IS250 2010 128K miles - Considering Purchasing but Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-23, 05:53 PM
jhollywood
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IS250 2010 128K miles - Considering Purchasing but Questions

Hey all,

I am considering buying a 2010 IS250C with 128k miles on it. I originally wanted the is350 but having trouble finding one in my 13k budget...

I've read all about the carbon build up, but I guess my question is, if a mechanic checks to see if there is build up before I buy it, am I good to go? I only drive 10k miles a year and want it for about 3-5 years.
Old 06-10-23, 06:30 PM
firestart9
Intermediate

Received 56 Likes on 50 Posts

Where are you from? California or Calgary or Canada?

There are many things that can be wrong with any car. Do you have maintenance records of anything done on the car? Spark plugs. oil changes, fluid swaps?

There are definitely IS350s out there but you're gonna have to consider traveling and other things to get into one. Altho I'm not in USA. I see them here so they must be in USA.
Old 06-10-23, 06:37 PM
jhollywood
9th Gear

Hey! Thanks so much for the reply.

I'm in California (LA area).

There's a free Carfax report on the site: https://www.friendsautogroup.net/veh...cb16fde87e6ced
I wonder how much will an inspection can help me feel comfortable before buying; if there's a way to check for carbon build up and, if there isn't, how much time that actually gives me assuming it will start building up.

Apologies in advance if that doesn't make sense, I'm not the savviest with cars! I just like convertibles and heard Lexus' were the most solid. As said, I don't drive much.
Old 06-10-23, 06:42 PM
firestart9
Intermediate

The spark plugs should have been done between 60,000 and 100,000 miles IMO. I don't see that on the CarFax.

You could ask for a discount for that alone. Or tell them to do the spark plugs BEFORE you buy the car. And your mechanic should be able to take one spark plug out without needing to remove the air intake to check their condition.

I have a 2011 IS250. Make sure you take an extended test drive at highway speed.

It could be a good car, you're doing the right thing coming on here to ask questions & getting a PPI.

Last edited by firestart9; 06-10-23 at 06:57 PM.
Old 06-10-23, 07:08 PM
jhollywood
9th Gear

Shouldn't it also need a transmission fluid change as well? I don't see that either.

Thanks!!

I found an 2010 IS350 for about 14 with the same miles... no carfax report on it yet. Drove an hour and a half to the dealership when they said to come check it out and they didn't have it yet (still being shipped from auction). Their cars were filthy and they were really unorganized but not sure that should make an impact on my deicsion from buying an IS1350 for 14 (I can probably get them down to 12 or 13 (including taxes, etc).
Old 06-10-23, 07:28 PM
firestart9
Intermediate

The photos of the IS250C make it look like a very good car.

The thing about customer service is that if someone pisses you off, wastes your time or annoys you, it might be a red flag about doing business with them.

Here's a 2007 going for $8,000 USD in Canada: https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details...dId=1661772326

I test drove a 2011 IS350 and a 2014 IS350 and I liked them both. Only issue from my end was fuel consumption MUCH higher than base IS250. Much more power and if you get a good car, you're going to be happier.

There are lots of IS250 owners who have no issues with carbon or if it becomes an issue its at much higher mileage. Walnut blasting is a few hundred bucks and you can always get the intakes cleaned annually. My mechanic recommended a 3000-km oil change interval to deal with the carbon issue.

Let us know how you make out!
Old 06-10-23, 07:48 PM
jhollywood
9th Gear

Cool.

So my last car was an Audi A4 Convertible 09 and had it for 3 years then it started burning oil to a point where the engine needed to be replaced. Thankfully I sold it off to Carmax for a decent price (after doing the math, I only spent 80 bucks a month for 3 years to have a fun time with the car. That said, it's made me pretty terrified anything involving oil consumption, burning, piston rings, and carbon build up.

So when I googled IS250, you can imagine I panicked a bit when I said the floods of message boards about it. Good reminder that it's not ALWAYS an issue.

Yeah I'll see after the PPI.
Old 06-10-23, 08:32 PM
firestart9
Intermediate

There's a dude on these forums who bought an ultra low-mileage IS250 from a dealer and has taken legal action to try to get a buyback or critical repairs done and then there's another dude who rolled up past 500,000 km in his IS250 on the original engine/transmission: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...f-million.html

I had no idea about the direct injection/carbon build-up issue in these cars until after I bought my IS250. I certainly wouldn't have bought it if I'd known...but its a moot point since my car is OK...not even at 65,000 miles and rarely driven.

