Print Wikipost

Stainless Steel Brake Lines

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-12, 01:28 PM
509IS350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Stainless Steel Brake Lines

Well my 60k is coming up and I bought the Sewell kit. Since Im flushing the brake fluid I decided to upgrade my lines to the Stoptech ones. I got them from the B2 Auto GB. Is there a DIY? I've watch some videos on youtube it doesn't look that hard. Any tips?
Old 09-17-12, 04:16 PM
shadowman
Lexus Champion

From what I read, stainless steel brake line would be a downgrade from the OEM.

Kurtz can chime in and correct me if I'm wrong.

I wouldn't do it for show since it's behind the wheel, nobody is going to notice it.
Old 09-17-12, 04:35 PM
509IS350
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by shadowman
From what I read, stainless steel brake line would be a downgrade from the OEM.

Kurtz can chime in and correct me if I'm wrong.

I wouldn't do it for show since it's behind the wheel, nobody is going to notice it.
Really? I thought they would firm up the pedal feel and dont expand as much when hot. Am I wrong here? .
Old 09-17-12, 05:13 PM
anthrax144
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 509IS350
Really? I thought they would firm up the pedal feel and dont expand as much when hot. Am I wrong here? .
I think our brake lines are kevlar. Or so I heard...

EDIT: Here's a link from a previous thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/5886536-post5.html

Last edited by anthrax144; 09-17-12 at 05:17 PM.
Old 09-17-12, 05:17 PM
sw2oboi
Lead Lap

Received 74 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by 509IS350
You are correct, the only drawback is supposably they dont last as long as OEM. You would have to check the brakes lines often for fray or broken steel lines. Let us know if there are any immediate improvement to the pedal feel right off the bat. Do you ever track your car? or have long commutes?
Old 09-18-12, 06:28 AM
RaceTech4
Driver School Candidate

I just replaced my stock rubber lines with s.s. lines when doing a 4 point brake job! Not much difference if any in pedal feel, More consistent as the fluid heats up. Which is what I was looking for. I always switch out rubber lines for s.s.

These should last a long time. Its not like they fray or come apart easily. Its a wear and tear item like anything else. However they will last a long time especially if routed correctly. They come with an outer protective sheathing as well to protect the s.s. portion. Well worth the money spent in my opinion.

Last edited by RaceTech4; 09-18-12 at 07:42 AM.
Old 09-18-12, 06:46 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by RaceTech4
I just replaced my stock rubber lines with s.s. lines when doing a 4 point brake job! Not much difference if any in pedal feel, More consistent as the fluid heats up. Which is what I was looking for. I always switch out rubber lines for s.s.

These should last a long time. Its not like they fray or come apart easily. Its a wear and tear item like anything else. However they will last a long time especially if routed correctly. They come with an outer protective sheathing as well to protect the s.s. portion. Well worth the money spend in my opinion.
You might wanna read the link provided earlier... you actually just downgraded your brake lines to ones you need to inspect more often.

The OEM lines are rubber coated, but kevlar underneath.

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I'm a HUGE fan of the OEM lines because they're lighter and stronger (yes, hard to believe, but they use kevlar under the rubber anti-chafing cover for lightness and strength) and they'll not fail in the same mode as braided stainless will.
Old 09-18-12, 07:10 AM
RaceTech4
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Kurtz
You might wanna read the link provided earlier... you actually just downgraded your brake lines to ones you need to inspect more often.

The OEM lines are rubber coated, but kevlar underneath.

Their is no reason to check s.s. brake lines more often.....I dont know where you come up with this information. The Stainless Steel lines I put on are not a downgrade either...Kevlar is a minute amount of material in the lines anyways. Its not like its a kevlar line wrapped in rubber. Its a rubber line with some kevlar which is not > the lines I put on which were designed with a smaller diameter for pedal feel at higher pressures.

Last edited by RaceTech4; 09-18-12 at 07:43 AM.
Old 09-18-12, 07:14 AM
azndriver
Driver

I wonder...

if anyone has an old spare stock brake line for either an is250/350

and actually split it open to see what is inside

that would help with this debate

Im on the fence, about stainless steel lines on my is350, seeing IMO would compliment better brake pads and fluid (ATE, stoptech, Castrol, Motul etc)
Old 09-18-12, 07:21 AM
RaceTech4
Driver School Candidate

Their really shouldnt be a debate....they are rubber lines just like on every other vehicle no different. Rubber on the inside wrapped with kevlar and other cloth material for strength with a rubber outside.

The s.s. lines I have a smaller ID for increased pedal feel at higher temps and pressures, a smooth PTFE inner lining with a stainless steel lining on top of that and a outer PVC covering to protect the braid from contaminants.

In reality s.s. lines should last the entire length of the car where as Rubber OEM lines are supposed to be checked every 4 years according most manufacturers recommendation.

