IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Full in-depth review, unboxing, & Q&A of ANDROID VAISTECH UNIT (video inside)

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-12, 03:09 PM
rebs
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CCJ22
Ok sorry for absence. Had to catch up on a few things at my full-time job while also launching my own company (flippin busy)
I've got more vids to post. They're going up tonight
No worries. People get busy, and I appreciate you taking any time to share any information with us.

Did you have the ML+ before this device? I'm curious what the audio quality is on this device vs the ML+. The reason you ask? ....

I transferred my lossless audio library to my EVO 3D. I bought the MHL to HDMI adapter and even after trying different ROM's, players, and kernels the audio was subpar-quality when I output it to my receiver (and I'm not an audiophile). I plugged in my iPod touch (via the proprietary apple cable) to the same receiver and it was like night and day (and I want this iVIC device, so if anything my bias is pro-Android).

What's worse is I started setting up blind audio tests with my friends. Different players, ROM's, kernel's, HDMI cables, etc...and not once did they pick my EVO 3D over my iPOD Touch.

Needless to say I really want the iVIC, but I'm really concerned about audio quality. It would be really hard to downgrade in audio quality after getting use to the ML+ for a year.

Any thoughts you could provide would be very appreciated.
Old 10-02-12, 10:55 AM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by robertrios
Group buy?
Robertrios for President!!!
Old 10-02-12, 06:28 PM
Crispy
Pole Position

First off, thanks for doing this. It is much appreciated.

I'm curious about the phone functionality. Does it use the phone mic or the vehicles mic? I'm concerned that if it uses the phone mic, I would have to open the center console to use the phone.

I too have a Galaxy Nexus, you mentioned issues with the phone, can you elaborate?

Thanks again!
Old 10-08-12, 10:09 AM
rebs
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Crispy

I'm curious about the phone functionality. Does it use the phone mic or the vehicles mic? I'm concerned that if it uses the phone mic, I would have to open the center console to use the phone.

I too have a Galaxy Nexus, you mentioned issues with the phone, can you elaborate?

Thanks again!
**** Corrected 10/9/2012 per Vaistech ****

I took the plunge, so I can answer some of your questions.

Your phone uses bluetooth connectivity to handle the cursor movement. It's officially listed as a bluetooth input device. **Correction: Per Vaistech (and my quick test a few minutes ago), you can pair with both the iVIC and your car's hands-free setup. To answer the OP question, the hands free connection would be with your Lexus and not the iVIC.

I'll go ahead and post some of my thoughts / feelings later this week, but feel free to ask any other questions. I have the day off ;-)

Last edited by rebs; 10-09-12 at 10:35 AM.
Old 10-09-12, 09:31 AM
VaisTech
Club Lexus Vendor

Originally Posted by rebs
I took the plunge, so I can answer some of your questions.

Your phone uses bluetooth connectivity to handle the cursor movement. It's officially listed as a bluetooth input device, so to answer your question you lose all hands-free capabilities. This was a shocker to me, so I called Vaistech and a tech support rep confirmed.

You could skip the bluetooth step and just show the video on the nav, but not interact with it; Under the scenario, you could make a bluetooth connection with your car's integrated hands free (like normal). However, in my opinion, if you are going to do this you might as well stick with the ML+ and show video (like one of the other members in this forum did).

I'll go ahead and post some of my thoughts / feelings later this week, but feel free to ask any other questions. I have the day off ;-)
Not sure who you talked to at our customer support, but this statement is completely INCORRECT. You can definitely have all your factory features available while you have iVIC connected and controlled. So, you CAN have your hands free capabilities and control the cursor movement at the same time.

We apologize for incorrect information given to you over the phone. And all reps have been emailed with this link to make sure they provide correct information on the phone.

Thanks,
Old 10-09-12, 09:38 AM
rebs
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by VaisTech
Not sure who you talked to at our customer support, but this statement is completely INCORRECT. You can definitely have all your factory features available while you have iVIC connected and controlled. So, you CAN have your hands free capabilities and control the cursor movement at the same time.

We apologize for incorrect information given to you over the phone. And all reps have been emailed with this link to make sure they provide correct information on the phone.

Thanks,
I know who it was, but I don't want to get anyone in trouble....especially since the guy was extremely helpful over the phone with my other issues (and perhaps he misunderstood my question since cell phone conversations with delays can sometimes be awkward).

I'll correct my previous post. I also heard there is a firmware update coming out this week. Is that still the plan?

Thanks again for your time.
Old 10-10-12, 09:47 AM
VaisTech
Club Lexus Vendor

I know who it was, but I don't want to get anyone in trouble....especially since the guy was extremely helpful over the phone with my other issues (and perhaps he misunderstood my question since cell phone conversations with delays can sometimes be awkward).

