IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Upgrading Audio System Help

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-12, 04:13 PM
YeezySmart
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgrading Audio System Help

Hi I am new here so I'm not sure if there is a thread on this already or if this is even in the right section, so I apologize in advance. I am looking to upgrade my sound system in my 2008 IS250. I have just the stock system in right now and don't really know anything about the system or how they all work but I am able to buy two 10' subs for a good price and am wondering if anyone has put subs in their IS250's and what they needed and how it sounds. Any help is appreciated! Thank you
Old 02-09-12, 06:17 PM
Rookie

i wanna do the same i went to a audio shop and they told me they can get it done but my rear subwoofer wont work i didnt even know i had rear subwoofer its possible for sure just find someone qualified but yeah the system in my 08 250 sucks compare to my wife 08 rx350 its loud good luck
Old 02-09-12, 06:46 PM
robertrios
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

all i did was add 2 12" W6v2s @ 1000 watts rms with a bass **** up front and i equalized mids and highs all the way up and bass flat. I adjust the bass **** depending on the type of music and it sounds great.
Old 02-09-12, 06:57 PM
DKnight350
Pole Position

There are tons of threads on this, but they are super long and the ones I saw were old :-(

I am curious about upgrades to a non-ML stereo.
Old 02-09-12, 07:18 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

here is a thread of some owners setups. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...our-setup.html
Here is what I did to my ride. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lex...with-pics.html
Here is some more questions and answers if you feel like learning. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...on-thread.html

Last edited by Sffd103; 02-09-12 at 07:27 PM.
Old 02-09-12, 07:37 PM
waffle231
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Sffd103
here is a thread of some owners setups. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...our-setup.html
Here is what I did to my ride. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lex...with-pics.html
Here is some more questions and answers if you feel like learning. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...on-thread.html
^ Enjoy the learning roller coaster
Old 02-11-12, 09:17 AM
irishcharm
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like button require for prior two posts. just start searching on the Electronics Section. Jeff L, Shibumi1, the mods, and myself are frequent responders on that section lol. there is also a thread on car audio 101 which is just a basic intro from one club member.

cheers

Last edited by irishcharm; 02-11-12 at 09:22 AM.
Old 02-11-12, 01:49 PM
jonbeezy
Driver School Candidate

I put a sub in my car its easy, no wiring running or hole drilling everything is located in the trunk on the right side under the carpet. that is where the amp to all the speakers is located, all your wires are there, the ignition and power, just make yourself a ground and its in. I would post some pics but I customily mounted my amp and tucked everything in and it would be a nightmare get all that out for a photo. I suggest getting the wire diagram to the amp, start there..and it doesnt even screw wtih your existing subwoofer

Last edited by jonbeezy; 02-11-12 at 01:52 PM.
Old 02-11-12, 05:23 PM
sushiboi
Lead Lap

I installed a subwoofer in my car a couple months after i purchased it. It was very simple. The only wire I ran through the car was for power. It was very simple and not too extravagant. Good luck on your install.

Edit: Here's a wire diagram if you plan on DIY.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
IS250 speaker diagram.pdf (120.9 KB, 256 views)
Old 02-12-12, 07:46 AM
irishcharm
Driver

Originally Posted by jonbeezy
I put a sub in my car its easy, no wiring running or hole drilling everything is located in the trunk on the right side under the carpet. that is where the amp to all the speakers is located, all your wires are there, the ignition and power, just make yourself a ground and its in. I would post some pics but I customily mounted my amp and tucked everything in and it would be a nightmare get all that out for a photo. I suggest getting the wire diagram to the amp, start there..and it doesnt even screw wtih your existing subwoofer
im curious jonbeezy. you ran no power wire for your subwoofer from the battery? I pray you didnt tap into the factory 16AWG wire for your amps power.........

also to edit. the ISx50 trunk is a sealed trunk via sheet metal and welds. with the exception of the porous grommits and the all but sealed passthrough the trunk is locked down. so you will need a considerable amount of power for subs to achieve a rich bass. example: 2 12" subs and a 1000W amp in a ford explorer will sound much "louder" then the same setup in the ISx50 due to the overall cubic volume of air in the vehicle since the trunk is part of the cabin of the explorer. follow?

Last edited by irishcharm; 02-12-12 at 07:50 AM.
Old 02-13-12, 09:47 AM
jonbeezy
Driver School Candidate

No i didnt run no power wire from battery, I used everything off the existing amp, I installed a fuse as well. I have had it like this for two years I havent had a problem, It hits with one 12" W2, the amp comes right out, just unscrew it and test all wires with a meter. There is not anything critical back there with your amp, its simply hooked up back there like a aftermarket setup, if you are a stereo junkie like me its easy.
Old 02-13-12, 10:01 AM
dillon1493
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jonbeezy
No i didnt run no power wire from battery, I used everything off the existing amp, I installed a fuse as well. I have had it like this for two years I havent had a problem, It hits with one 12" W2, the amp comes right out, just unscrew it and test all wires with a meter. There is not anything critical back there with your amp, its simply hooked up back there like a aftermarket setup, if you are a stereo junkie like me its easy.
you make it sound so damn easy. but everyone i've talked to and all the posts have made it seem so much more complicating than unhooking the oem amp and just connecting an aftermarket one. hopefully i can just do it the way you said, it'll make my life so much easier
Old 02-13-12, 10:28 AM
irishcharm
Driver

I am a stereo junkie and a nationally certified installer of car audio.

jon there IS an issue with your setup. just because you havent had a problem doesnt mean that your wiring is correct.

the reason is that the current needed for an amp cannot be supplied with a small gauge wire. hence why most amp kits start at 10 AWG. the amp demands power and your a. not giving it enough and b. causing a risk of wire melting/damage due to the wire size. also, there is a reason that car audio dealers carry amp hookup kits. If we all did your setup and it was safe there would be no need to sell or have said kits.there are many other installers that can and will back up my statement.

NOT trying to start a flame war. just my $0.02 and thats all.
Old 02-13-12, 12:02 PM
jonbeezy
Driver School Candidate

hey,

you guys do it your way, like i said i have had mine like this for two years and no problems, if the wires cant handle the amps, then fuse would blow protecting the system. I installed this with an old circuit city installer, he said the old lexus, such as the Gs300 and Is 200, this is how they did it. I kept the existing sub and tapped in another amp, it hits and works great!! Go ahead drill holes through fire wall, bust your leather seats up and all the panels inside, not my car!! this is the best way and I recommend it hightly, no hard feelings....
Old 02-13-12, 01:21 PM
vangis350
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

To the OP, it's not that difficult if you know what you're doing. It all comes down to do you know what you're doing or not.

Take a look at this thread and do a little research: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-pictures.html

hey,

you guys do it your way, like i said i have had mine like this for two years and no problems, if the wires cant handle the amps, then fuse would blow protecting the system. I installed this with an old circuit city installer, he said the old lexus, such as the Gs300 and Is 200, this is how they did it. I kept the existing sub and tapped in another amp, it hits and works great!! Go ahead drill holes through fire wall, bust your leather seats up and all the panels inside, not my car!! this is the best way and I recommend it hightly, no hard feelings....
No flaming here but irishcharm is correct, using too small of a wire to power the amp can cause the wire to melt and possibly start a fire. It is your car but I'm just giving you a heads up as well.

Also, if you take a look at the thread above you will see that no drill is necessary. You will have to remove the scuff plates and rear seat but is still an easy job overall. Many people have followed that thread with much success.

Quick Reply: Upgrading Audio System Help