IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Low and turning radius? Few mm of offset make a difference?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-12, 12:25 PM
LamTheSham
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low and turning radius? Few mm of offset make a difference?

Hey guys,

I recently dumped my IS, again, but I've never been this low in the front, and it's stressing me out. LOL. Okay, so I'm running: 19x9.5 +17 (22 + 5mm spacer) and 19x10.5 +22 on 225/35-19 and 245/35-19. My fronts I would say are 1.5 finger gaps from fender to rim, and the rear is less than a finger gap from fender to rim. I don't care for rubbing in the rear. The fronts are my concern. I currently need to make a 50pt turn to make a single U-turn. If I turn the front wheel more than half a rotation, it'll hit the fender. I plan on cutting out more of my fender liner, but I also need to heatgun and hammer in this metal section that's part of the bumper. My fenders are rolled and pulled all around, more in the rear than in the front.

How is the turning radius for you guys who are dumped? If I were to replace the spacer with a 3mm or a 2mm, how much difference would that make in a turning radius? I need a minimum of 2 or 3 to clear the IS350 brakes. Should I raise the driver side a little more to accommodate for my 140lb *** and gas? :3
Old 03-06-12, 06:57 PM
B16A2NR
Rookie

What are you lowered on and what damper setting are you at? Reason I ask is because I am pretty low at a 4 finger gap from fender to rim edge, no where near 1.5 finger between fender and rim and I have rubbing issues on freeway dips. I have no idea how you can drive without rubbing at that height with your liners and metal bracket.
Old 03-06-12, 08:18 PM
LamTheSham
Pole Position

BCR on 30/30. It's really all in the fender work. We'll see. I'm gonna raise it a bit. I think 2.5 finger gap with +19 offset should be a little more driveable. We'll see. I rub crazily with no turning radius. :3
Old 03-07-12, 12:14 AM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

lol I've wondered the same thing actually. I love the very small turning radius of this car (best in class according to a giant sticker at my dealership ) but after I lowered my car I can't u turn in my street anymore without backing up once. Before I could just make a u turn from one curb to the other and make it (like... by just a little bit)

I'm only lowered 1.4 inches too! lol...
Old 03-07-12, 07:08 AM
LamTheSham
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GiantsFan
lol I've wondered the same thing actually. I love the very small turning radius of this car (best in class according to a giant sticker at my dealership ) but after I lowered my car I can't u turn in my street anymore without backing up once. Before I could just make a u turn from one curb to the other and make it (like... by just a little bit)

I'm only lowered 1.4 inches too! lol...
I'll let you know later today Raj. I raised my car back to no finger gap so I can drive it hard since I have a midterm today and I don't wanna be late. Afterwards, I'm gonna go pick up 3mm spacers and relower the car to have the front fender tuck one finger gap on the tire. Gonna pull my fenders even more and see how low I can go with a fair turning radius. :P
Old 03-07-12, 09:29 AM
B16A2NR
Rookie

I'm not sure if you haven't already done so but on the back edge of the front fender liner there is a square shape piece of plastic fender liner that is prone to rubbing. Its really the first piece of trim to rub with an aggressive offset rim, even at stock height. Make sure you heat and push that exposed piece of liner in.
Old 03-07-12, 11:10 AM
LamTheSham
Pole Position

Originally Posted by B16A2NR
I'm not sure if you haven't already done so but on the back edge of the front fender liner there is a square shape piece of plastic fender liner that is prone to rubbing. Its really the first piece of trim to rub with an aggressive offset rim, even at stock height. Make sure you heat and push that exposed piece of liner in.
Yuuuup. Already did that a while back. I never did the fender mod though. I was about 3.5 finger gaps from fender to rim before, and it never popped off, but now, a little section of the piece broke, so I have to drill a new hole and zip tie again. I think 3 finger gaps from fender to rim will be perfect. Just gonna pull my fenders more for more turning radius and yeaaah. Gonna shave my rear fenders too. :3
Old 03-07-12, 11:35 AM
B16A2NR
Rookie

Can you take a pic at your current 1.5 Finger height? I'm curious to see what it looks like. 3.5 Fingers and full stiff should do the trick for your setup, along with more fender liner massaging.
Old 03-07-12, 06:37 PM
es808
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LamTheSham....Damn bro! Again?? You're gonna have to get some custom wide body fender work done or roll the fender more before you rip the fenders right off the car Either that or invest in tons of stickers.

Good luck finding the solution. Doesn't sound like you're enjoying the low stance of your IS...at least not during the turns.
Old 03-07-12, 10:37 PM
LamTheSham
Pole Position

Originally Posted by es808
LamTheSham....Damn bro! Again?? You're gonna have to get some custom wide body fender work done or roll the fender more before you rip the fenders right off the car Either that or invest in tons of stickers.

Good luck finding the solution. Doesn't sound like you're enjoying the low stance of your IS...at least not during the turns.
LOL. It actually doesn't rub the fender at all, surprisingly. It's all liner currently. The inner most part of the liner came out a bit, so I plan on using self tappin screws just to keep it held down, and after that, I'm rub free cept in the rears, but I like the rub in the rears. Hehe.

Haha, I'm enjoying it waaaaay too much. Breaking necks at this height. Yeah, a little more fender work and turns will be cake!

I'll have pictures of the ride height later today. Gotta finish this 10pg paper and do this online quiz before I post pics. :3