I'll correct my previous post. I also heard there is a firmware update coming out this week. Is that still the plan?

Thanks again for your time.
No problem. New software is ready and will be released very soon. As always release notes will be available on our forum. Thanks!
Old 10-15-12, 12:58 PM
PolacRudie
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by CCJ22
So I don't like AT&T one bit but I got many PM's on this skyrocket. aka galaxy II. Yesterday I was going to see if it would work via a buddies SGII but I forgot my cable at home so today he is coming by for us to see if it indeed works.
Stay tuned.
Any update on this? I currently have a skyrocket. Looking at one of these units for an x-mas gift to myself I think.
Old 10-15-12, 01:37 PM
CCJ22
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sweet! Thanks for all your informative reviews/videos. They are appreciated!
Preface: If I use this device, I'll be using my phone as a MP3 player (in replacement of my iPod Touch).

If you get a chance could you talk about what media players you use and maybe talk about them in the video? For example, do you use a MP3 player that plays FLAC, allows you to rate songs, create playlists, etc., and if so how does that non-stock music player integrate with the device (i.e. can u still use the steering wheel controls, what about beats audio or eq settings, etc).
I have not attempted to use any except the stock google play app so I can't touch on this. HOWEVER I have noticed an increase in sound detail using the vaistech as opposed to the aux or the CD's I use to burn. I have never used an ipod though sorry rebs
Quick commentary: Never thought it would be so difficult to get off my iPod Touch as my music/media player, but it's hard to find an application that syncs with my computer, plays lossless audio, and allows me to rate songs and create playlists. If you have suggestions please PM me...I don't want to get this thread too far off topic, but I'm also curious if the iVIC can handle non-stock android media players.
just tried non stock media players... It handled them fine
Thanks for your time and help; It's VERY much appreciated!
That's a bummer since that's the phone I have, but to be honest I might have to dump the Android platform (and I'm an Android fanboy). I've tried 5 different media players, purchased several different Equalizers, etc. and I just can't make it sound as good as my iPod touch (even after consulting with some of the developers in the XDA forums).

I went as far as blindfolding my friends (at different times) and asking them to pick which device sounded better. Every single time they picked the iPod (using lossless audio on both devices, identical headphones and/or hdmi cable vs ipod dock).

Anyone have any ideas I'm definitely all ears. Does anyone know if the Apple cable is going to allow iPod's/iPhones to work the same way with this device? I'm assuming so because otherwise you might as well just utilize a ML+, right?

/sigh.[/QUOTE]
You make a good point about the ipod/android cable. I only know of one guy whom ordered that from vaistech. His username on here is oztechs. I may have spelled that wrong.
No worries. People get busy, and I appreciate you taking any time to share any information with us.

Did you have the ML+ before this device? I'm curious what the audio quality is on this device vs the ML+. The reason you ask? ....
I never had the ML+ I just have stock navy so can't really comment on that stuff
I transferred my lossless audio library to my EVO 3D. I bought the MHL to HDMI adapter and even after trying different ROM's, players, and kernels the audio was subpar-quality when I output it to my receiver (and I'm not an audiophile). I plugged in my iPod touch (via the proprietary apple cable) to the same receiver and it was like night and day (and I want this iVIC device, so if anything my bias is pro-Android).

What's worse is I started setting up blind audio tests with my friends. Different players, ROM's, kernel's, HDMI cables, etc...and not once did they pick my EVO 3D over my iPOD Touch.

Needless to say I really want the iVIC, but I'm really concerned about audio quality. It would be really hard to downgrade in audio quality after getting use to the ML+ for a year.

Originally Posted by Crispy

Thanks again!
So the issues with the galaxy nexus have been ironed out according to my source at Vaistech. I am not sure the details but I'd presume their next update will correct this. Also I have been unsuccessful to get the phone function of my android to work with the in car bluetooth mic... It always go through the phone mic which is in my console. I'm hoping vaistech can find a remedy for this. When I did my review I was stopped and in my garage but I realized this issue after driving on the highway and people couldn't hear me and I couldn't hear them.
Originally Posted by VaisTech
No problem. New software is ready and will be released very soon. As always release notes will be available on our forum. Thanks!
Looking forward to read the changelog to see what changes have been made. Thanks Vais.
Originally Posted by PolacRudie
Any update on this? I currently have a skyrocket. Looking at one of these units for an x-mas gift to myself I think.
The skyrocket issue has also been remedied by vaistech apparently. I can't comment on how they fixed it but I'm guessing with their new update they are doing it is correcting the issues much like the Nexus was having.
Old 10-15-12, 09:21 PM
oztiks
Lexus Test Driver

Hey,

I'll try to help you out, but am a little confused. You say your *droid doesn't sound very good when connected to your receiver. Does that include your home receiver?
Old 10-22-12, 05:16 AM
epicshoote
Driver School Candidate

