IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Help! How to repair/replace this door trim?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-12, 08:27 AM
awdwill
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! How to repair/replace this door trim?

Previous owner apparently put some heavy luggage in the back seat, and it cracked up (not just scratched up) the silver-colored trim on the inside of the driver's side's rear door. See pics. Is there a way to repair it? You can see that the previous owner did a ****ty job painting it, but the crack still shows through. If repairing is not worth the effort, is there a way to replace just that trim and not the entire friggin' door? I can't find a way, after inspecting the trim thoroughly, to remove it without destroying it.
Attached Thumbnails Help! How to repair/replace this door trim?-674004.jpg   Help! How to repair/replace this door trim?-dsc08935.jpg   Help! How to repair/replace this door trim?-dsc08936.jpg  
Old 06-05-12, 11:51 AM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

I doubt that handle piece can be sourced separately. You will probably need to source a junked-car's door panel. Unless you can surgically remove that piece, sand down the damage, and repair it somehow.

GL!
Old 06-06-12, 05:22 AM
awdwill
Driver School Candidate

Ah, that's what I was afraid of. i'm not sure if i want to replace the entire inside door panel just for that... but maybe i'll visit a local junk yard. Thanks for the reply!
Old 06-06-12, 01:13 PM
Gville350

Yeah, I have a similar "problem"; mine being on the front driver's door panel. The "leather" panel right behind the silver handle got a couple good gouches in them from the previous female owner's big wedding ring. Thought of replacing just the "leather" or get a new panel altogether.

GL!
Old 06-06-12, 01:19 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

You can't purchase that part separately. You'll have to do a custom repair/upgrade, or just buy a new door panel (which you can get at a reasonable price if you look).

Javier
Old 06-07-12, 09:36 AM
awdwill
Driver School Candidate

Thank you all for the feedback.
I was just looking over the process of taking down the inside of the door and installing it... it appeared to be something rather complicated for me because it involves the locking mechanism and the lock handle. Now I am not sure if I can go through with it even if I find one from the junkyard!

Say, if I find a junk part for cheap (say $200? as opposed to the original panel that will cost me $800), then I still have to pay mechanics probably $150 (give or take).... that sum is a bit over my budget for a relatively small cosmetic defect....
Old 06-07-12, 04:14 PM
Gville350

^I think the rear door would actually be rather easy. Not sure about the door lock mech, but it should be as easy as removing a few hidden screws, disconnecting the window switch, using a plastic prop tool to pry the panel off the door, and bam...panel accessed.

GL!
Old 06-07-12, 05:35 PM
JoshIS408
- - G T V I P - -

Received 117 Likes on 44 Posts

Just send it out to get em wrapped in real CF. just an alternative . . .
Old 06-07-12, 06:18 PM
kingster
Pole Position

It does not look so bad, but I know that it bothers to know is there. If you choose to replace the whole panel and are in LA area, try the yards on Alameda/between Gage and Slauson.
As someone already said, "wrap". Wrap is probably a good alternative and not necessarily CF. It could be of any other material close to the color of the original ones. So you don't have to do all four and end up paying over $200.

Good luck
Old 06-07-12, 10:17 PM
busdepot
Lead Lap

3M makes some very high quality vinyls that are very durable that would fit this application. A buddy just did the equivalent piece on his E46 330cic. Looks sharp and you can try out a different colour with little cost.
Old 06-08-12, 10:54 AM
awdwill
Driver School Candidate

thanks for the great ideas, guys. I've just purchased some 3M carbon fiber vinyls... hopefully it's not hard to apply (with a hair dryer?) and trim while the plastic piece stays on the door panel because there's no way to remove the plastic piece without damaging it.
Old 06-08-12, 03:21 PM
ISCjonny
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

that trim piece is removable. need to remove door panel and unscrew from the back.
Old 06-14-12, 11:33 AM
awdwill
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ISCjonny
that trim piece is removable. need to remove door panel and unscrew from the back.
Thanks for the help. I removed the door panel, but I don't see screws that directly connect to the plastic piece. see pic here: http://i1052.photobucket.com/albums/...natom/6-76.jpg

Do I need to remove the big white piece of hard plastic first? It seems to me that there are at least 3 layers of materials I have to remove to even see how my damaged piece of plastic is connected to the rest of the door panel.

I have a strong suspicion that plastic part is either glued on or clipped on... but I don't dare prying it out yet.
Old 06-14-12, 12:44 PM
Gville350

You would have to hack up that door panel ALOT to get to that handle. Your best bet is problem the vinyl wrap or a spot fix.
Old 06-14-12, 10:20 PM
awdwill
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Gville350
You would have to hack up that door panel ALOT to get to that handle. Your best bet is problem the vinyl wrap or a spot fix.
doh, all that time spent on door removal for nothing...
thanks. i'll try wrap then... but i wonder how the result would be if i can't actually wrap around the edges of the piece...

Quick Reply: Help! How to repair/replace this door trim?