IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Need complete change of headlights on my 08' IS350!

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-12, 01:57 PM
snaggle
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Need complete change of headlights on my 08' IS350!

Hey guys!

So, basically, I am pretty much tired of my headlights on my 2008 IS350... I just dont like any lights that arent "White and bright". Right now my driver lights (the lights that are always on no matter what, and you cant turn them off!) are annoying me the most, they are literally orange, as most of you know. As well as the high beams.

Anyway, in short, I would like for all of my lights to all be white and not orange, and relatively bright (not too bright) xenon.

Now, I have 0 knowledge when it comes to lighting/electrical - so could you guys please tell me what I need to buy to make the changes I want to my car? A link to a place or ebay or maybe sewell lexus that I can order it from would be great!

I have seen the 6k HID's etc etc... but again, I know nothing about lighting, and dont know what to get exactly... so please give me some input guys!

Many thanks in advance!
Old 04-12-12, 02:07 PM
aaquino3
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by snaggle
Hey guys!

So, basically, I am pretty much tired of my headlights on my 2008 IS350... I just dont like any lights that arent "White and bright". Right now my driver lights (the lights that are always on no matter what, and you cant turn them off!) are annoying me the most, they are literally orange, as most of you know. As well as the high beams.

Anyway, in short, I would like for all of my lights to all be white and not orange, and relatively bright (not too bright) xenon.

Now, I have 0 knowledge when it comes to lighting/electrical - so could you guys please tell me what I need to buy to make the changes I want to my car? A link to a place or ebay or maybe sewell lexus that I can order it from would be great!

I have seen the 6k HID's etc etc... but again, I know nothing about lighting, and dont know what to get exactly... so please give me some input guys!

Many thanks in advance!
Your IS350 comes with HID as stock, just change the bulb. the size is D4S

6K hid are White 8K HID BLUE i would pick 6kHID BLUE is too BLUE

just follow this link to change it
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...hid-bulbs.html
Old 04-12-12, 02:10 PM
snaggle
Driver

Originally Posted by aaquino3
Your IS350 comes with HID as stock, just change the bulb. the size is D4S

6K hid are White 8K HID BLUE i would pick 6kHID BLUE is too BLUE

just follow this link to change it
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...hid-bulbs.html
Are those the headlights? or the driver lights that i am trying to change? Can you give me a link to the cheapest or best place I could buy them from?

Thanks!
Old 04-12-12, 02:52 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 77 Likes on 53 Posts

If you pay Lexus they will turn off your drl.
Old 04-12-12, 03:12 PM
greg0126
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by laobo979
If you pay Lexus they will turn off your drl.
A lot of dealerships do this for free.
Old 04-12-12, 03:20 PM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey guys!

Many thanks in advance!
You need to do some searching on the forums as there are countless threads explaining all this and you're starting from scratch. But basically, the "orange" lights that are always on that you're talking about are your Daytime Running Lights (or DRLs). Your DRL bulbs are actually the same bulb as your high beams, only at half power. You have several options for modifying these DRLs to get rid of the orange color:

1) Turn them off. You can go to a Lexus dealer and ask them to simply turn off your DRLs. That way they won't be on all the time and your high beams will still work when you want them. It's simply a setting the dealer will switch, there's nothing else involved other than hooking up a computer and clicking a few times. Some dealers will do it, others will balk. Not sure why this is, but that's the experience I've seen CL members have.

2) Replace them with different bulbs. Some people try and make the lights look less orange by replacing the bulbs with "whiter" bulbs. Unfortunately, as I understand from reading other threads on this, basically any bulb at half power will still look pretty orange. So this won't really solve your problem.

3) Replace them with LEDs. This will actually turn your DRLs to whatever color you want. Search CL for "LED DRLs" and you'll find tons of pics, how-tos, links, etc. But the thing to remember with this is that replacing your DRLs with LEDs will eliminate high-beam functionality. That means you won't have high beams or "brights". In addition to being an inconvenience, this might also be illegal in some states/areas.

