IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS250 Carbon Build up CSP

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-12, 11:38 AM
nitrotang
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Each letter has a specific VIN attached to it. It does say to keep the letter in your car incase this issue comes up so you can bring it to the dealer. And only '06-'10 IS250's qualify for this repair.
Old 10-04-12, 07:19 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by diagtime
First off, FYI, this is not just a cleaning. Pistons and piston rings will be replaced. Essentially, it's an engine rebuild. Every part of your engine will be removed. Pistons, rods, valves...everything. Think of it as major heart surgery. If you need it, do it. If you don't really need it, then surgery is just taking a risk for no reason.
Actually, per my recall work invoice and the TSB, they don't pull the head and replace the valves (no idea why not as these are the problem). They just do a "bottom end" job - remove the pan, crank, pistons, rods and rings. Replace the pistons and rings and box her back up again. Maybe the valve crud burns off after the piston job?

Those valves looked nasty..... I hope mine don't look like that after the repairs!

Old 10-04-12, 07:34 PM
gmanjeep
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 is 250

Hi, Everyone, I am new to the forum and just wanted to tell my experience. I too received the letter about a week ago. I called my SA at Lexus and he asked me when I wanted to drop it off.I told him Wednesday morning, which was yesterday. When I got there, he took the letter and give me a loaner car and said He would call me in a few days. I asked if there were any tests they had to do, and he said no, they were just going to do the work for me. He said I might want to think about changing out the water pump and the drive belt while they had it apart. I said that would be great, just give me a call. So today at 5 PM my phone rings and he tells me my car is done and it has a rebuilt motor. In less than a day and a half! I said how is that possible? He said they had 2 guys working on it since I dropped it off yesterday. I am VERY Skeptical. Has anyone had this done yet? Do you get documentation from the dealer telling you what all they have done? I am going over in the morning to pick it up. They have always been wonderful to me, but this sounds too good to be true. Is there a way to check and see if the work was actually Done? Thanks in advance for your input.
Gary
Old 10-04-12, 07:49 PM
diagtime
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by sktn77a
Actually, per my recall work invoice and the TSB, they don't pull the head and replace the valves (no idea why not as these are the problem). They just do a "bottom end" job - remove the pan, crank, pistons, rods and rings. Replace the pistons and rings and box her back up again. Maybe the valve crud burns off after the piston job?

Those valves looked nasty..... I hope mine don't look like that after the repairs!

I never said valves are replaced. they are removed and cleaned thoroughly. per actual facts, the heads have to be removed. that includes cams, cam cradles, valves...etc... the rods and pistons are pulled out together and for the IS, the pistons and the rings are replaced. just about the only component that isn't detached is the crankshaft. just look at this pictures posted. you can see the block on an engine stand. the heads are off and in other pictures. all that stuff on the ground is the rest of your engine.

also, valves and valve guides are supposed to be inspected. excessive clearance found would mean valve and valve guide replacement. this is very rare.
Old 10-04-12, 07:58 PM
diagtime
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by gmanjeep
Hi, Everyone, I am new to the forum and just wanted to tell my experience. I too received the letter about a week ago. I called my SA at Lexus and he asked me when I wanted to drop it off.I told him Wednesday morning, which was yesterday. When I got there, he took the letter and give me a loaner car and said He would call me in a few days. I asked if there were any tests they had to do, and he said no, they were just going to do the work for me. He said I might want to think about changing out the water pump and the drive belt while they had it apart. I said that would be great, just give me a call. So today at 5 PM my phone rings and he tells me my car is done and it has a rebuilt motor. In less than a day and a half! I said how is that possible? He said they had 2 guys working on it since I dropped it off yesterday. I am VERY Skeptical. Has anyone had this done yet? Do you get documentation from the dealer telling you what all they have done? I am going over in the morning to pick it up. They have always been wonderful to me, but this sounds too good to be true. Is there a way to check and see if the work was actually Done? Thanks in advance for your input.
Gary
It can be done in an 8 hour day by 2 highly trained and experienced techs working together.