Last edited by RaceTech4; 09-18-12 at 07:25 AM.
Old 09-18-12, 12:26 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Their really shouldnt be a debate....they are rubber lines just like on every other vehicle no different. Rubber on the inside wrapped with kevlar and other cloth material for strength with a rubber outside.
Except, not... because again if you'd read the post referenced earlier you'd have noticed this part-

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I'm a HUGE fan of the OEM lines because they're lighter and stronger (yes, hard to believe, but they use kevlar under the rubber anti-chafing cover for lightness and strength) and they'll not fail in the same mode as braided stainless will.
(bold added since you seem to have missed it the first time)

While I've not personally dissected a 2IS brake line to verify this, the source is pretty reliable.

Their is no reason to check s.s. brake lines more often.....I dont know where you come up with this information..
Because unlike OEM lines it's not visually apparent when there is a problem under the SS braiding... hence why you have to inspect them more closely or risk an unexpected brake failure.

With the stock, kevlar lines, you don't have that drawback. Really, Lance explains it all in his original post if you care to read it.

He's hardly the only guy to suggest SS lines require more frequent inspection and/or replacement either due to the "suprise, no brakes!" issue-

http://www.turbobricks.com/mods.php?content=art0018
If you have the lines installed on your Volvo, you should inspect them on a more regular basis
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=442542
Failure is definetly a potential as the internal hose cannot be visually inspected, Change with brake fluid flush every 2 years.
http://www.nsxprime.com/wiki/Brake_L...Brake_Lines.3F

Fair bit of comments there, including from some race guys, about why not to use em on a street car, unless you replace/inspect them fairly often.

some but not all of this can be mitigated by buying a really good SS setup, but there's a lot of cheap/crap ones out there... this is mentioned here:

http://forum.miata.net/vb/showpost.p...86&postcount=3
Yes there are a couple of disadvantages.

One is that most SS lines are not "DOT legal". SS lines are very strong, but the connections at the ends tend to fail do to fatigue. There are some SS lines that are properly terminated to provide the proper stain relief, but not all are. As a result, the routing and strain relief of the SS brake lines is critical. If you've already lost brakes because of a failed rubber brake line, you understand the panic that can occur when a brake line fails. The rubber lines very seldom actually fail. They usually "go bad" and simply start swelling under pressure which creates a "mushy" feel to the brakes - but they usually don't just "burst". The SS lines, when they fail, just "burst".

Mostly SS lines are great on a race car that will have lots of maintenance and the lines will be replaced more often. For street cars, SS brake lines are mostly "bling"

But to go back to the OPs question- on a 1970s car you'd notice a significant difference... with a modern kevlar OEM brake line you really won't, especially for normal on-street driving... so unless you MUST have the look of SS stick the OEM lines that are at least as strong, and easier to inspect (and less prone to surprise failures over time).

Last edited by Kurtz; 09-18-12 at 12:39 PM.
Old 09-18-12, 03:33 PM
RaceTech4
Driver School Candidate

Ok well anyone can sit there and find information to try and validate their point. But your post is insignificant. We aren't talking about cheap **** stainless steel lines. They are DOT approved. As are most of them on the market sold for street cars! If installed correctly and when using a quality stainless steel line from a reputable manufacturer their are benefits to the line over rubber OEM lines and will most likely outlive the vehicle where as a Rubber line over time from expansion and heat will crack and fray. This is what the OP wanted to know and asked about. But as I have stated previously they are a wear and tear item all the same as a rubber line ... Thats all I will say..

Last edited by RaceTech4; 09-18-12 at 04:06 PM.
Old 09-18-12, 03:56 PM
jgbackes
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've got you both beat...

From Summit Racing.

These Superlift Bulletproof KEVLAR® reinforced braided stainless steel brake lines are constructed of a PTFE inner bladder surrounded by a KEVLAR® reinforcing braid. They're covered with a rubber sheathing, stainless steel braid, and an outer plastic sheathing for unmatched strength and protection from foreign objects. They also feature a steel leader at the end to make sure the lines are routed away from any moving suspension components.

Summit Racing

I'm hoping that you can take a joke
Old 09-18-12, 05:06 PM
anthrax144
Lexus Champion

Ok well anyone can sit there and find information to try and validate their point. But your post is insignificant. We aren't talking about cheap **** stainless steel lines. They are DOT approved. As are most of them on the market sold for street cars! If installed correctly and when using a quality stainless steel line from a reputable manufacturer their are benefits to the line over rubber OEM lines and will most likely outlive the vehicle where as a Rubber line over time from expansion and heat will crack and fray. This is what the OP wanted to know and asked about. But as I have stated previously they are a wear and tear item all the same as a rubber line ... Thats all I will say..
The point is, the only reason to change the brake lines is for appearance. There will be ZERO performance benefit which is what the OP was looking for. As was noted in previous threads on this subject, those that changed to SS lines also said as much. Of course, were posting in a car forum that features people dropping 10's of thousands of dollars on a $40+k car so if you want to spend money for appearance sakes, go for it! Just don't be surprised when that's all it does.
Old 09-18-12, 07:42 PM
509IS350
Lexus Test Driver

Damn. I didn't want to get shunned. Lol jk. Well I bought them already. Ill just inspect them yearly when I do my inside wheel clean. Thanks

Quick Reply: Stainless Steel Brake Lines