If it helps, I've seen a lot of higher-KM IS250s here in Canada for sale, still running strong. Then again, no reason you can't find an IS350 or even an IS350C. $16,000 USD for this one in Calgary, Alberta: https://www.autotrader.ca/a/lexus/is...0044278927706/
The following users liked this post:
Protholl (06-11-23)
Old 06-11-23, 05:49 PM
Protholl
Advanced

Received 165 Likes on 136 Posts

If you have the VIN then go ahead and create an account on the Lexus website... make it your primary vehicle and see (for free) everything that has been completed by a Lexus dealership.

https://support.lexus.com/s/article/...ew-my-ser-8226
The following users liked this post:
firestart9 (06-11-23)
Old 06-12-23, 11:14 AM
jhollywood
9th Gear

Originally Posted by firestart9
There's a dude on these forums who bought an ultra low-mileage IS250 from a dealer and has taken legal action to try to get a buyback or critical repairs done and then there's another dude who rolled up past 500,000 km in his IS250 on the original engine/transmission: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...f-million.html

I had no idea about the direct injection/carbon build-up issue in these cars until after I bought my IS250. I certainly wouldn't have bought it if I'd known...but its a moot point since my car is OK...not even at 65,000 miles and rarely driven.

If it helps, I've seen a lot of higher-KM IS250s here in Canada for sale, still running strong. Then again, no reason you can't find an IS350 or even an IS350C. $16,000 USD for this one in Calgary, Alberta: https://www.autotrader.ca/a/lexus/is...0044278927706/
/
I found someone to do a PPI and have heard they are solid. I brought up the Lexus carbon build up, but he asked where the carbon build up happens the most? Is there a specific place in the is250's car's engine that the build up happens?
Old 06-12-23, 07:19 PM
jhollywood
9th Gear

Hey,

So I got the cardfax for the IS350c I liked (the one where they said the car was there but it wasn't)
https://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistor...pgYJ964gUA2i8R

Any redflags? It's odd that at 70k the tires were replaced then again at 90k miles....
Old 06-13-23, 02:57 PM
firestart9
Intermediate

What kind of accident was it involved in? The tires were replaced after the accident. The seller can know this via a paint meter measuring the paint thickness. Even if its not on the records.

Last edited by firestart9; 06-13-23 at 03:29 PM.
Old 06-13-23, 07:18 PM
jhollywood
9th Gear

I do not know; the seller/dealership is still waiting to get the car from the auction they got it out - as stated before, they are not great to deal with (they had me drive out there, then I found out it's not there). I would likely need to ask the mechanic that would inspect the car; I simply don't trust the dealership. The price is solid and I prefer the 350 because it has secondary port injections (I really worry about this carbon build up since that's what happened to my audi like I mentioned).

That all said, I am still somewhat open to the is250 we discussed before as I realize I may be overreacting to the carbon build up... here is that carfax compared to the 350 we're discussing now...
https://www.friendsautogroup.net/veh...cb16fde87e6ced
No accidents...

Same year, same price (roughly), same mileage. Carbon build up and carfax reports the key variables, pending the inspections of course.
Old 06-13-23, 07:30 PM
firestart9
Intermediate

Cars are tricky because it all comes down to what we want. Many people don't care and will just buy anything that looks right or has the right badge. Or the salesman seduces them and then they're into a relationship with a vehicle.

I've always put a lot of thought into my purchase, moreso cos its a USED car and its my own money. I've made buying mistakes in the past and then made the same mistakes again.

Buying used cars comes down to price vs value vs intangibles. The intangible here is you want either a luxury car, a convertible or a fast car. The IS350 is properly FAST and since you didn't mention needing a manual (only IS250 comes in manual), the 350 is a better choice.

It sucks when a dealer/seller you mistrust or with shoddy customer service has a car you like. I went through this with a RAV4 a few years back. In the end, the EXACT same year, model, options and mileage RAV4 popped up with a dealer who was willing to meet my price. So I won by holding out and continuing to look around.

My advice is to avoid settling. I don't see anything horribly wrong with the IS250C you are looking at. It will do the job. But test drive a IS350 and lay the power down on the highway. Ask yourself what you can't live without.

If you're not under time pressure to replace your daily driver, keep looking. Look out-of-state. I found my IS250 1000 miles away; flew out, drove it back. It was the best deal I've ever seen on an IS250 btw. Altho I've found just as good deals on IS350s!

Good luck keep us looped in.

Old 06-14-23, 02:54 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,260 Likes on 1,000 Posts

Yes be patience and keep looking for a IS350 instead.

Quick Reply: IS250 2010 128K miles - Considering Purchasing but Questions