

no special tools needed. Just pour the seafoam into a cup and suck it through the brake booster line. Theres 2 brake booster lines, one that sucks in, and one that blows air out. You want to use the one that sucks in. Afterwards let the engine sit for ~5 minutes then start it up.

I have ~40k on my 09 IS and barely got any smoke. Might try it again, but was surprised it was relatively clean. Did the same thing on my 08 FX35 with 50k and got some decent smoke (video below)

Old 04-14-13, 03:58 PM
Slammer1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

First off, I would like to say that I really like the way your FX35 sounds. Now for a quick question... I've run Seafoam in the tank of my 350, but never done the vacuum line method. In your instructions, you say that you let sit for five minutes and then crank it up? Are you pouring the Seafoam into the vacuum line with the car cut off? I always thought this was done with the car running.
Old 04-14-13, 06:48 PM
pmanliu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Slammer1
First off, I would like to say that I really like the way your FX35 sounds. Now for a quick question... I've run Seafoam in the tank of my 350, but never done the vacuum line method. In your instructions, you say that you let sit for five minutes and then crank it up? Are you pouring the Seafoam into the vacuum line with the car cut off? I always thought this was done with the car running.
Thanks Slammer - I typed my initial post in a rush so left out some details but thanks for pointing that out.

I pour seafoam into the vacuum line with the car running. As the car sucks the seafoam in, it will stutter and come close to dying. After you finish sucking the sea foam in, then shut off the car and wait 5 minutes before starting it back up.

I read online that if the car doesn't die while it is sucking in sea foam ,then its just burning it up right away (which is why i think i didn't get a smoke show). Next time i'm going to suck up 90% of the seafoam without letter the car die then on the remaining 10%, suck enough so that the engine cuts off by itself.

Let me know if any questions! Thanks
Old 04-14-13, 07:45 PM
sutekidane
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Slammer1
I did this a few months back to my 350, twice actually just for the kicks. For the 350, since it has dual-injectors and is not affected by the carbon-buildup problem like the 250s the benefit to doing Seafoam is really minimal. Also, don't go overboard with pouring the stuff into the vac. line. There has been cases where people hydrolocked their motor thinking the more the merrier.

The post from a few months back:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/7694322-post2.html
Old 04-15-13, 09:06 AM
myculito
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pmanliu
Thanks Slammer - I typed my initial post in a rush so left out some details but thanks for pointing that out.

I pour seafoam into the vacuum line with the car running. As the car sucks the seafoam in, it will stutter and come close to dying. After you finish sucking the sea foam in, then shut off the car and wait 5 minutes before starting it back up.

I read online that if the car doesn't die while it is sucking in sea foam ,then its just burning it up right away (which is why i think i didn't get a smoke show). Next time i'm going to suck up 90% of the seafoam without letter the car die then on the remaining 10%, suck enough so that the engine cuts off by itself.

Let me know if any questions! Thanks
All this sucking talk has me confused!

You're suggesting the brake booster line, but sutekidane shows it going through the vacuum line.

Which one is it supposed to be? ( I have an IS350 if that matters)