Originally Posted by nitrotang
Each letter has a specific VIN attached to it. It does say to keep the letter in your car incase this issue comes up so you can bring it to the dealer. And only '06-'10 IS250's qualify for this repair.
Again, you do not need the letter. if your car is in the vin range (06-part of 2010 MY)......,you're covered. And 06 gs300 can also have this repair done....the only difference is that just the piston rings are replaced, not the pistons.
Old 10-04-12, 08:47 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 740 Likes on 638 Posts

Top fuel funny car mechanic can rebuild their Over 1k hp engine with in mins. I am sure lexus dealer techs have rebuilt many of the is250 engines, that its become cake for them to rebuild. I wouldnt be surprised if it was done in 4-5 hrs.
Old 10-05-12, 07:26 AM
sgmbab
Driver

Originally Posted by ibidu1
Top fuel funny car mechanic can rebuild their Over 1k hp engine with in mins. I am sure lexus dealer techs have rebuilt many of the is250 engines, that its become cake for them to rebuild. I wouldnt be surprised if it was done in 4-5 hrs.
Just talked to my SA this past Wednesday and he told me that a good mechanic can finish the job in two to three days, and they get paid anywhere from $22-29 per hour. This is how they make their money, so they want your car to break down.
Old 10-07-12, 07:17 AM
Road Rage
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ibidu1
Welllllll, drag engines only have to last less than 1 minute. The engine I rebuild has to last you a lifetime. Big difference. And yes, I do both. And nobody does it in 4-5 hours, too much maticulous cleaning to do plus sealant has to dry before you can proceed with some steps. As for tag teaming this job, I refuse to do that, too many chances for something to be left out. I've seen some guys tag team it, they've had come backs. I've done 21 of these so far and starting another one tomorrow, zero comebacks for me so far. Takes me a day and a half by myself.
Old 10-07-12, 07:22 AM
Road Rage
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sgmbab
Just talked to my SA this past Wednesday and he told me that a good mechanic can finish the job in two to three days, and they get paid anywhere from $22-29 per hour. This is how they make their money, so they want your car to break down.
wrong, I get paid less than that and the job is a fixed rate of 29 hours (29.9 for AWD models) which means I get paid the same amount whether I finish it in 5 days or 5 hours. And I'm very good. I teach other tech's how to do it. Some parts of the country might pay their Tech's that much but not in the south.

Last edited by Road Rage; 10-07-12 at 07:39 AM.
Old 10-07-12, 08:52 AM
sgmbab
Driver

Originally Posted by Road Rage
wrong, I get paid less than that and the job is a fixed rate of 29 hours (29.9 for AWD models) which means I get paid the same amount whether I finish it in 5 days or 5 hours. And I'm very good. I teach other tech's how to do it. Some parts of the country might pay their Tech's that much but not in the south.
What i meant was that they get paid 22-29 for the job and not their regular pay rate. Good to know, thanks for clearing it up.
Old 10-07-12, 10:07 PM
drewster12
Rookie

Took mine to the dealership last Tuesday morning and it was done by Thursday evening. Car runs great so far and they replaced the pistons, piston rings, valve springs and assembles. Also did an oil and coolant change.
Old 10-08-12, 06:32 PM
liquidfuel
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by drewster12
Took mine to the dealership last Tuesday morning and it was done by Thursday evening. Car runs great so far and they replaced the pistons, piston rings, valve springs and assembles. Also did an oil and coolant change.
Same here. My SA showed me an invoice on what it would have cost if it wasn't under warranty. Total was about $7100. $4000+ in parts and the rest in labor.

Old 10-08-12, 07:21 PM
chris07is
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 65 Posts

so question guys...If i didn't have this problem on my 07 IS 250 does it mean i will not get any notification? i have 115k on my mileage...i do have one occasion that my rpm was acting crazy and i had the video of it..should i take it in even if i had no memo on my car regarding this issue..
Old 10-08-12, 08:10 PM
ghwanee
Rookie

Originally Posted by chris07is
so question guys...If i didn't have this problem on my 07 IS 250 does it mean i will not get any notification? i have 115k on my mileage...i do have one occasion that my rpm was acting crazy and i had the video of it..should i take it in even if i had no memo on my car regarding this issue..
I would bring it in. You are covered under this CSP and there is no mileage limit. I took my car in and just mentioned about my worries with carbon build up and they're doing my repair as soon as the parts come in which is about 2 weeks. If you're worried I would bring it in. If I had that many miles on my car, I would bring it in and get spark plugs and/or water pump changed at the same time to save money on labor.

P.S. my car has 45k miles
Old 10-08-12, 08:14 PM
ghwanee
Rookie

My question is if the carbon build up problem continues in few years, will they do the warranty work again?

Quick Reply: IS250 Carbon Build up CSP