Default New poster

So I have never really posted on here- I am more of a lurker....
I did want to say how my experience with the iVIC has been. First- if you are on the fence to get it- just get it. The function is awesome.
Second- sound quality. Prior to this unit I had an Older (vintage 2007) SL2 with an older ipod connected. The sound quality was good but I never noticed the lack of clarity until the iVIC was installed. It is crisp, clear and now what you hear a lot of the time is quality lacking in either the media file (128 rather than higher) or just poor production quality on the music in general. You can hear an actual change if you change pandora from standard quality to high quality. Also what I have noticed is the volume can be adjusted in 3 different places- you phone media, the stereo of course and the gain adjustment on the screen for the iVIC. adjust all three of these until the sound is perfect and then leave them alone. This can effect quality A LOT. keep in mind that the ipod when you do ipod out fixes the volume- the phone does not. Also keep in mind that Adroid itself has soft equalizers that can REALLY effect the quality and reproduction of sound. Turn them off.
For all the other function- this thing really kicks ***- I love it. Yes you use your factory Bluetooth along with the iVIC bluetooth for on screen interaction. I have noticed my phone does have issues sometimes connecting to both but if you remove both- add the iVIC first and then the car back in it should be OK to use for the long term. Sometimes the car will get flaky but it did that before stock so that was always there.
Get it, and I hope you enjoy it as much as I have!
Old 10-28-12, 11:13 PM
all06is350
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just an update.

I got my EVO 3d to work with an update from Vaistech (to the IVIC) and an update from Android (to the phone) to Android 4

the touch is not perfect but probably more of a settings issue on my part.

Originally Posted by all06is350
Just installed this. Its pretty badass. but it doesn't work with the HTC Evo 4G

My HTC Evo 3d kinda works, it shows up on the screen but you cant use the screen to control the phone. I knew i was taking a risk since the 3d was not on the compatible list.
Upgrading to Galaxy SIII soon enough.

Compatible Android phones:

Motorola:

Droid Razr
Droid Razr Maxx
Droid Bionic
Droid x2

Samsung:

Galaxy Note
Galaxy SIII

HTC:

EVO 4G LTE

Incompatible
HTC EVO 4G

[Semi compatible] shows on screen but must control from phone.
HTC EVO 3D

You can view the list here: http://www.vaistech.com/dev/iVIC-droid.php
[/QUOTE]
Old 11-14-12, 04:43 PM
rebs
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by oztiks
Hey,

I'll try to help you out, but am a little confused. You say your *droid doesn't sound very good when connected to your receiver. Does that include your home receiver?
Thanks for your response. For some reason my notification on this threat wasn't working, so I didn't see all these responses.

Yes, my android sounded like garbage through my receiver. It sounded like some garbage through headphones, and it sounded subpar with the vaistech (compared to the iPOD and the ML+).

I just got a new phone (the Note 2) and already it sounds better. I'm still working out the bugs though, so time will tell...

Does anyone else have an issue with the phone still losing battery life when plugged in? I've tried 3 different android phones, and different cables, and I did fresh boots while end tasking non-critical apps, and I still lose a charge. On my last 2 hour trip I lost more than 10% per hour.

Thanks for the input everyone.

Last edited by rebs; 11-14-12 at 04:49 PM.
Old 11-16-12, 10:54 AM
zach6432
Driver School Candidate

So does anyone know if there are any issues with the IVIC and the Mark Levinson package?

I'm really considering this, but wouldn't want to lose DVD Playback functionality or sound quality.

Thanks!
Old 11-19-12, 05:24 AM
epicshoote
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for your response. For some reason my notification on this threat wasn't working, so I didn't see all these responses.

Yes, my android sounded like garbage through my receiver. It sounded like some garbage through headphones, and it sounded subpar with the vaistech (compared to the iPOD and the ML+).

I just got a new phone (the Note 2) and already it sounds better. I'm still working out the bugs though, so time will tell...

Does anyone else have an issue with the phone still losing battery life when plugged in? I've tried 3 different android phones, and different cables, and I did fresh boots while end tasking non-critical apps, and I still lose a charge. On my last 2 hour trip I lost more than 10% per hour.

Thanks for the input everyone.
Yes- I have had issues with battery drain as well- it is strange. If I am at 100% battery and plug it in it sometimes refuses to charge. I have seen this with just a regular car charger and also the charger that came with the phone. Android shuts down the port and does not open it back up when the charge depleats. I also noticed that a restart of the phone after the battery starts depleating gets it to start charging again. This is an android issue- not a VAIS issue.

Quick Reply: Full in-depth review, unboxing, & Q&A of ANDROID VAISTECH UNIT (video inside)