IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Should I trade in my Lexus IS 350 for a CT 200h?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-13, 01:06 PM
Cat
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I trade in my Lexus IS 350 for a CT 200h?

Hi all, really really want your advice. I just bought a Lexus IS 350 last March and it hasn't even been a year yet since I've had my car. I only have 7000 miles on it because work sent me on a 4 month out of state project in 2012. It's a beautiful car - starfire pearl with black interior, navigation, etc.

I am a 29 year old female and I was thinking about getting a more fuel efficient hybrid. What do you guys think about the CT 200h? Is it stupid for me to go from the IS to the CT? I currently have 49 more months of financing to go and will only do it if my payments are no more than what I pay now.

I realize it hasn't even been a year yet and that first year depreciation cost is killing me. My friends say the CT is not as sexy as my IS and it's not worth it to "downgrade" to an "inferior" car just to save a little bit of money on gas. I actually like the way the hybrid hatchback looks. Some female friends say it looks "manly." Opinions? Thanks guys.
Old 02-09-13, 01:13 PM
Cat
Driver School Candidate

Sorry, just realized this is in the wrong forum - my IS is a second generation.

Either way, that adds another question - how do you think the new 2014 model will affect pre 2014 model sales? The look is so different.
Old 02-09-13, 03:09 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Well I've driven the CT 200h on many occasions when I was provided one as a loaner vehicle when my IS 350 was getting serviced. It's not a bad car, looks nice and has good gas mileage and a decent interior, that said, it's no IS 350 and I couldn't wait to get back into my car after a couple days. While I'm not over-aggressive with my IS, I really felt held back by having less than half the available power.

Passing power is vital on some of the roads I drive on and if I find myself stuck behind a bus or heavy truck on some roads while driving the CT, well... I'm SOL and need to stay put vs being able to safely and quickly pass in my IS 350
Old 02-09-13, 03:13 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Two completely different cars.
Stay in the IS 350.I don't you'll be happy in a CT after a short while.
Old 02-09-13, 04:36 PM
Arcadian
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

If the gas mileage (for commuting I assume) is the issue, consider getting very used cheap sub-compact like a Honda Fit or even an Echo and keep the 350. I'll bet if you did the math on the payments, you'd find you'll end up paying more for the CT than you would for the 350. When I worked at a dealership, the used car guys loved nothing more than someone trading in a 1-2 year old car and taking a note on the new one.
Old 02-09-13, 05:41 PM
Cat
Driver School Candidate

very interesting - I know it's probably not the smartest thing financially to make this move for a one year old car... I was just hoping someone would say they absolutely love the CT and would be enough to convince me to switch. It seems like while people do like it and I do too, I'm going to really miss the power. I wish I could just have both! Gas mileage savings is not going to be enough for me like the CT over the IS?

Consensus is to keep my IS? More comments welcomed including anyone else who has switched from a faster car to this hybrid. Thanks guys.
Old 02-09-13, 08:27 PM
Cat
Driver School Candidate

So even if I keep my monthly payments the same as it is now without extending my financing terms it isn't worth it?
Old 02-09-13, 08:55 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Well all that really translates to is you're spending the same amount of money for a cheaper car

It's worth it if you think it's worth it. Meaning, if the CT is really the car you'd rather have.
Old 02-09-13, 09:11 PM
Cat
Driver School Candidate

Well, I financed my IS in 60 months and if I pay X a month, and I have 49 months remaining, I'm asking the dealership to also give me X a month, but financed for 48 months so that I am not in any worse shape.

Ramon, I know what you mean about passing cars and I'm definitely taking that into consideration. Ever since I've had my IS, I have so much more confidence on the road. I can imagine sitting there worrying about whether or not I could pass slower traffic in my CT. I'd just have to drive like a grandma... and be stuck a lot.
Old 02-09-13, 10:55 PM
All4sho350
Lead Lap

$30 a fill up and about 430 miles till almost empty on my CT and base grade 87, my is was $65-$75 and was like 370 miles..do i miss the power...ehh sometimes...but sport mode doesnt make car sluggish..makes it more responsive for those "passing" situations...these are two different cars. i dont regret my switch and my is was heavily modded
Old 02-09-13, 11:03 PM
MikeFoxx
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Cat
very interesting - I know it's probably not the smartest thing financially to make this move for a one year old car... I was just hoping someone would say they absolutely love the CT and would be enough to convince me to switch.

The sales guy will ^_^
Keep ur IS and buy a Rukus... There is on for sale in classifieds
Old 02-10-13, 08:16 AM
LexusNN
Lexus Champion

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I say get the CT. If you are keeping the same payments for the same term then you aren't losing anything really. You are getting a car that is much better and cheaper on gas.
Old 02-10-13, 08:19 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

The loss you'll take on trading a '12 IS,especially with the new design '14 coming out will buy plenty of gas for the IS350..

Last edited by Joeb427; 02-10-13 at 10:26 AM.
Old 02-10-13, 10:24 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You are in a state of sunk cost. No matter what you do, you cannot recover that.

I have seen people dump their old SUV to buy a new hybrid for better gas mileage. They forget they will now be paying for a new car. All they are focussed on is the $$$ they see being charged when they fill up. Sad.
Old 02-10-13, 12:37 PM
Cat
Driver School Candidate

You guys all make valid points. If I get the CT now, I will basically be paying the same amount of money to have a CT (cheaper car by almost 10K) as I would to keep my IS 350. At the same time, that whole first year of payment is a sunk cost anyway.

If I do this, I might wait for a used/CPO CT so that at least I don't take another huge hit on first year depreciation.

My friend who just bought the CT is coming over today. Although I've taken a short test drive, I'm going to really get on the highway with her car and see if I can stand the huge decrease in power.

Quick Reply: Should I trade in my Lexus IS 350 for a CT 200h?