Here's an explanation of the lights on the front of the car:

Need complete change of headlights on my 08' IS350!-untitled.jpg

1) Low beam (halogen or HID)
2) Parking light (smaller halogen bulb)
3) DRL/high beam (halogen)
4) Fog light (halogen)

What other lights are you trying to change? Also, do you have HID low beams or halogens? You may not know, in which case someone else is going to have to chime in on how you figure that out, I just know from looking.
Old 04-12-12, 03:42 PM
Jzsicklexi
Lead Lap

LED DRLs

Morimoto 5000k bulbs w/ 3000k hid fogs
Old 04-12-12, 05:31 PM
snaggle
Driver

Calvin: Thanks a lot for the input, you basically told me almost everything I need to know! I WISH I knew I could go to the dealer and have them disable the DRL, I am sure they would do it for me, I know them there and they are all nice.
BTW - for my normal beams, shouldnt they be HID? arent they all HID on a 2008 IS350? The color on those are white, and I am not complaining on those. However, I might change them to the 6000k since I found out it would be really cheap to do it!

Anyway, after seeing Jzsicklexi's pics of the LED DRL's, I have got to look into getting those! But Im really gonna have to think about the no high beam disadvantage, I use them quite a bit, on many occasions I use them to warn other cars as well instead of using the horn.

The most Ideal thing for me would be to have the 2011/12 lights on the ISx50's!! I LOVE the LED's! but unfortunately, their price is outrageous!
Old 04-12-12, 06:28 PM
Vroomin350
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

But their soooooooo worth it

I think you'll be happier with having them disabled, I live in Florida myself and I have a feeling you won't like not having high beams. If you are in south Florida I work for Lexus PM me and I can have you see someone.
Old 04-12-12, 07:58 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Calvin: Thanks a lot for the input, you basically told me almost everything I need to know! I WISH I knew I could go to the dealer and have them disable the DRL, I am sure they would do it for me, I know them there and they are all nice.
that really is the best option... white LEDs in the DRL spot means your high beams become useless.

BTW - for my normal beams, shouldnt they be HID? arent they all HID on a 2008 IS350? The color on those are white, and I am not complaining on those. However, I might change them to the 6000k since I found out it would be really cheap to do it!
Nope. HIDs were not standard on the IS350 until 2011. They were optional on all previous years.

How to tell? If you have memory seats you have HIDs. If you don't then scroll through the menu options with the multi-switch (the switch to the lower left of the steering wheel that looks like <0>) and if you see an option for AFS ON/OFF you have HIDs.

The most Ideal thing for me would be to have the 2011/12 lights on the ISx50's!! I LOVE the LED's! but unfortunately, their price is outrageous!
Yup, price is nuts... plus if you did have HIDs previously you lose AFS.
Old 04-12-12, 09:54 PM
Jzsicklexi
Lead Lap

Yeah I have retrofitted Tsx projectors and 55w bulbs and ballast and with my high beams on it seriously isn't puttin any more light on the road with my setup. That's the only reason I got the LED DRLs.
This is with just my low beams on...
Old 04-12-12, 10:25 PM
istundra
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Bi-Xenon™ High-Intensity Discharge (HID) headlamps

This means. Your D4S bulbs have high beams and low beams in 1 projector.

When you do change your DRL\Highbeam 9005 bulb to LED, you still have high beams from the bi-xenon. Just not the 9005 anymore.
Old 04-12-12, 10:32 PM
meefer
Lead Lap

This is what I did.

1. Get dealer to turn off DRLs
2. Swap in new city lights from V-LEDS
3. Get HID fogs installed
4. Swap out stock HID bulb for a higher color temp (optional).

My high beams work (the light is yellow but I never use high beams anyways). I don't have DRL anymore but I don't miss them.